Pres Café
Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air (/showthread.php?tid=784)

Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - Worzel - 29-06-2024

Not seen this mentioned anywhere.

The channel's only been on air for just over a week. It appears it's suffered some major technical problems.

Feel sorry for all those involved.

Quote from their Facebook page...

Quote: "This was a statement I was trying to put off, but it is with great sadness we are announcing the closure of Seen on TV.

When I and our small team set out our vision for this channel it was based on fulfilling a gap in the market with a loyal customer base looking for branded items at excellent prices. We also just wanted to have fun doing what we loved most.

We achieved this goal in launching Seen on TV, but sadly financial and technical restraints out of our control have led to its closure.

The technical issues were so severe, the cost to fix them are just too high to responsibly carry on and we have had to call in external help and there are still ongoing investigations.

All outstanding orders have been fulfilled and all of our amazing and hardworking staff members will be paid.

I am beyond devastated the channel has been forced to shut and would like to say a heartfelt thank you everyone who was a part of the business and worked tirelessly with us over the last few months.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive and wanted the channel to continue. I am glad in the week we were live, we were able to put a smile on your faces and entertain you.

Simon".

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/NcRF46krYZrCv7W4/ ?

RE: Seen on TV closes - WillPS - 29-06-2024

Seems absolutely bizarre to me that a channel can make it to air and then permanently fall off air so quickly because of a 'technical issue'. Surely whoever has financed it so far is going to raise a bit more capital to at least give it of a crack?!

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - Brekkie - 29-06-2024

I think "technically" they didn't have enough money!

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - London Lite - 29-06-2024

Or not enough viewers had Seen on TV.

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - bilky asko - 29-06-2024

I had seen that they'd gone from the Sky EPG 4 days ago. I only heard about it in the first place because I happened to be following Mark Ryes's account.

Whilst it does look like they had been suffering from some technical issues right from the start, it does seem like money, or the lack of it, was definitely the issue.

The channel was set up by Simon Iles, using a company he set up in 2020, and after rebranding his Piranha social media accounts to start off with a follower count. It does seem like it's all folded very quickly because he was the only person funding the channel.

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - Brekkie - 29-06-2024

I still struggle to see the market for shopping TV. We're seeing music and kids channels especially close because the audience is said to have shifted to online services so I just struggle to see how shopping channels keep their audience when people can buy what they want online anyway, and usually for less, without having to sit through an hour long presentation.

Of course though there has already been some noteable casualties which were probably needed for the others to survive. A start up breaking through though seems an impossible task.

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - Stooky Bill - 29-06-2024

Going by the conversation on the Shoppingtelly forums the thing that did for them is an issue with their Freeview carriage contract. Seems Arqiva require more money at this stage than the channel thought they would, this was something that was missed by the lawyers who advised on the contract.

Although it seems they had some technical issues during their first (and only) few days broadcasting I think blaming the closure on them is a convienient excuse. What TV channel or new facility hasn't had a few teething problems? I can't work out what sort of technical failure could be fatal to a channel after only a week. There's mention from someone who worked there that a couple of cameras 'broke'. Unless you're very careless and physically break them, they don't just go wrong. If it's something essential in the chain you should either have a spare or have a way round it. Everything new will be under warranty or/and have some support.

Sounds to me like it's a case of a lack of money in reserve post launch (it always costs more than planned), mistakes made when signing contracts (this is where experience comes in), rushing to air in order to make back some money and being unprepared. And finally believing that being a fairly well known name in a niche part of television will mean that it'll be an instant success and then finding out that no one's interested any more

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - bilky asko - 29-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 08:35 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I still struggle to see the market for shopping TV. We're seeing music and kids channels especially close because the audience is said to have shifted to online services so I just struggle to see how shopping channels keep their audience when people can buy what they want online anyway, and usually for less, without having to sit through an hour long presentation.

Of course though there has already been some noteable casualties which were probably needed for the others to survive. A start up breaking through though seems an impossible task.

There's seemingly still an audience in the "until 3am" slot on ITV, which I believe is the sole broadcast outlet for Shop on TV. A leaner way of operating than Ideal World, and all the baggage of running a shopping channel for the rest of the day. Pretty much all of the featured products are ones that were dropped by TJC, though there seem to be one or two new ones.

The slot often features services being sold rather than a product. The wills and lasting power of attorney services that they sell are going to be appreciated by an older demographic (though they really shouldn't be!).

And TJC itself, of course, still run their main channel live 24/7. Again, they always seem to be a relatively lean operation.

And despite Simon Iles's blunder with this channel , I believe he's had significant success with selling his products via social media. TikTok, for what little I use it, does seem to be a significant platform for products being sold with video. It's teleshopping for the modern era, really.

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - tellyblues - 30-06-2024

(29-06-2024, 08:35 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I still struggle to see the market for shopping TV. We're seeing music and kids channels especially close because the audience is said to have shifted to online services so I just struggle to see how shopping channels keep their audience when people can buy what they want online anyway, and usually for less, without having to sit through an hour long presentation.

They can, but then people still walk around the shops without buying anything. I think for a lot of people that shopping TV is preferable and/or spending good money online on the basis of some selective shots. Not that shopping TV doesn't over-egg products but they are least shown as they would look in reality.

TikTok may be one way ahead for shopping but like the live buy streams that these boutiques that clog up the high street nowadays organise, it can be hit and miss on quality. There was one where a presenter spent five minutes looking for an item that someone asked was still available, which meant five minutes of waiting around for everyone else.

The shopping experience isn't easily replicable whereas for music and kids TV people can get what they want with little difference to before. What has kept so many of these types of channels going I suppose is they've been handy for parents to stick something on to shut up the kids or non-stop music without DJ waffle. Not everyone has a smart speaker either.

RE: Seen on TV closes after only weeks on air - London Lite - 30-06-2024

QVC is the most likely to stay, it has high production values, decent sets and lighting and the stock seems to be what people want to buy.

Compare it to some of the lesser known shopping channels, where the production values aren't great and are basically selling tat, it's those that I wonder will fold. It's happened to Ideal World once already and since it moved to TJC, there's a lot of old toot.