Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Stuart - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 05:55 PM)Moz Wrote:  Look East (West)!!!?

Really!?
That's no different to the two ITV West Country sub-regions being called 'ITV West Country (South West)' and 'ITV West Country (West)'.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - i.h - 16-12-2022

(14-11-2022, 11:07 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  
(14-11-2022, 10:17 PM)watchingtv Wrote:  But there won't be any behind the scenes teams left in Cambs. You can't just spend money sending Norwich team to Cambs.

For a technical refit project you might well be able to do that. This also assumes all Norwich staff live the wrong side of Norwich. It is a 90 minute journey between the two sites. Compared to what the BBC must spend elsewhere on travel for a project on this scale that would seem an acceptable cost.

Wouldn't it be easier to find ways to work within their existing space? Plymouth managed it while their place underwent a major refurb, though they had the benefit of having their own building.

The staff might not be too hyped up on the idea of a much longer commute, however temporary.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Stuart - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 06:33 PM)i.h Wrote:  Wouldn't it be easier to find ways to work within their existing space? Plymouth managed it while their place underwent a major refurb, though they had the benefit of having their own building.
I don't think BBC Plymouth's upgrade progressed according to plan. It was a change to the whole site as they had previously been intending to move to Sutton Harbour in the city centre, so had perhaps let maintenance things slide somewhat.

They moved the main studio into a rather nicely converted conference room, which was allegedly for "a couple of months", but actually were in there for 18 months.

BBC Bristol decamped to the lobby when their studio was upgraded, so it's quite possible to use almost any bit of space in a building.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Keith - 16-12-2022

Looks like there's going to be a farewell feature towards the end of tonight's bulletin, which may be worth capturing.

Worth noting that coincidentally the former culture secretary who negotiated the licence fee freeze represents one of the areas which will no longer get the Cambridge edition.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - London Lite - 16-12-2022

I'm recording both Cambridge and Oxford tonight, so might have something to post later.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - m_in_m - 16-12-2022

Interestingly Look East (West) only referred to the last thirteen years of their existing. There was no reference to the programme beginning as an opt-out from the Norwich programme.

Watching the final programme and then South Today - Oxford it is clear that the areas sandwiched between both programmes may suffer.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 08:58 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Watching the final programme and then South Today - Oxford it is clear that the areas sandwiched between both programmes may suffer.

Arguably it could have made more sense to merge the two sub-regions together into a single 'Oxbridge' full region - not just do they border, but in many senses have more in common with each other than with their respective master regions.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - m_in_m - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 09:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 08:58 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Watching the final programme and then South Today - Oxford it is clear that the areas sandwiched between both programmes may suffer.

Arguably it could have made more sense to merge the two sub-regions together into a single 'Oxbridge' full region - not just do they border, but in many senses have more in common with each other than with their respective master regions.

I thought the same and wondered had they been merged many years ago, when I think but may have been mistaken, that this was under consideration with a service based possibly in Milton Keynes, whether it would have survived as presumably they'd have been more significant in terms of potential audience.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 09:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought the same and wondered had they been merged many years ago, when I think but may have been mistaken, that this was under consideration with a service based possibly in Milton Keynes, whether it would have survived as presumably they'd have been more significant in terms of potential audience.

In terms of a potential audience, a hypothetical Oxbridge region would have a population of roughly 3.7 million - which would make it the seventh largest of seventeen regions. If this was an independent region, that'd probably be enough to save it, but the Cambridge subregion itself has a population of 2.8 million - just shy of Wales' population and clearly larger than the Norwich master region (2.2 million) and the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region (1.6 million).

Though, for various reasons, the connection between population size and getting a BBC region is rather loose...

[Image: BBCRegionPopulations.png]

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Lester - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 09:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought the same and wondered had they been merged many years ago, when I think but may have been mistaken, that this was under consideration with a service based possibly in Milton Keynes, whether it would have survived as presumably they'd have been more significant in terms of potential audience.

In terms of a potential audience, a hypothetical Oxbridge region would have a population of roughly 3.7 million - which would make it the seventh largest of seventeen regions. If this was an independent region, that'd probably be enough to save it, but the Cambridge subregion itself has a population of 2.8 million - just shy of Wales' population and clearly larger than the Norwich master region (2.2 million) and the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region (1.6 million).

Though, for various reasons, the connection between population size and getting a BBC region is rather loose...

[Image: BBCRegionPopulations.png]

Surely East Yorkshire must be next on the chopping block. Maybe carving it up between E Mids and Yorkshire?