Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - ViridianFan - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 04:59 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  The other reason they had to delay the background was because the two screens at the back of the set were mirror images of each other. So if someone walked to the right they'd have bumped into themselves walking to the left on the other screen

I think you’re thinking of the first national studio in the red and cream era. That backdrop was the mirror image which is why they had the column in the middle. I remember when we went on a tour of TVC when I was younger the tour guide told us that there was one occasion when moria was reading the news before being seen going up one stair case then a few moments later seen going up the other. 

The Norwich backdrop was only the single shot of the forum as it was. 

I was always surprised they never had the camera point out the other way to look through the big glass front of the forum which looks out across mancroft church, the market and the castle and cathedral in the back ground. Fingers crossed that’s the view when we get the awful new set install. Poor Norwich never got to get the broadcasting house look

RE: BBC/ITV East News - m_in_m - 15-10-2023

I wonder what the quality of the screen used for weather will be like in HD. It's looked awful recently - not sure if there have been lighting issues.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Keith - 15-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 04:40 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  AIUI they're going HD from tomorrow, hence the work going on this weekend
I'm guessing that'll mean a noticeable difference in quality between the studio and the reports. Not sure if the studio cameras are currently HD, but the set has seen better days. At least the graphics should start animating once more, as per the former Cambridge opt-outs.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - IanJRedman - 16-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 10:10 PM)Keith Wrote:  I'm guessing that'll mean a noticeable difference in quality between the studio and the reports. Not sure if the studio cameras are currently HD, but the set has seen better days. At least the graphics should start animating once more, as per the former Cambridge opt-outs.

When Southampton moved to HD playout, they had already installed HD cameras in the studio, so it was all native HD from the off. I'd be surprised if Norwich hasn't done the same, but stranger things have happened!

Yes, the new gallery solution comes with XPression for the graphics, so they should all animate nicely. It was night and day on South Today, which had looked terrible for years!

RE: BBC/ITV East News - ALV - 16-10-2023

The joint bulletin continues this morning on Look East/London:
[Image: a893cdea4037c74113d327ed38f3a69a-png.jpg]

RE: BBC/ITV East News - harshy - 16-10-2023

Is there a reason why Norwich has been considered for HD considering they don’t have the Ikea set?

It did look very ropey and old though so I am glad it’s had an upgrade.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Keith - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 11:41 AM)harshy Wrote:  Is there a reason why Norwich has been considered for HD considering they don’t have the Ikea set?

Not sure about other non-HD regions but their news graphics were unable to animate on/off, as the kit they were using was rather old. As their set is one of the oldest (even before the recent new sets) I imagine the gallery kit may also have been some of the oldest in use, making it one of the more urgent to replace. It may even be that the kit they had wouldn't have properly supported the new set features, compared to equipment in other regions.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - South - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 11:41 AM)harshy Wrote:  Is there a reason why Norwich has been considered for HD considering they don’t have the Ikea set?

This had been discussed in several of the others regional threads. The roll out of HD is a separate project from the new sets which are being rolled out. All regions will eventually be HD. 
The first was Southampton then Newcastle and now Norwich. I am not sure what determined the order, but it may be due to the age of the existing equipment.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Spencer - 16-10-2023

The rollout of the new set and the upgrades to HD are separate projects. So far, the only regions which have had HD upgrades as part of the current rollout are Southampton and Newcastle, neither of which have the new set yet.

Southampton's next for the new set, so that'll be the first time the new style set will be seen in HD in an English region.

[Edit: South beat me to it]

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Stooky Bill - 16-10-2023

(15-10-2023, 09:00 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I think you’re thinking of the first national studio in the red and cream era. 
Yes, that's what Stuart was talking about in the post I quoted