Pres Café
BBC/ITV North West News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV North West News (/showthread.php?tid=90)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - DJ Dave - 06-07-2023

(06-07-2023, 04:25 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  Just passing Media City UK on the tram and thinking again about the studios for Granada Reports. 

The Orange Tower is linked to a wider ITV Studios next door. 

I wonder if the intention for a Roof Garden was on top of the ITV Building for the weather but was then decided against.

I'm sure thinking back they did say when they were reporting about the move, they would have new garden, but the things change like NWT being on the ground floor.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Ben Shatliff - 07-07-2023

I remember them showing us what was going to be a Roof Garden back in 2010; around the time Coronation Street celebrated 50 Years. 

I did not realise NWT were on the Ground Floor. I am guessing this is Newsroom as Studio is in the BBC Building.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Stuart - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 06:26 AM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  I remember them showing us what was going to be a Roof Garden back in 2010; around the time Coronation Street celebrated 50 Years. 

I did not realise NWT were on the Ground Floor. I am guessing this is Newsroom as Studio is in the BBC Building.
I think the BBC were going to construct a roof garden for Blue Peter. Whatever happened to that?

NWT are still in a studio on the second floor of Quay House, previously shared with Breakfast.

Their original plan was to be on the ground floor with a view onto the piazza, but apparently there were concerns about people constantly walking past in a busy area, or 'window-lickers', which I think was an issue for one of the US programmes at the time by ABC in Times Square in NYC.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - South - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 07:00 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I think the BBC were going to construct a roof garden for Blue Peter. Whatever happened to that?

NWT are still in a studio on the second floor of Quay House, previously shared with Breakfast.

Their original plan was to be on the ground floor with a view onto the piazza, but apparently there were concerns about people constantly walking past in a busy area, or 'window-lickers', which I think was an issue for one of the US programmes at the time by ABC in Times Square in NYC.
Its a bit ironic as I believe it was Breakfast which changed the plans when it was announced they were moving.
Funny that 11 years after relocating they move to the exact space they initially objected to.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Ben Shatliff - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 09:38 AM)South Wrote:  Its a bit ironic as I believe it was Breakfast which changed the plans when it was announced they were moving.
Funny that 11 years after relocating they move to the exact space they initially objected to.

As it stands is it just ITV Granada using The Orange Tower for live broadcasting or are BBC now using the Ground Floor as well?

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - nwtv2003 - 07-07-2023

I believe the Orange Tower is shared with the University of Salford and not the BBC. I think an outside broadcast company is also based in the Orange Tower. The BBC are next door at Dock House though.

ITV has contributed to the garden in front of Orange Tower. Last time I was there they had a metal sculpture which looks like a children’s slide, but isn’t, with a big ITV branded notice saying it wasn’t a children’s slide.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - JACKLUFC1998 - 07-07-2023

Just thinking who acts as backup for North West Tonight when it doesn't go to air, is it Look North (Leeds)? As I know Calendar is the backup for when Granada Reports fail to air

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - m_in_m - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 09:38 AM)South Wrote:  Its a bit ironic as I believe it was Breakfast which changed the plans when it was announced they were moving.

I don't think they are moving into the exact space that was planned for NWT. I think NWT were going to be much closer to the edge of the building possibly even with windows direct to the outside. The news studio for Breakfast is set back inside the building a little with no obvious ability for someone outside to cause a disturbance to the programme.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Brekkie - 07-07-2023

(07-07-2023, 07:00 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I think the BBC were going to construct a roof garden for Blue Peter. Whatever happened to that?

Didn't Blue Peter have a garden in the plaza in the end, though think that may have been scrapped now as I think they recently announced a new garden at an RHS venue I think.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Steve in Pudsey - 07-07-2023

Next to the tram stop I think?