Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 31-10-2023

(30-10-2023, 07:19 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  Barbara is very good.  She did have a slight mishap on Saturday by saying thank you for joining us on Al Jazeera then soon said Siy News.

Oops, that's a sackable offense, I'm sure.  Big Grin

RE: Sky News - Neil Jones - 31-10-2023

I notice most of the UK broadcasters that are taking the Covid enquiry (including Sky News) feed live have been forced to pop up new graphics because of some of the language being quoted in the internal emails/WhatsApp/discussion trails. Indeed Sky News kept chirping in with verbal apologies and saying they had no control over it.

Well that might be true but is there not an editorial argument/justification to include this language if Ofcom get involved off the back of complaints? Yes it may have been internal correspondence and never intended to be seen or heard of again (anybody in any workplace having a discussion with somebody else about work, procedures or whatver out of earshot of any superior, once they get on a soapbox probably make Roy Chubby Brown look family friendly by comparison) but if nothing else its an interesting insight into how government works, and how copious compromises have to be made to get anything done.

(31-10-2023, 02:13 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I notice most of the UK broadcasters that are taking the Covid enquiry (including Sky News) feed live have been forced to pop up new graphics because of some of the language being quoted in the internal emails/WhatsApp/discussion trails.  Indeed Sky News kept chirping in with verbal apologies and saying they had no control over it.

Well that might be true but is there not an editorial argument/justification to include this language if Ofcom get involved off the back of complaints?  Yes it may have been internal correspondence and never intended to be seen or heard of again (anybody in any workplace having a discussion with somebody else about work, procedures or whatver out of earshot of any superior, once they get on a soapbox probably make Roy Chubby Brown look family friendly by comparison) but if nothing else its an interesting insight into how government works, and how copious compromises have to be made to get anything done.

No idea, but it does raise the point that as a news channel, reporting live events, should it have to be so precious about the broadcast of profanities that may distress some people. In the bigger picture, it hardly compares to distressing news of reporting thousands of people dead from war, or a tragic natural disaster.

Obviously, as tempting as it might be at times, presenters shouldn't start swearing at politicians and guests alike.

RE: Sky News - Neil Jones - 31-10-2023

(31-10-2023, 02:59 PM)Neon Pig Wrote:  Obviously, as tempting as it might be at times, presenters shouldn't start swearing at politicians and guests alike.

That's given.
However I was referring to the correspondence that has been quoted ad-verbatim.

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 31-10-2023

Today must be a record for how many times they have to apologise for the language being said. 😂

RE: Sky News - Alf Stewart - 31-10-2023

I was surprised there wasn't a short delay in showing the enquiry to allow the broadcasters an opportunity to fade out some of the more 'offensive' words.

Either way I'm sure Mr Outraged of The Arse End of Nowhere will be penning his letter of complaint not to Ofcom as we speak

(31-10-2023, 04:54 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  That's given.
However I was referring to the correspondence that has been quoted ad-verbatim.

Yeah, I can't see any justifiable reason any complaint could be upheld. It's a statement of fact. And quite frankly, anyone that fragile shouldn't be watching the news.

But you're right, it does give an interesting and sobering insight into how government is run, or not as some might argue.

(31-10-2023, 06:48 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I was surprised there wasn't a short delay in showing the enquiry to allow the broadcasters an opportunity to fade out some of the more 'offensive' words.

Either way I'm sure Mr Outraged of The Arse End of Nowhere will be penning his letter of complaint not to Ofcom as we speak

True, but that might require a full time job!

RE: Sky News - Nobby - 31-10-2023

(31-10-2023, 06:48 PM)Alf Stewart Wrote:  I was surprised there wasn't a short delay in showing the enquiry to allow the broadcasters an opportunity to fade out some of the more 'offensive' words.
It's news, not Big Brother.

RE: Sky News - London Lite - 31-10-2023

While the Covid inquiry is very important, I wish Sky would bring back the channel that aired other news while this is going on.