Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Deejay - 18-12-2022

Cambridge’s part of the Look East patch has a larger population than Norwich’s. Most of the larger cities and conurbations are in the West. The facilities are newer and easier to get to than those in Norwich. Yet it was Cambridge that had to go because it was still considered a sub-opt, despite producing their own half hours every weeknight for years.

Oxford had been under-resourced for a long time, but at it’s peak produced 4 opts every weekday: 1520, 1830, 2000, 2225, a full half hour on Fridays and regular pan-regionals to assist with scheduling clashes in Southampton. Yet it never had a technical team of more than 4 + 1 crew camera op, and relied on as much multi skilling as it could (all the journalists could self-shoot and edit). A lot of Oxford’s equipment was up-cycled from other regions: the studio lamps and cameras came from Southampton Studio B and were in use right to the end, the vision mixer and monitor multi-viewer were ex BBC Manchester brought down in 2012, the Aston was ex Leeds having done the Hull Sub-Opt, then was successfully revived when it’s power supply blew up with bits from Cardiff and Southampton.

It’s very sad for the staff affected in both sites, but it’s more a shame for the viewers who will be left with poorer coverage of where they live as a result. If you search for the geographical area where I live in the BBC app, you get no results at all. You have to go for the county names, which is largely irrelevant. There is no section on the news website for the areas served by the old Oxford and Cambridge sub-regions - just “Oxford”, “Cambridgeshire” or “Beds Herts & Bucks” which annoyingly spans bits of both. Saying it’s to adjust staffing to work on Digital Coverage doesn’t quite stack up when the service you once got from linear TV simply doesn’t exist on the replacement “digital” offerings.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Jimbo2022 - 19-12-2022

That is very sad. Although I don't live in the area I did make sure I watched both programmes last Friday evening.

It would be nice if the BBC would reconsider the change and maybe bring it back at some point.

Good luck to all involved.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Superman1986 - 19-12-2022

BBC Look East titles featured new sceneries & town names on the lunchtime bulletin.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Kendal87 - 19-12-2022

Delicious new opening titles… love the final shot of The Forum. I wonder if we shall see a nighttime version too?

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Critique - 19-12-2022

New titles, but now for some reason out of time with the music! In the new openers the title card appears at the end earlier than it should do (in time with the big three drum beats), which sounds/looks ever-so-slightly off.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - m_in_m - 19-12-2022

(19-12-2022, 04:32 PM)Kendal87 Wrote:  Delicious new opening titles… love the final shot of The Forum. I wonder if we shall see a nighttime  version too?

Why does it ways have to end with The Forum. This would have been a prominent change to make to signify that they will represent the entire region. 

How many other regions end on a wide shot of their studio base?

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Josh - 19-12-2022

(19-12-2022, 07:20 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(19-12-2022, 04:32 PM)Kendal87 Wrote:  Delicious new opening titles… love the final shot of The Forum. I wonder if we shall see a nighttime  version too?
How many other regions end on a wide shot of their studio base?
Not sure if any titles have been updated in the last 6 months but Look East is the only one if we're looking at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkZzXD7Lu3s 

RE: BBC/ITV East News - watchingtv - 19-12-2022

Tom Williams welcomes the entire region.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Josh - 19-12-2022

"Hello and welcome to viewers across the region" at the start of tonight's bulletin with a top story coming from Cambridgeshire.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - James - 19-12-2022

(19-12-2022, 06:59 PM)Critique Wrote:  New titles, but now for some reason out of time with the music! In the new openers the title card appears at the end earlier than it should do (in time with the big three drum beats), which sounds/looks ever-so-slightly off.

BBC Spotlight's are also like this, and have been for a while.