Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 02-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 04:39 PM)skynewsfreak Wrote:  Don’t think the afternoon slot really suits Kamali Melbourne - I find his presentation when talking to camera and in interviews awkward and stuttery. He seemed more at ease on the early slot.

While I never watched the Early Rundown, because I was never watching the news at that time, and therefore can't compare how he has faired in both slots, I do agree that I find his presentation to awkward at times. I do think he has got better, or perhaps more comfortable, since he first started (not unsurprisingly).

For me, it's not that I think he lacks ability, in fact, he has the potential to be good, but he comes across as nervous. For example, he inhales a lot during delivering the headlines or interviewing and often talks quite fast. He has worked on enunciation I think, and by this I mean pronouncing the letter Ts more clearly (while I know this is very common these days, it bugs the hell out of me as news always seemed to be immune to more casual styles of talking). Also, he fidgets and adjusts his suit a lot while talking to guests in the studio, in particular at the Wall. Then there is the slamming of the hand on the desk. It doesn't provide a calm and collected delivery style that, at least for me, is comfortable to watch.

Obviously, I have about this a lot and need to get out more. I think he just needs more time, I remember Kimberley Leonard being painful to watch at first, to then having to eat my words when she became one of the presenters I liked the most.

I think Belle Donati exhibits some degrees of nervousness too and maybe they both needed to cut their teeth on weekends more. But I've also wondered that if they still did double-headed presentation, newer presenters could be paired with more experienced ones.

RE: Sky News - Humphrey Hacker - 03-11-2023

(02-11-2023, 05:03 PM)Neon Pig Wrote:  While I never watched the Early Rundown, because I was never watching the news at that time, and therefore can't compare how he has faired in both slots, I do agree that I find his presentation to awkward at times. I do think he has got better, or perhaps more comfortable, since he first started (not unsurprisingly).

For me, it's not that I think he lacks ability, in fact, he has the potential to be good, but he comes across as nervous. For example, he inhales a lot during delivering the headlines or interviewing and often talks quite fast. He has worked on enunciation I think, and by this I mean pronouncing the letter Ts more clearly (while I know this is very common these days, it bugs the hell out of me as news always seemed to be immune to more casual styles of talking). Also, he fidgets and adjusts his suit a lot while talking to guests in the studio, in particular at the Wall. Then there is the slamming of the hand on the desk. It doesn't provide a calm and collected delivery style that, at least for me, is comfortable to watch.

Obviously, I have about this a lot and need to get out more. I think he just needs more time, I remember Kimberley Leonard being painful to watch at first, to then having to eat my words when she became one of the presenters I liked the most.

I think Belle Donati exhibits some degrees of nervousness too and maybe they both needed to cut their teeth on weekends more. But I've also wondered that if they still did double-headed presentation, newer presenters could be paired with more experienced ones.
The idea of a senior-junior setup is a sound one. I can see Kay, Sarah-Jane and Mark slotting into the senior roles very easily.

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 03-11-2023

Has a normal news program been presented from the City studio before? Ian King is currently presenting the News Hour from it.

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 03-11-2023

(03-11-2023, 06:01 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Has a normal news program been presented from the City studio before? Ian King is currently presenting the News Hour from it.

Seems a bit unusual. I imagine they might doing test runs for Niall's new show launch in Westminster. But I don't know why someone isn't in the glass box, especially as they are using it for a military update. Would Mark Austin have been scheduled to present? There may have been technical issues preventing him from doing do, but I'm not sure why Ian King would be called upon to cover as they normally have someone else on standby in the glass box.

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 03-11-2023

Now Ashish Joshi is presenting from the Glass Box, I assume someone is off sick or something.

RE: Sky News - watchingtv - 03-11-2023

This is meant to be Jonathan Samuel's slot.

RE: Sky News - SB678 - 03-11-2023

https://twitter.com/ashishskynews/status/1720506626824712193 

I think Ashish did a very good job, especially given the circumstances.

RE: Sky News - AJB39 - 03-11-2023

I really like the night-time cityscape background to Friday Night with Niall Patterson.

RE: Sky News - Luc - 03-11-2023

Yep it looks great and Niall is fab as usual. Show itself feels a little like a patchwork and combination of all their previous and current news chat shows though (press preview, week in review, politics hub).

RE: Sky News - harshy - 03-11-2023

Where’s Yalda show the sky epg still showing as Sky News next week.