Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

harshy - harshy - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 09:56 PM)all new phil Wrote:  The trend - including in the US too - has been away from brash and loud.

Good.
Well there’s still shades of it, you can tell you are watching Sky as the graphics still make the swooshy sound like it did when it was first introduced on action replays back in the early 90s so I imagine there are still some people who work there are from this era too possibly?

RE: Sky News - Rdd - 14-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 08:43 PM)harshy Wrote:  I did like that era of Sky News indeed Sky of that era and before it was more brash and unique where todays Sky is more mainstream so you don’t really see the brashness anymore in its presentation.
I really think that was the worst Sky News ever was - the “slug” in particular (especially at first before it was reduced in size) made it look like a tabloid red top. The Newswall was great, mind you, but when it went into Breaking News mode it looked horrific.

You also have to appreciate that was the era when Sky News moved away from its original “news on the hour, features on the half hour” format to a purely rolling news format. A lot of those features programmes were dumped overnight (in the middle of the day, actually!) when the 2001 general election was called and originally it was thought the plan was to bring them back but that never happened and they all ended very abruptly which a lot of fans of those programmes (especially Martin Stanford’s Technofile) were unhappy about. Even bulletin names disappeared from on-screen at least for a while.

And the debacle with the theme music suddenly being replaced for rights reasons - little did we know that the melody it was hastily replaced with would still be with us 20 years later! That first version wasn’t great, but then it got a brill orchestral rendition at the 2005 relaunch which has never been bettered.

RE: Sky News - mouseboy33 - 15-11-2023

(14-11-2023, 10:00 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  How does it offer nothing content-wise?

Sky journalists are putting themselves in danger to report (excellently) from conflict zones, but apparently that doesn't matter because there isn't a musical sting when there's breaking news.
its certainly quality journalism. Most appreciate the work of the reporters from SkyNews, NBC CNN, BBC and everyone else working hard in the warzone. Rest assured. But we also enjoy discussing the presentation of said channels without denigrating their work.

Creatively, I think the channel is finally waking up and they starting to bring in a livelier look. (The new colourful lighting in the cube and the new intros and presentation style of UK Tonight) Presentation in a visual medium like television is very important.

RE: Sky News - Skygeek - 15-11-2023

(15-11-2023, 02:06 AM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  But we also enjoy discussing the presentation of said channels without denigrating their work.
I would suggest that saying the channel "offers nothing content-wise" *does* denigrate that work.

RE: Sky News - Pips2022 - 15-11-2023

The reporting on Sky News is as good as you’d see elsewhere, but the ‘lifeless fishbowl’ really does drag the whole thing down now. It’s just not very distinctive anymore and especially anodyne during the day.

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 15-11-2023

Wilfred Frost has been sent to present outside the Supreme Court this morning. Looks like Kay wrapped up at 9:50am and handed to Wilfred then so NBC News Now will miss the first ten mins.

RE: Sky News - sjhoward - 15-11-2023

(15-11-2023, 09:34 AM)Skygeek Wrote:  I would suggest that saying the channel "offers nothing content-wise" *does* denigrate that work.

In fairness, telleyhead said “the lifeless fishbowl“ offered nothing content-wise, not the channel as a whole. 

This is a reasonable point: previous sets contributed to the content in active ways, such as the sandbox or some of the ways the newswall was used. There’s nothing that stands out to me in the current set as integral to the content, which is underlined by the way that shows occasionally use other studios with no change in content. In contrast, it would have been impossible for the presenter to do a live sandbox explainer from the old Millbank set, which was built with its own specific presentation style in mind.

Having sets which are mostly interchangeable and don't actively contribute to the content is a notable change of approach. Pointing that out isn't denigrating anything.

RE: Sky News - sigma421 - 15-11-2023

NBC News now feed (at least on Sky) making it sound like Beth Rigby has inhaled rather a lot of helium

https://twitter.com/adamcobb/status/1724730123994148887 

RE: Sky News - Luc - 15-11-2023

(15-11-2023, 10:54 AM)sjhoward Wrote:  In fairness, telleyhead said “the lifeless fishbowl“ offered nothing content-wise, not the channel as a whole. 

This is a reasonable point: previous sets contributed to the content in active ways, such as the sandbox or some of the ways the newswall was used. There’s nothing that stands out to me in the current set as integral to the content, which is underlined by the way that shows occasionally use other studios with no change in content. In contrast, it would have been impossible for the presenter to do a live sandbox explainer from the old Millbank set, which was built with its own specific presentation style in mind.

Having sets which are mostly interchangeable and don't actively contribute to the content is a notable change of approach. Pointing that out isn't denigrating anything.

That's exactly how I interpreted it, along with probably anybody who wasn't spoiling for an argument. TV is a visual medium in every single way and this is a presentation forum! 
On that note, good to see Wilfred Frost sent out to the Supreme Court for reaction to the Rwanda decision, made things seem a bit more dynamic and reactive.

RE: Sky News - all new phil - 15-11-2023

Are the lighting changes on Mark Austin’s show part of why they weren’t in the glass box all weekend?

Looks great. Don’t agree with a word of the criticisms about the look of the channel - it’s never looked better right now.