Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - blue_dust - 13-01-2024

Because I fear they will also scrap it for the new Breakfast show from Monday and then I am going to have a problem with the overall presentation as a pres geek. This is what I always found sad in the last years, as soon as sky news introduces something new or different to look forward to, something at the other end gets scrapped, neutralising the improvements they made.

RE: Sky News - steve - 13-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 10:19 PM)blue_dust Wrote:  Does anyone know why they scrap using the ToTH more and more? It is not used ahead of any of the new shows! Feels completely odd just immediately start the show.

There’s no escaping the fact that news channels are consumed differently today than they were even just a few years ago.

As with BBC News, the days of headlines > reports > headlines > sport > business > weather > reports is gone and appointment to view and breaking coverage is what matters now.

The vast majority if they want the headlines will click an app or website on their phones now, the top of the hour sequence needs to be different to bring people in.

I’m not saying this isn’t a shame, but that’s where we are.

RE: Sky News - ginnyfan - 13-01-2024

But TOTH is actually something that goes along with the habits of this TikTok audience news channels are so desperate to capture. Quick, short, not in-depth or of substance. Makes no sense to eliminate it.

RE: Sky News - Stockland Hillman - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 02:41 PM)steve Wrote:  There’s no escaping the fact that news channels are consumed differently today than they were even just a few years ago.

As with BBC News, the days of headlines > reports > headlines > sport > business > weather > reports is gone and appointment to view and breaking coverage is what matters now.

The vast majority if they want the headlines will click an app or website on their phones now, the top of the hour sequence needs to be different to bring people in.

I’m not saying this isn’t a shame, but that’s where we are.

Probably very near the thinking that takes place in news channels these days.

Unfortunately for them it's wrong.

I've seen alot of research, most recently 2022, that clearly shows audinces watch longer when there's a recognizable structure/format with a clear beginning, content blocks and end (even on rolling news with the same presenters) and a consistent presenter/correspondent/weather lineup.

Using a visual and audio grammar established in early radio and film, openings, credits, theme music, visual furniture all play a part. Some research has even A/B tested the same content in different wrappings and found that packaging is important ( same in both US and Northern Europe markets)

No TV show keeps the same audience reach the whole show, even dramas oddly, but weirdly news channel execs think the it's superfluous to make proper show blocks as the audience is in part casually dipping in/put

RE: Sky News - RJLD24 - 13-01-2024

(12-01-2024, 10:19 PM)blue_dust Wrote:  Does anyone know why they scrap using the ToTH more and more? It is not used ahead of any of the new shows! Feels completely odd just immediately start the show.

I agree with this - but I can understand why they do for the primetime shows. They need a generic 'Sky News' flash ident or something instead of the 'rolling news' toth intro.

RE: Sky News - interestednovice - 13-01-2024

It would cost almost no time to recap headlines at the start of a programme, but serve viewers who may tune in for the headlines and then be persuaded to stay for the other content.

If they want to have more of a “programme open”, they could always do that first then go over to headlines briefly before returning to programme content.

RE: Sky News - rkolsen - 13-01-2024

What exactly is going on today in London? There must be something big for Sky to hover like that. (I don’t think there’s a helicopter thread and AFAIK Sky is the one who has regular deployments with maybe three a week)

Having trouble embedding it. It looks like it’s heading back to base.

RE: Sky News - interestednovice - 13-01-2024

These sorts of things are difficult without inside information. It’s possible the helicopter was due for some maintenance and now, having completed that, they have gone on a test flight of some length to make sure everything is working correctly.

It’s also possible they are filming some “stock footage” of central London, for general use, and not a specific event.

RE: Sky News - rkolsen - 13-01-2024

Can’t edit my post. But it’s a pro Palestinian protest in London. Are these images pooled with others? Does the BBC or ITN still have their own or do they hire as needed?

https://www.youtube.com/live/XP4-F9qfPCw?si=dwWZ75AWqjNhZARI 

RE: Sky News - UTVLifer - 14-01-2024

Preview of Politics Hub in the new Millbank studio

https://x.com/skynews/status/1746484828583727285?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg