Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - Skygeek - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 02:11 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  British presenters, for some reason, are only capable of working 4 days a week. With Yalda's other projects and activities, you'll be lucky to see her do a full, 4 day week.

Yes, this notion that presenters only turn up an hour before their programmes and then swan off is just factually wrong. Someone I work with is there at least four hours beforehand - and that doesn't include daytime pre-shoots in the field, pre-recorded interviews in the studio, podcasts and general publicity for the channel. It's a proper week's work, even if it only happens over four days (which it often doesn't, because a lot of those non-live elements happen on days when they're not presenting in the studio).

But I know that - for some people - it's just easier to be catty.

RE: Sky News - Stockland Hillman - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 02:11 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  British presenters, for some reason, are only capable of working 4 days a week. With Yalda's other projects and activities, you'll be lucky to see her do a full, 4 day week.

"Only capable" surely not a serious viewpoint? It's not about capability it's about need:

- Channels need to get maximum value from news staff, so other work such as location, pre records, long form features, podcasts and publicity is as valuable or more so than sitting in a studio for a night

- Channels need to match viewing patterns to show patterns, these days with WFH, Tue/Wed/Thu likely to have a different viewer pattern than historically. Certainly Friday night has a different vibe from Monday-Thursday and a different media consumption environment

- In an open market for a talent, a channel might be happy getting someone for 2/3/4 days that have a specific skill set they need, than not have that person becouse they're not available 5/6 days a week.

So no, it's not "capability"

RE: Sky News - Brekkie - 11-01-2024

Most news presenters on screen four days a week have quite likely done their time on a 5 day week earlier in their career. It does seem fairly unique to the UK but execs here quite like having that one day a week to develop the B-team.

Historically too I think arrangements saw newscasters do less than 4 days - quite a few flagship news bulletins have had more of a team approach such as the ITN News at 5.40 and Six o'clock News in the 80s and 90s, so it's not a new thing at all. ITN especially liked their presenters to maintain a reporting role so they might do a stint full time in the studio then a stint in the field.

RE: Sky News - Neon Pig - 11-01-2024

It's interesting that The World is coming from Studio 6, and not the Glass Box or Westminster. It's nice that they are using that studio more, for variety. Or is it because they are due to remodel Millbank, and perhaps the Glass Box as well this year? Either way, the graphics look sharp, nice to see a globe back.

RE: Sky News - Former Member 2410 - 11-01-2024

You well know many people in TV work five days-per-week; usually more. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous. Adding 'Joking' to your reply does not cut the mustard - there's a grain of truth in what people think, say and post online, even if they say there isn't.

I'm both British and Canadian, and have experience in both countries TV programming (from the inside). What works in one country does not necessarily work in another. In addition, there may be historical reasons or cultural differences between countries. Please, have a little respect.

RE: Sky News - Former Member 2410 - 11-01-2024

Please, show some decorum and respect. Just because someone is 'only' on-screen for four days per week doesn't mean they aren't 'capable' of doing more. To suggest otherwise is quite insulting. There are a myriad other things related to their roles that they do; it's not just a few hours per day in a studio. Yes, there are some people who 'phone it in', as there are in pretty much every scenario, but the vast majority work very hard to earn a living.

As I've noted in another post (which may or may not be approved), there's also historical and cultural differences between countries which may account for differences in approach. Neither is wrong, they're just different.

RE: Sky News - Rolling News - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 01:39 PM)robxu9 Wrote:  Looks like we have a first picture of what The World set will look like: https://news.sky.com/story/sky-news-launching-new-foreign-affairs-show-the-world-with-yalda-hakim-13046103 

That really is such a fantastic looking desk and backdrop and is everything 'The Daily Global' on the BBC News Channel could only dream of.

RE: Sky News - matthieu1221 - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 01:53 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Thats Westminster right?
Another thing.... Monday-THURSDAY?!
Does anyone on TV work a full week like the rest of us? (Joking).

Seriously, thats definitely a UK thing. The only one I can think of in cable news thats extremely popular is Rachel Maddow and she only works on Mondays. After reducing her weekly schedule to one day to write and work on other projects. But this brings to mind the presenter schedule on GMB and the seemingly sporadic presenter schedule. A bit of a head scratcher from an outisider. Canadian and US news presenters are usually consistent across the entire week.

Evenings from 6pm/7pm on French news channels is generally Mon-Thurs too with weekend teams doing Friday evening.

RE: Sky News - RJLD24 - 11-01-2024

I'm guessing, due to breaking news events, Sophy didn't get a change to show a glimpse of the new studio tonight?

RE: Sky News - TMD_24 - 11-01-2024

(11-01-2024, 10:42 PM)RJLD24 Wrote:  I'm guessing, due to breaking news events, Sophy didn't get a change to show a glimpse of the new studio tonight?

No understandably not. Looks like we are going to wait until Monday now.