Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Technologist - 17-12-2022

Oxford was fed by receivers at Whipsnade taking Crystal Palace,
And then a SHF link to the transmitter
This is its service area … http://tx.mb21.co.uk/mapsys/map.php?mapid=92 
And other than Oxford itself not much affinity with London
It was used by ATV for a time but even less affinity with Birmingham !

RE: BBC/ITV East News - London Lite - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 06:54 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Oxford transmitter used to take the bbc1 sustaining service in the 89s. In We ircestrr I picked up what I thought was London region yet had central for ITV not Thames/LWT.

But it was Oxford I picked up which then carried Newsroom South East which was in Oxford Crystal Palace and the transmitters in Kent covering the now separate South East region.

Oxford (Beckley) used to be BBC One South East (the former enlarged region including London) and Central South which is now ITV Meridian Thames Valley (north).

RE: BBC/ITV East News - cityprod - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 11:24 AM)Kunst Wrote:  
(02-11-2022, 09:22 AM)i.h Wrote:  and in terms of language - Cornish gets some very token effort on BBC Radio Cornwall & nothing on Spotlight, whereas Wales, Scotland and NI have entire stations dedicated to theirs.
Sorry but Cornish is basically dead, different situation to Welsh and Scottish Gaelic, it's no brainer!
5,000 people would disagree with that.  Yes, the media situation is very token.  A weekly 5 minute bulletin on BBC Radio Cornwall, a 1 hour weekly programme on various Cornish community radio stations.  That's about it at the moment.  Pirate FM used to have a 2 minute bulletin in Cornish every weekend, but that finished when Matthew Clarke left the station.  All in all, it's not a lot of support for a language that isn't dead, but isn't widely spoken. 

It would be something if a short daily bulletin could be broadcast in Cornish, that's really the next target.  But right now, with the current funding situation of the BBC, that's not likely to happen in the immediate future.  More media support would be nice, but again, it's difficult to see where the funding is coming from.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - MFTJA - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 12:56 AM)Moz Wrote:  
(16-12-2022, 06:10 PM)Stuart Wrote:  That's no different to the two ITV West Country sub-regions being called 'ITV West Country (South West)' and 'ITV West Country (West)'.
Well it is because West is the opposite of East!

And I’m sorry, but once again, boo hoo for the people losing the news bulletin for their city. We don’t even get one for our region where l live!
I never realised they axed Wales Today - what a shame!

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Jimbo2022 - 17-12-2022

Wales Today is still going not ending.

Just Oxford and Cambridge happened to. E where the two axed shows came from. They were not specific to that city. The city references I mentioned for all the region's were where they actually broadcast from of course. Cardiff if course fir Wales Today - as Nd always has been

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Former Member 406 - 17-12-2022

I wonder when the "Oxford" and "Cambridgeshire" options will disappear from the choose-your-region Settings in BBC iPlayer, and whether all users who currently have one of those selected will automatically default to South/East (as appropriate) when those options disappear.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - MFTJA - 17-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 11:06 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  Wales Today is still going not ending.
Just a joke! OP said that he had no regional news for where he lives, but he does have BBC Wales Today, ITV News Cymru Wales as well as Newyddion S4C which is more than most other regions.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Stooky Bill - 18-12-2022

(17-12-2022, 06:22 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Is the  bulk of the cost in running a second studio or in producing enough packages to sustain two programmes?
It's a bit of both, producing news is expensive - it takes people to do the reporting and producing. In a lot of ways it's cheaper than it was 20 years ago but to do it properly still costs. They'll still have to produce some new content for the now axed regions but it won't be as much as now 

But it also costs to run a studio too, it needs a crew rota'd on for the day, although I'm sure a lot of those studio crew would do other things in the day like editing. It also needs maintenance and upgrading, both centres would have been due an upgrade to HD, that's a saving. The upgrade to HD transmission that's coming up will have been made easier and cheaper with two fewer BBC1's. Other bits of technical infrastructure not being needed will save money in the long term, circuits for example

I know someone who freelanced at BBC Cambridge when they extended their bulletin to a full half hour. Apparently they managed to do that without it costing much more. In fact their colleagues at Norwich were a bit surprised that they could manage it with so few resources - it made them look rather over staffed and over resourced.

(17-12-2022, 04:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I did see some comments on Twitter suggesting that merging Oxford with London would be a better fit as it's commuter belt territory, and feels little in common with the South Coast
Then you're essentially back to the same situation as the 90s, although back then viewers in the Cotswolds saw regional news from as far as Dover. 

The split up of the old South East region and Newsroom Southeast (aka 'F*** Off Kent) was largely driven by London devolution, the regional news from there is even more irrelevant to Oxfordshire residents than it was in 1999 

It's an odd area, if it's not it's own entity (and it's arguably too small for that) then where else do you attach it to? And ITV had the same issue when it started to cut services

(17-12-2022, 10:06 PM)cityprod Wrote:  
(17-12-2022, 11:24 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Sorry but Cornish is basically dead, different situation to Welsh and Scottish Gaelic, it's no brainer!
5,000 people would disagree with that.  Yes, the media situation is very token.  A weekly 5 minute bulletin on BBC Radio Cornwall, a 1 hour weekly programme on various Cornish community radio stations.  That's about it at the moment.  Pirate FM used to have a 2 minute bulletin in Cornish every weekend, but that finished when Matthew Clarke left the station.  All in all, it's not a lot of support for a language that isn't dead, but isn't widely spoken. 
It was dead, it was classed as extinct until 2009. Its now got 3,500 native speakers and is 'critically endangered'. That number is after over a century of trying to revive it so it's probably not going to be as common as other celtic languages particularly considering the smaller population of Cornwall