Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Jimbo2022 - 17-12-2022

Aparently the local radio cuts scheduled could start around March I believe but not sure what yet. Just part if the same issue so to speak.

Not good

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Keith - 17-12-2022

(16-12-2022, 10:42 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Final Cambridge bulletin.

https://youtu.be/wKLUbWe7EA0 
For those who haven't watched it skip towards the end for a walk from the studio into the gallery, as well as a holding back the tears goodbye.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Kunst - 17-12-2022

(02-11-2022, 09:22 AM)i.h Wrote:  and in terms of language - Cornish gets some very token effort on BBC Radio Cornwall & nothing on Spotlight, whereas Wales, Scotland and NI have entire stations dedicated to theirs.
Sorry but Cornish is basically dead, different situation to Welsh and Scottish Gaelic, it's no brainer!

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Steve in Pudsey - 17-12-2022

That quickly turns into a chicken and egg situation though.

Must admit I heard the Cornish news on Radio Cornwall the other week. Some words I could work out as they were similar to Welsh and some of the language sounded like a mixture if Irish and Scots Gaelic. It was like a mixture if all 3.

But West country Television used to do a Cornish programme once a week. That was many years ago.

As for BBC they need to keep their news bulletin while it is needed. Given it was before 1400 hrs I hope it will survive.

(16-12-2022, 10:47 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 10:04 PM)DTV Wrote:  [Image: BBCRegionPopulations.png]
Very interesting to see that graph. I’d be interested to see a similar graph based on viewing figures.

I’ve wondered before why Look North East Yorks and Lincs has been spared the chop, given it was one of the three ‘new regions’ of the late 90s/early 00s along with Oxford and Cambridge.

I can only guess that Look Levy pulls in the viewers in a way that Oxford and Cambridge don’t. But I may be completely wrong.

The other differnce is that Hull have been doing the full 6.30 programme for 20 years whereas Oxford and Cambridge have mainly been sub-opts doing part of the show.

I did see some comments on Twitter suggesting that merging Oxford with London would be a better fit as it's commuter belt territory, and feels little in common with the South Coast

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Spencer - 17-12-2022

I do think the BBC’s cardinal rule that news bulletins can never be pre-recorded is now standing in the way of providing a better service at little extra cost for regions such as Oxford and Cambridge.

Surely it’d be better for Norwich and Southampton to pre-rec a section of their programmes for their sub-regions in the same way that ITV do quite effectively for many areas.

Providing a pre-recorded service might not be ideal, but surely it’d be better than not providing it at all.

Is the bulk of the cost in running a second studio or in producing enough packages to sustain two programmes?

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 04:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I did see some comments on Twitter suggesting that merging Oxford with London would be a better fit as it's commuter belt territory, and feels little in common with the South Coast

I'm not sure the Oxford region would be particularly well served by being included in the already oversized London region. While it is definitely more similar in profile to the commuter belt part of that region than to the South Coast area, a lot of people in the commuter belt tend to feel underserved by BBC London which is often seen to have a clear Greater London skew despite nearly half its service audience being outside the capital. I expect Oxford stories will be more likely to get covered on South Today, particularly during the first few months as Southampton will certainly want to demonstrate that they aren't leaving Oxford viewers behind.

The ideal situation would certainly be for DTT to disappear so regional boundaries could be redefined based on something more sensible than the reach of a transmitter network that was largely installed before regional news was really a thing. But to be quite honest, there are several things that you'd do completely differently if you were starting the BBC regional news network from scratch.

Oxford transmitter used to take the bbc1 sustaining service in the 89s. In We ircestrr I picked up what I thought was London region yet had central for ITV not Thames/LWT.

But it was Oxford I picked up which then carried Newsroom South East which was in Oxford Crystal Palace and the transmitters in Kent covering the now separate South East region.