Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Radio 2 - DavidWhitfield - 09-08-2022

Some big changes at Radio 2 lately.

Vanessa Feltz and Paul O'Grady both leaving after eleven and fourteen years at the station respectively, and Steve Wright in the Afternoon coming to an end having first began in 1999.

Changes afoot, it seems.

RE: Radio 2 - Clean Feed - 09-08-2022

Indeed. Today's announcement re Paul O'Grady won't come as much of a surprise to his fans. He was quite vocal about plans to cut back the number of editions of his show, announced earlier in the year.

Rob Beckett now occupies the early evening Sunday slot when Paul is off air.  The two gentlemen have quite different styles and not sure how much overlap of audience there'd be there.

RE: Radio 2 - DavidWhitfield - 09-08-2022

Indeed.

(09-08-2022, 12:31 PM)Clean Feed Wrote:  The two gentlemen have quite different styles and not sure how much overlap of audience there'd be there.

Coincidentally, this sentence also neatly sums up my thoughts on the Steve Wright / Scott Mills situation.

Remains to be seen how that will go down, come autumn; Scott Mills' previous Radio 2 efforts have always seemed to me like someone's accidentally broadcast a Radio 1 show on the wrong station.

Steve - a great broadcaster. Listened to him on and off for many years. However, the format of the show has remained unchanged for a very long time. And if I heard one more of those tedious Jon Culshaw Alan Bennett impressions...

Steve has had a very good innings. Time to let someone else have a go.

Is Scott Mills that person? Like you, not been terribly impressed by his recent outings on Radio 2. However, he's obviously had a successful career on Radio 1, and there's a long tradition of presenters moving across from that station to Radio 2. He deserves a chance. Let's see how he figures out.

More generally, I suspect that Radio 2 is evolving and taking us to a much less eclectic place. Changing with the times they would say.

RE: Radio 2 - Andrew Wood - 09-08-2022

I'm sorry, but I will always beg to differ on Steve Wright. I've found his afternoon 'show' has become more and more self-indulgent over the years and I simply feel he is the laziest DJ.

The amount of filler in his broadcasts is off the scale compared to others - with painful amounts of jingles and promos.

As for 'serious jockin' no G' I mean, please.

There was a time when Jonathan Ross stood in for him for the week. At the time I wasn't a huge fan of Ross, I'm still not, but his shows were head and shoulders and more above Wright's efforts.

I won't be sad to hear him go.

However... when Scott Mills stands in for Ken Bruce, I find him dreadfully boring.

I worry for afternoons on 2.

(09-08-2022, 02:13 PM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  I'm sorry, but I will always beg to differ on Steve Wright. I've found his afternoon 'show' has become more and more self-indulgent over the years and I simply feel he is the laziest DJ.

Don't disagree with the general sentiment here. As I said, the format of the show has been the same for many years. And yes, "Serious Jockin'" is a particular low point of the week - no idea how that has lasted as long as it has.

Not been impressed by Scott's stints on Radio 2 to date. As I say, will be interesting to see how he develops the afternoon slot and adapts to the Radio 2 demographic.

RE: Radio 2 - Ash101 - 09-08-2022

I’d wait to judge Scott Mills until he starts his new show. As yes, his Ken Bruce cover has been pretty dull at times.. but his Radio 1 show has evolved and lasted over 20 years.

I’d like to think his new show will allow him to establish a style that meets in the middle of “Radio 1 Scott” and “Ken Bruce cover Scott”.

Re Sundays, I wonder if it’ll go to Rob Beckett all year round or if they’ll replace PoG for his 13 week runs with someone else

RE: Radio 2 - steve - 09-08-2022

There’s always a difference between covering someone and having your own show. Hard to judge Mills until we hear his own show. They’re clearly trying to drive the audience younger which is probably needed long-term but it’s never an easy process. Having Vernon Kaye on Breakfast cover shows their direction - like it or not.

The big one will be when Ken Bruce decides to hang up his headphones given it is the biggest show on the station. Can’t see an obvious successor, but who’d want to follow in his footsteps..!

RE: Radio 2 - Ant - 09-08-2022

Scott Mills covered Steve Wright last year for a week I think, and the show was really good. He brought back the Wonder Years for example and it felt more like a proper Scott Mills show rather than covering someone else’s show.

I think he’ll be really good, and will appeal to the Radio 1 audience of the 2000s in the same way Sara Cox, Zoe Ball and Jo Whiley do.

I can see Edith Bowman getting a slot one day, she’s done a bit of cover lately.

RE: Radio 2 - all new phil - 09-08-2022

Long thought Claudia Winkleman would be a good bet for a regular Radio 2 weekday show. Her weekend show is great, and she’s bang on target for the demographic. Same goes for Liza Tarbuck and possibly Dermot O’Leary.