Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Humphrey Hacker - 31-10-2023

A few points about the enquiry.

Firstly it's right that a lot of coverage be given over to it. The situation in the Middle East is serious but the events in the UK over the past 3 years are more important than what's going on thousands of miles away.

The language is appalling but Sky et al are right in broadcasting it because it's showing us what modern political thinking is and I'm sure that future students will be shown extracts.

Finally (and this may prevent the post from being put up) Its the first real stretching of PC's rules about discussing non presentation politics.

RE: Sky News - Alf Stewart - 01-11-2023

(31-10-2023, 07:23 PM)Nobby Wrote:  It's news, not Big Brother.
Well pardon me for breathing

RE: Sky News - Nobby - 01-11-2023

You are pardoned for breathing but for calling for (more) censorship in news, you are NOT pardoned. That's a very dangerous thing to ask for.

RE: Sky News - Brekkie - 01-11-2023

(31-10-2023, 07:32 PM)London Lite Wrote:  While the Covid inquiry is very important, I wish Sky would bring back the channel that aired other news while this is going on.
I'm surprised nobody seems to have done a pop up channel for the covid inquiry considering they've been done for US trial in the past.

And of course the strong language should be showed - and OFCOM rules don't actually prevent such language pre-watershed if it's justified by the context - especially on a channel not likely to be watched by children and especially if warnings are given.

RE: Sky News - Neil Jones - 01-11-2023

Daily Fail has picked the story up of the broadcasting of the language, though the issues seem to be more about the interruption for the apology itself rather than the language... which is interesting.

The language itself shouldn't be a surprise by this point I feel - its common knowledge by now that the chap in question has been highly critical of government at that time ever since he left it - and lets face it, if he wasn't giving evidence the proceedings wouldn't have been televised anyway this day. The broadcasters were almost certainly aware of what was going to come out when Cummings was on the stand, so I don't think it should have been a total surprise.

but anyway, lets see if Ofcom get involved and what they have to say, if anything.

RE: Sky News - Humphrey Hacker - 01-11-2023

I think OFCOM will have to take into account the gravity of the situation that was being discussed and accept that emotions were very high at the time and that the language was as result of that.

RE: Sky News - callumwatchestelly - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 09:48 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Daily Fail has picked the story up of the broadcasting of the language, though the issues seem to be more about the interruption for the apology itself rather than the language... which is interesting.

The language itself shouldn't be a surprise by this point I feel - its common knowledge by now that the chap in question has been highly critical of government at that time ever since he left it - and lets face it, if he wasn't giving evidence the proceedings wouldn't have been televised anyway this day.  The broadcasters were almost certainly aware of what was going to come out when Cummings was on the stand, so I don't think it should have been a total surprise.

but anyway, lets see if Ofcom get involved and what they have to say, if anything.

They'll either give a slap on the wrist style punishment or say nothing.

RE: Sky News - Humphrey Hacker - 01-11-2023

(01-11-2023, 12:15 PM)callumwatchestelly Wrote:  They'll either give a slap on the wrist style punishment or say nothing.

I hope it's the second option. I say that because this is a (hopefully) unique situation and the media have been justified in showing the enquiry warts and all.

If OFCOM were to issue a slap on the wrist then it would make a mockery of the coverage and infantilise the viewers.

RE: Sky News - skynewsfreak - 02-11-2023

Don’t think the afternoon slot really suits Kamali Melbourne - I find his presentation when talking to camera and in interviews awkward and stuttery. He seemed more at ease on the early slot.

RE: Sky News - bob - 02-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 04:39 PM)skynewsfreak Wrote:  Don’t think the afternoon slot really suits Kamali Melbourne - I find his presentation when talking to camera and in interviews awkward and stuttery. He seemed more at ease on the early slot.

I totally agree, I find his pauses and manner really off putting.  I just don't watch when he is on now.