Pres Café
BBC/ITV North West News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV North West News (/showthread.php?tid=90)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Steve in Pudsey - 03-01-2024

Other regions have a bit more resilience with a second gallery. Having a back up plan seems reasonable

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - m_in_m - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Other regions have a bit more resilience with a second gallery. Having a back up plan seems reasonable

How many regions have a second gallery? The problem also might not have been in the gallery.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Mike - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 06:52 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  How many regions have a second gallery? The problem also might not have been in the gallery.

A few of the larger sites have a presentation gallery for smaller bulletins, the Project England spec used a Quartz vision mixer but outside of a separate mixer, the sources were all from the existing infrastructure into the main gallery, so assuming the issue was in the apps for that particular region then either way they'd be still be stuffed.

ISTR that NWT is produced from a smaller, separate studio/gallery during breakfast that is independent of the main gallery so there's some resilience.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Technologist - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 05:02 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Other regions have a bit more resilience with a second gallery. Having a back up plan seems reasonable
But I don’t think the HD regions have a second set of kit …..
The back up plan is simple …buddy via CCM
…and as the opt switches are now there there is a lot less equipment in the region.

This gives a better viewing experience than often happened with analogue
Where it tended to be London ….
Unless you had time an enough people to get something else fired up…
And breakfast time seamless opts were often run on low ish staffing .

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - nwtv2003 - 04-01-2024

Not sure what’s going on, at 7:27am North West Today appeared as normal but at 7:57am BBC London appeared again. Nothing has been said on BBC NW’s social media pages about it.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - JACKLUFC1998 - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 09:03 AM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Not sure what’s going on, at 7:27am North West Today appeared as normal but at 7:57am BBC London appeared again. Nothing has been said on BBC NW’s social media pages about it.

I thought Leeds was the back up for the North West? Or is that on ITV only when Granada Reports fails and the North West gets Calendar (not sure which Calendar version though)?

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - m_in_m - 04-01-2024

(04-01-2024, 05:50 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  I thought Leeds was the back up for the North West? Or is that on ITV only when Granada Reports fails and the North West gets Calendar (not sure which Calendar version though)?

I think by default if a region fails to opt it will be BBC London. If however it is known in advance then the region who can't opt can be switched to show the most appropriate region.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Humphrey Hacker - 05-01-2024

Back in the 80's whenever Look North Leeds failed to materialise the backup was Newsroom South East but I also remember during a storm in the mid 90's (?) we got North West Tonight!

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Spencer - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 12:38 AM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  Back in the 80's whenever Look North Leeds failed to materialise the backup was Newsroom South East but I also remember during a storm in the mid 90's (?) we got North West Tonight!

The old South East region from London was the sustaining feed for the regions before BBC LDN launched, so if any region failed to opt, that’s what would go out.

I suspect North West Tonight going out from Emley Moor could have been the RBS system kicking in, whereby if a transmitter lost its feed of BBC One, it’d automatically take an off air feed from a neighbouring transmitter. I think Emley Moor would take the signal from Winter Hill in these circumstances, although I’m sure someone will correct me if not.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Steve in Pudsey - 06-01-2024

I think Emley took Waltham for its RBS source?

I think the network distribution from Manchester went SHF via Windy Hill BT tower to BBC Leeds and back to Windy Hill before going to Emley and Belmont. It's possible that the weather affected one of the dishes so the Leeds round trip was patched out at Windy Hill and Manchester CTA sent the NW dirty feed to Leeds instead of the sustaining feed?