Pres Café
BBC/ITV North West News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV North West News (/showthread.php?tid=90)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - London Lite - 20-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 07:57 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  Does Simon King routinely provide cover for Weather on North West Tonight or was tonight different due to the strike action.

Simon is regular cover on NWT.

To be honest I don't even know if Kay Crewdson is the permanant weather presenter on NWT as they use her, Emmanuelle Lhoni and even Abbie Dewhurst from Look North Leeds.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Kendal87 - 20-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 09:35 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Simon is regular cover on NWT.

To be honest I don't even know if Kay Crewdson is the permanant weather presenter on NWT as they use her, Emmanuelle Lhoni and even Abbie Dewhurst from Look North Leeds.

There hasn’t been a full time weather presenter since Owain’s departure. He wasn’t full time towards the end of his time on NWT too.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - AaronLancs - 20-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 09:35 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Simon is regular cover on NWT.

(20-07-2023, 10:09 PM)Kendal87 Wrote:  There hasn’t been a full time weather presenter since Owain’s departure. He wasn’t full time towards the end of his time on NWT too.

I was going to say that King certainly filled the big shoes that was left behind by the much missed Dianne Oxberry. Evans too to be frank. But it seems to be a role that has left such a legacy no-one seems to match up with what has gone before.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Kendal87 - 20-07-2023

I like Kay but she always has to have the last word at the end of the programme. Roger is the main anchor and he should IMO.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - Manclad83 - 21-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 10:19 PM)Kendal87 Wrote:  I like Kay but she always has to have the last word at the end of the programme. Roger is the main anchor and he should IMO.

To be fair though, ironically, so did Dianne.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - agentsquash - 22-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 10:17 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  I was going to say that King certainly filled the big shoes that was left behind by the much missed Dianne Oxberry. Evans too to be frank. But it seems to be a role that has left such a legacy no-one seems to match up with what has gone before.

Is it me or does the NWT 'weather anchor' role almost hold a level of prestige higher than the rest of the BBC's regional weather output? 

I've known people outside the NW recognising Dianne and Owain - not something you necessarily see from other regions.

Also - is there a reason why the NWT intro is the only region that uses different place names for each location displayed in the title sequence? For example, the Lakes shot showing Cumbrian place names, then the shot of the railway viaduct showing places in Derbyshire.

It's a really good way of showing off the region, and something that the rest of the regions should look to emulate!

Superman1986 - Superman1986 - 22-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 05:01 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Is it me or does the NWT 'weather anchor' role almost hold a level of prestige higher than the rest of the BBC's regional weather output? 

I've known people outside the NW recognising Dianne and Owain - not something you necessarily see from other regions.

Also - is there a reason why the NWT intro is the only region that uses different place names for each location displayed in the title sequence? For example, the Lakes shot showing Cumbrian place names, then the shot of the railway viaduct showing places in Derbyshire.

It's a really good way of showing off the region, and something that the rest of the regions should look to emulate!
Points West do the same with their intro

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - nwtv2003 - 22-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 05:01 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Also - is there a reason why the NWT intro is the only region that uses different place names for each location displayed in the title sequence? For example, the Lakes shot showing Cumbrian place names, then the shot of the railway viaduct showing places in Derbyshire.

Without sounding biased, the North West titles I think are the best ones used in the English regions. When the look was first introduced they had a report about it and basically most of the shots used were filmed using a drone. They had to get permission to use the drone for the Liver Building shot. I’d argue the night time titles are even more better. 

And the town names on the title sequence is a great way to list the towns associated with the counties. Worth noting Greater Manchester has two shots in the main sequence. Even the Isle of Man gets a decent look in.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - agentsquash - 23-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 07:32 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  Without sounding biased, the North West titles I think are the best ones used in the English regions. When the look was first introduced they had a report about it and basically most of the shots used were filmed using a drone. They had to get permission to use the drone for the Liver Building shot. I’d argue the night time titles are even more better. 

And the town names on the title sequence is a great way to list the towns associated with the counties. Worth noting Greater Manchester has two shots in the main sequence. Even the Isle of Man gets a decent look in.

Agree totally. it was only when looking at all the regions back to back that you realise how this template should have far more potential than most regions let it have. (Especially as a NWT viewer!)

The NWT shots are very much showing off the region - whereas the random obsession with running and yoga in the others just seems so bland. You can see why this package got so much stick!

Has there been any update on the new studio? I would wonder if the replacement NWT set will be built slightly larger as a backup for Breakfast - or just a copy and paste of the new standard regions set.

RE: BBC/ITV North West News - AaronLancs - 23-07-2023

(23-07-2023, 12:26 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  Agree totally. it was only when looking at all the regions back to back that you realise how this template should have far more potential than most regions let it have. (Especially as a NWT viewer!)

The NWT shots are very much showing off the region - whereas the random obsession with running and yoga in the others just seems so bland. You can see why this package got so much stick!

I'd hate to verge on "Nostalgia" territory but one thing to consider is that us in the North West with NWT have already had experience with this sort of title sequence way back in 2007-2008 in what I thought was quite a decent look.

Let's run through an extremely mini checklist -
Placenames on the screen: Check.
Quite frankly gorgeous beauty shots showing off the region at its most best: Check.
Following up a spiritual successor to what was a excellent look: Priceless.

Also one thing to note is that the way it has been executed this time seems much more organic that back in 2007. As there are no 'broadcast streams' in the titles at all which looking back seemed very de rigueur at the time.

Using Manchester's Beetham Tower as the main focal point here are the comparable shots:
[Image: nwt0701.jpg]
[Image: daytimetitles6.jpg]
(all images sourced from: https://tvlive.site/thenews/bbc-news/bbc-regional-news/bbc-north-west-tonight/  )