Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - London Lite - 16-12-2022

Final Cambridge bulletin.

https://youtu.be/wKLUbWe7EA0 

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Spencer - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 09:21 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought the same and wondered had they been merged many years ago, when I think but may have been mistaken, that this was under consideration with a service based possibly in Milton Keynes, whether it would have survived as presumably they'd have been more significant in terms of potential audience.

In terms of a potential audience, a hypothetical Oxbridge region would have a population of roughly 3.7 million - which would make it the seventh largest of seventeen regions. If this was an independent region, that'd probably be enough to save it, but the Cambridge subregion itself has a population of 2.8 million - just shy of Wales' population and clearly larger than the Norwich master region (2.2 million) and the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region (1.6 million).

Though, for various reasons, the connection between population size and getting a BBC region is rather loose...

[Image: BBCRegionPopulations.png]
Very interesting to see that graph. I’d be interested to see a similar graph based on viewing figures.

I’ve wondered before why Look North East Yorks and Lincs has been spared the chop, given it was one of the three ‘new regions’ of the late 90s/early 00s along with Oxford and Cambridge.

I can only guess that Look Levy pulls in the viewers in a way that Oxford and Cambridge don’t. But I may be completely wrong.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:40 PM)Lester Wrote:  Surely East Yorkshire must be next on the chopping block. Maybe carving it up between E Mids and Yorkshire?

The key issue, and primary cause of the extreme variance, is down to the reach of transmitters. Although it might make sense to move the East Yorks/Humberside area to Yorkshire and the Lincolnshire area to East Mids, I don't think it's possible due to the arrangement of DTT transmitters. If/when it was all moved to satellite, cable and internet broadcasting, it would be far easier to more accurately align the regions to more familiar political geography - such as having a London region that solely covered London. Until that happens, we're left with some rather odd regions.

Also I suspect a bit of politics saved the Humberside region - it's easier to cut back two regions in the south of England than one in the north.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Jimbo2022 - 16-12-2022

The north west one should say Sal for Salford not Man for Manchester!

The channel numbers in sky are ranked by population and/or geographic area I thought. Population as a whole so the nation's cone first then London. Be&c etc.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 16-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:55 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  The north west one should say Sal for Salford not Man for Manchester!

It should, whoops!

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Jimbo2022 - 16-12-2022

The only reason it may say that is the current structure existed before Oxford Road closed when the original SD feeds first appeared in satellite they had channel IDs inside the meta data which had 'BBC IBE' followed by two letters for the city if origin. North West I think was labelled 'BBC ONE MN'. That would explain it maybe

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 17-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Very interesting to see that graph. I’d be interested to see a similar graph based on viewing figures.

I’ve wondered before why Look North East Yorks and Lincs has been spared the chop, given it was one of the three ‘new regions’ of the late 90s/early 00s along with Oxford and Cambridge.

I can only guess that Look Levy pulls in the viewers in a way that Oxford and Cambridge don’t. But I may be completely wrong.

Not got any more recent figures to hand, but this BBC Trust review from 2016 shows that the average weekly reach of different English regions 2014/15 were:

Humberside: 56.8%
South West: 56.3%
West: 52.2%
North East: 49.2%
South East: 48.6%
East: 48.3%
Yorkshire: 48.0%
East Midlands: 47.4%
All England: 47.1%
North West: 47.1%
South: 46.3%
Midlands: 45.4%
London: 42.8%

So 'Look Levy' certainly used to be their highest performer. Interestingly also a small but clear correlation between smaller, more local regions and higher audience reach - the four regions with below average performances also happen to be the four most populous English regions.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Andrew - 17-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 10:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  In terms of a potential audience, a hypothetical Oxbridge region would have a population of roughly 3.7 million - which would make it the seventh largest of seventeen regions. If this was an independent region, that'd probably be enough to save it, but the Cambridge subregion itself has a population of 2.8 million - just shy of Wales' population and clearly larger than the Norwich master region (2.2 million) and the East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire region (1.6 million).

Though, for various reasons, the connection between population size and getting a BBC region is rather loose...

[Image: BBCRegionPopulations.png]
Very interesting to see that graph. I’d be interested to see a similar graph based on viewing figures.

There is also the issue that Yorkshire is already as big as East and South before adding East Yorks in. It’d probably be seen as too big combined.

And like you say I imagine Look Levy and his friendly local radio style is very popular with the viewers

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Moz - 17-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 06:10 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 05:55 PM)Moz Wrote:  Look East (West)!!!?

Really!?
That's no different to the two ITV West Country sub-regions being called 'ITV West Country (South West)' and 'ITV West Country (West)'.
Well it is because West is the opposite of East!

And I’m sorry, but once again, boo hoo for the people losing the news bulletin for their city. We don’t even get one for our region where l live!

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 12:56 AM)Moz Wrote:  And I’m sorry, but once again, boo hoo for the people losing the news bulletin for their city. We don’t even get one for our region where l live!

The Cambridge opt of BBC Look East covered a population roughly the same size of Wales, it was a little bit more than just a city. In terms of both hours of output and cost per user, Wales is far better served than the Bedfordshire-Cambridgeshire-Northamptonshire-North Buckinghamshire area. I also think that going 'boo hoo' is also a little insensitive on the day that numerous staff were effectively made redundant.