Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

Worzel - Worzel - 14-11-2023

(13-11-2023, 06:37 PM)harshy Wrote:  I am not frustrated other then I’m sure someone on here announced a date of November and just wondered that’s all.
I don't understand how people can expect someone to just leave broadcaster A on one day and start on air with broadcaster B the next day or even the next week.

It takes time to learn different computer systems, news-gathering operations, workflow, (and get used to it). That's not even factoring in studio rehearsals, dry runs etc.

Some people also like to have a break before starting new job.

As someone who's had to do most of the above in the last few months myself, although primarily in an off air capacity, its best to get used to the workflow before diving in the deep end.

harshy - harshy - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 12:38 AM)Worzel Wrote:  I don't understand how people can expect someone to just leave broadcaster A on one day and start on air with broadcaster B the next day or even the next week.

It takes time to learn different computer systems, news-gathering operations, workflow, (and get used to it). That's not even factoring in studio rehearsals, dry runs etc.

Some people also like to have a break before starting new job.

As someone who's had to do most of the above in the last few months myself, although primarily in an off air capacity, its best to get used to the workflow before diving in the deep end.

Again I just want to to say I am not frustrated I just remember something mentioning a date and just wondered why it wasn’t on air I am sorry I took it as a date that it was meant to be on air.

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 14-11-2023

Looks like a number of presentational changes to The News Hour. Mark Austin is standing up at the intro and top story again and the glass box is lit up more blue. He's also sitting at bottomr right of the table rather than the left. This is the first time I have seen this in a while so not sure if this started a few weeks ago or today.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 06:02 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Looks like a number of presentational changes to The News Hour. Mark Austin is standing up at the intro and top story again and the glass box is lit up more blue. This is the first time I have seen this in a while so not sure if this started a few weeks ago or today.

This is what the channel needed. Something to change it up a bit. Its only blue lights, but is a positive change than the beige hospital corridor view. It actually looked nice. Watching Beth Rigby Live from DTL flashcam from Westminster....eeek the sound is horrible. That needs fixing. And they need to fix the angle of the monitor behind her so there is no reflections and the plain Blue background is a bit ick. Could they have had added a image of the Palace of Westminster or something under the blue so its not quite so plain but still subtle? But the new look of Marks programme and UK Tonight is good direction to go in. Even the Early Start is ok. But it needs livening up Its all a bit too hushed and slow. I think they need quicker story runs. More weather hits. Even having it on the big screen. SHots of cities across the country in out of breaks. But no happy talk. Just keep it hard news. But speed it up. Not many people are sitting around. People are getting dressed. Waking up the kids, breakfast. A faster rundown and a FEELING of speed probably works for the morning broadcasts.

Ekkk why can I hear the gallery giving directions. Again not sure why breaking news seems to me....I'll be kind....not handled as smoothly as it used to. Likely partially down to single headed presentation.

RE: Sky News - matthieu1221 - 14-11-2023

Yesterday's coverage was great but I really do wish they made breaking news less 'apologetic'. I know it's very American to make it all brash but something like a 'happening now' wipe with a jingle a la CNN to catch your attention when a new appointment was announced would've been brilliant. Not OTT, just enough to catch your attention when it matters.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 07:31 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  Yesterday's coverage was great but I really do wish they made breaking news less 'apologetic'. I know it's very American to make it all brash but something like a 'happening now' wipe with a jingle a la CNN to catch your attention when a new appointment was announced would've been brilliant. Not OTT, just enough to catch your attention when it matters.

I totally agree to a point. ITs really odd how they present breaking news.  WIth the hushed sorry to interrupt the news style of speaking. CNN goes over-board unfortunately. Not like back in the day when something was actually breaking news.  But respectfully...SkyNews was "brash" for years before this quiet (White bright) rebrand. They had the signature swoosh and the newswall turning red and that was certainly unique to SkyNews I dont recall any American news channel doing something like that.

Im all for bringing back the SWOOSH and animation in the back ground. Maybe more subtle to fit the new style. But now it kinda washes over you.

This wasnt everyones favourite era. But it was mine. They really knew how to present breaking news back then.
https://youtu.be/VcmY5lkg-Tk?si=NOGF52pmH8HikZBF&t=69 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCY4EinEAfo 

RE: Sky News - harshy - 14-11-2023

I did like that era of Sky News indeed Sky of that era and before it was more brash and unique where todays Sky is more mainstream so you don’t really see the brashness anymore in its presentation.

RE: Sky News - telleyhead - 14-11-2023

Having the newsroom and the wall really helped, the lifeless fishbowl is a waste of time and offers nothing presentation or content wise.

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 14-11-2023

The trend - including in the US too - has been away from brash and loud.

Good.

RE: Sky News - Skygeek - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 09:17 PM)telleyhead Wrote:  Having the newsroom and the wall really helped, the lifeless fishbowl is a waste of time and offers nothing presentation or content wise.
How does it offer nothing content-wise?

Sky journalists are putting themselves in danger to report (excellently) from conflict zones, but apparently that doesn't matter because there isn't a musical sting when there's breaking news.