Pres Café
BBC/ITV North West News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV North West News (/showthread.php?tid=90)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Andrew - 19-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 08:22 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Steve worked on the previous strike day so I assume he is not taking part in this industrial action, for whatever reason. (Whatever your view on the action we should respect his choice, if indeed it was a choice - only NUJ members are entitled to take part. Given that union membership is a protected characteristic, speculation may be unwise.)

Presumably somebody thought it was for the greater good for him to do the Newcastle 6.30 programme and sacrifice NWT's Breakfast opts. Logistically doing both wasn't practical.

I’m surprised they couldn’t get another presenter to do breakfast. Its not exactly ‘acting up’ like what effects the 6:30 programme, it’s more like ‘acting down’

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Stuart - 20-05-2023

(19-05-2023, 08:22 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  (Whatever your view on the action we should respect his choice, if indeed it was a choice - only NUJ members are entitled to take part. Given that union membership is a protected characteristic, speculation may be unwise.)
That's not correct. You don't have to be in a Trade Union to take part in official action, whether that be a strike or a work-to-rule. However, it does have to be a recognised Trade Union for the work that you do.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - London Lite - 20-05-2023

Phil McCann covered the main and late NWT on Friday evening.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Steve in Pudsey - 20-05-2023

(20-05-2023, 12:20 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(19-05-2023, 08:22 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  (Whatever your view on the action we should respect his choice, if indeed it was a choice - only NUJ members are entitled to take part. Given that union membership is a protected characteristic, speculation may be unwise.)
That's not correct. You don't have to be in a Trade Union to take part in official action, whether that be a strike or a work-to-rule. However, it does have to be a recognised Trade Union for the work that you do.

Interesting. There's two recognised unions at my place of work, my union always puts out advice when the other lot are on strike that for us to refuse to cross their picket would be illegal secondary action.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Stuart - 20-05-2023

(20-05-2023, 11:46 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  
(20-05-2023, 12:20 AM)Stuart Wrote:  That's not correct. You don't have to be in a Trade Union to take part in official action, whether that be a strike or a work-to-rule. However, it does have to be a recognised Trade Union for the work that you do.
Interesting. There's two recognised unions at my place of work, my union always puts out advice when the other lot are on strike that for us to refuse to cross their picket would be illegal secondary action.
That's not correct of the Trade Union to say that either, although I have witnessed them say it where I work. Either they don't understand the rules or it's deliberate misinformation.

I suppose in many circumstances people just accept what they're told. An employer no longer knows whether or not you're in a Trade Union, never mind which one. Any absence on the day would be recorded by payroll as simply 'Unpaid Absence - Strike Action', or something similar.

In the context of this forum, once a broadcaster knows what resources are available, they may well redeploy accordingly to provide the best cover.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - bkman1990 - 19-06-2023

There was no sound at the beginning of NWT's 6:30pm bulletin from Roger Johnson's mic this evening.

Did that issue eventually get fixed?

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - nwtv2003 - 19-06-2023

(19-06-2023, 06:49 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  There was no sound at the beginning of NWT's 6:30pm bulletin from Roger Johnson's mic this evening.

Did that issue eventually get fixed?

It did, it effected the opening headlines and Roger reading the top story, but he apologised for the issues after the first report. There was also an issue with the weather at the end as the slide for Wednesday returned to the first slide of the forecast.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Ben Shatliff - 06-07-2023

Just passing Media City UK on the tram and thinking again about the studios for Granada Reports. 

The Orange Tower is linked to a wider ITV Studios next door. 

I wonder if the intention for a Roof Garden was on top of the ITV Building for the weather but was then decided against.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Steve in Pudsey - 06-07-2023

Possibly after plans for a rooftop Blue Peter Garden were found to be impractical?

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Kendal87 - 06-07-2023

Freddie used to have a weather garden at the old Quay Street studios.