Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 14-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 04:01 PM)Andy Wrote:  NBC News Now running with Sky News coverage with their own logo which animates in to the skynews.com logo. 

[Image: IMG_1490.png]

Oh no, how will the Americans cope with this level of visual staidness?

RE: Sky News - James2001 - 14-10-2023

Looking on virgin, said simulcast is quite poor picture quality and out of sync!

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 14-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 04:06 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Oh no, how will the Americans cope with this level of visual staidness?

It's almost as if they are trying to acclimatise their audience ...

How many NBC viewers are actually aware of Sky, one might think that if they ever wanted to combine forces on screen in the future, the more people are aware that the two networks are related, then it makes more sense and thus the existing audience might still tune in.

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 14-10-2023

What is the actual point of NBC News Now? I don't understand why they just don't stream NBC News, why simulcast Sky News? NBC has enough resources to use its own correspondents. I just struggle to think of a logical point of it, other than a cheap way of testing the water for some cross-brand future output, as per the cancelled NBC Sky World News (which was always too much of a mouthful).

Out of interest, on an international perspective, does NBC have more traction that Sky, or vice versa, or about the same? If Sky is more appealing internationally, then it makes more sense for them to use Sky as the international brand, and keep NBC as a domestic US news source.

RE: Sky News - Orry Verducci - 14-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 07:38 PM)Neon Pig Wrote:  What is the actual point of NBC News Now? I don't understand why they just don't stream NBC News, why simulcast Sky News? NBC has enough resources to use its own correspondents. I just struggle to think of a logical point of it, other than a cheap way of testing the water for some cross-brand future output, as per the cancelled NBC Sky World News (which was always too much of a mouthful).

Out of interest, on an international perspective, does NBC have more traction that Sky, or vice versa, or about the same? If Sky is more appealing internationally, then it makes more sense for them to use Sky as the international brand, and keep NBC as a domestic US news source.

The trouble they have is because it's their freely available streaming service, it can't simulcast MSNBC's coverage. As MSNBC is a pay TV service doing so would upset the US cable companies, as recently seen with CNN Max.

So in situations like this where there's major news unfolding, they don't have their own programmes scheduled and can't simulcast MSNBC, simulcasting Sky News is a quick and easy solution.

RE: Sky News - Gibsy - 16-10-2023

Anna Botting presenting live in Tel Aviv.

RE: Sky News - Gibsy - 16-10-2023

Christina Nicolotti Squires leaves Sky News to join Ofcom.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 16-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 08:38 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  So in situations like this where there's major news unfolding, they don't have their own programmes scheduled and can't simulcast MSNBC, simulcasting Sky News is a quick and easy solution.

Also keep in mind, NBC News Now is a streaming operation and typically not anchored overnights. Neither is the other news streamers for the most part. NBC Universal/Comcast of course owns SkyNews. Its a very cheap and economical solution to utilize a resource you already have than powering up a studio and gallery plus overtime for news anchors and correspondents. We all know that SkyNews is loss maker. Why not make some advert money off it in the US and stream it everywhere as much as possible. (Its streaming on everything in the US) But, SkyNews is not as well known in the US, like say the BBC. Its not a household name. And since NewsCorp/Rupert Murdoch/BSkyB...blah blah sold off Sky to NBC/Comcast its tricky about who its partnered with and why suddenly its linked up with NBC News after years of being link with FoxNewsChannel. But this simulcast on NBC News Now is a smart, economical move by NBC/Comcast. Monetize what you got and its still fresh information overnight. And its streaming everywhere. But i do think NBC and Sky should collaborate more. Use NBC reporters and correspondents in the US and vice versa.

RE: Sky News - sky303 - 16-10-2023

Interestingly Sky News is on Comcast/Xfinity systems as a channel in the US, they added it in a section with other streaming channels like NBC NEWS NOW , and can be accessed like a normal channel.

RE: Sky News - interestednovice - 17-10-2023

(14-10-2023, 12:09 AM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  [Image: IMG-7715.jpg]

It certainly is a change of visuals for basically a channel thats become quite visually staid.
I do like the idea of maybe doing newsroom hour regularly. Change up the visuals.
Im a presentation person, so I think in the spot over his left shoulder they could put a SkyNews logo on the wall. Maybe a few uplights for visual interest just behind the DTL position. Wouldnt be a massive expensive. It would be nice if they had a video ribbon installed in the back ground. With the ticker data scrolling. it would be blurred, so it probably wouldn't be that distracting. Just needs a little something else. But what a good change.
This right-in-the-newsroom shot is quite nice, as you say, and reminiscent of CNN Early Start’s set (especially their old set in Columbus Circle).

I agree that a logo in the corner, plus some additional lighting, wouldn’t go amiss but it’s already quite visually appealing as it is.