Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 25-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 11:34 PM)Ant Wrote:  Rylan’s a Radio 2 highlight for me, he’s a total natural on the radio.

He did cover for Matt Edmondson on Radio 1 a few years ago but clearly found his home appealing to those a bit older.

Exactly - and same on TV too where outside Big Brother most his projects have been those that'll appeal to older viewers with the likes of Supermarket Sweep and Ready, Steady, Cook.

What I find interesting though is how a show like Rylan's will heavily lean on using the travel lady and producers on air, whilst others like Scott Mills and Sara Cox are basically the host flying solo.   I'm guessing those used on air have to be compensated should they be deemed a regular contributor - and suspect back in the stronger union days there was a line between on air talent and production which was not to be crossed.

RE: Radio 2 - Moz - 25-05-2023

(24-05-2023, 03:23 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Can someone explain to me the listener age group BBC Radio 2 is now aimed at, as it seems to be BBC Radio 2 has become a simple copy of BBC Radio 1 but for the slightly older.

I used to love listening to BBC Radio 2, and I am 37, even when I was younger I really liked The Chris Evans Breakfast Show, Jeremy Vine etc. But that was nearly a decade a go when I was 27. Now in 2023, I feel BBC Radio 2 feels very like a slightly older BBC Radio 1 station.

This is the reason why I have moved over to Heart Radio - I don't understand what listeners Radio 2 is wanting to attract now in 2023 - has their remit changed?

To me Radio 2 has been totally unlistenable to until recently. I’m 51 but hate most music from before the 90s, so every time I turned on Radio 2 I’d turn off after a few minutes due to the levels of cheesy music.

I think people wrongly assume who Radio 1 is for. Accordingly to Wikipedia it’s for the [color=#202122][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Inter, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]15–29 age group, but that’s according to a document almost 20 years old.[/font][/color]

[color=#202122][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Inter, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Radio 1 I’m sure is now for a much slimmer range up to the early 20s.[/font][/color]

[color=#202122][font=-apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, 'Segoe UI', Roboto, Inter, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]So for those who like music from the 60s and 70s I do admit National BBC Radio doesn’t really offer much. But those people will likely be listening to local radio or funeral adverts inbetween Countdown! 🤣[/font][/color]

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 25-05-2023

For me I find the music on Radio 2 a little twee, if I'm wanting music radio by myself it'll be 6Music - a similar demographic but much more varied and interesting.

However Radio 2 is great when I'm in the car with the family, it's safe enough for the kids and they like the new stuff and my wife doesn't find some of the music annoying as she does on 6. Its a good family listen

Regarding 60s and 70s music, there's plenty of 70s on Radio 2 and some on 6. 60s is an interesting era, go back 30 years and every ILR had a 60s station and they were very popular
But now it's a genre (if you can call it that) that's in decline somewhat. A lot of that is just because people are aging so there's fewer people who are nostalgic about it. But also in the 80s/90s music made in the 60s was about a third of the history of popular music, now it's just a brief but quite influential era. My father never listened to anything else but Capital Gold, now he's all about Smooth or Magic, I think those who listened to 'gold' radio just got bored of a limited playlist.

On other stations it does often sound very out of place now, music has moved on a lot since then and the contrast is sometimes jarring. It's very telling that GHR's playlist is 70s-90s, they don't think 60s sells

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 25-05-2023

For me, the one new station recently which is interesting to take note of is Boom Radio - they were about to have Paul O'Grady as their key presenter on there before he sadly passed away

Boom Radio is unique, that it doesn't have a studio base, all of their shows are produced from their presenters homes, just when a lot of radio was done during lockdown.

I have listened to a tiny bit of Boom Radio, and it sounds to me the station that many older listeners want Radio 2 to be now in 2023. It's a bit like a time machine of a station, with a comforting sound for the over 50s who seem to be ignored by radio a lot these days - considering the over 50s are the ones who consume more radio, and are likely to be a lot loyal and stick around, Boom Radio has benefited from it.

RE: Radio 2 - NickyBoy - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 09:52 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  For me, the one new station recently which is interesting to take note of is Boom Radio - they were about to have Paul O'Grady as their key presenter on there before he sadly passed away

Boom Radio is unique, that it doesn't have a studio base, all of their shows are produced from their presenters homes, just when a lot of radio was done during lockdown.

I have listened to a tiny bit of Boom Radio, and it sounds to me the station that many older listeners want Radio 2 to be now in 2023. It's a bit like a time machine of a station, with a comforting sound for the over 50s who seem to be ignored by radio a lot these days - considering the over 50s are the ones who consume more radio, and are likely to be a lot loyal and stick around, Boom Radio has benefited from it.

While is different to most of the big players in that respect, it isn't unique. There are a few stations, whether smallscale DAB or online that have presenters presenting from thier homes or remote locations.
As you say, I think lockdown - for all it's negative aspects - provided an insight to some, that you don't need a base where everyone has to go to do thier shows. If the lockdown had happened even 20 years earlier, I think it would have been a lot more difficult to maintain the output while not travelling or social distancing.

(25-05-2023, 11:02 AM)NickyBoy Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 09:52 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  For me, the one new station recently which is interesting to take note of is Boom Radio - they were about to have Paul O'Grady as their key presenter on there before he sadly passed away

While is different to most of the big players in that respect, it isn't unique. There are a few stations, whether smallscale DAB or online that have presenters presenting from thier homes or remote locations.
As you say, I think lockdown - for all it's negative aspects - provided an insight to some, that you don't need a base where everyone has to go to do thier shows. If the lockdown had happened even 20 years earlier, I think it would have been a lot more difficult to maintain the output while not travelling or social distancing.
Actually lockdown would have never happened 20 years ago, as the attitude to flu and pandemics was very different then - in 2003 working from home was really not achievable compared to now - and the attitude by governments to pandemics was simply to tough it out - people got sick, that was it. Remember the 2009 swine flu pandemic, we never locked down for that. So I don't see anything on the same scale as we had in 2020 and 2021 happening, broadcasting would have continued as normal.

RE: Radio 2 - Spencer - 25-05-2023

NickyBoy Wrote:While is different to most of the big players in that respect, it isn't unique. There are a few stations, whether smallscale DAB or online that have presenters presenting from thier homes or remote locations.
It’s not just the small stations. Nation Broadcasting, who have some fairly sizeable FM licences across the country have also done away with studios, and have all presenters broadcasting from home.

JMT1985 Wrote:Actually lockdown would have never happened 20 years ago, as the attitude to flu and pandemics was very different then - in 2003 working from home was really not achievable compared to now - and the attitude by governments to pandemics was simply to tough it out - people got sick, that was it. Remember the 2009 swine flu pandemic, we never locked down for that. So I don't see anything on the same scale as we had in 2020 and 2021 happening, broadcasting would have continued as normal.

Swine flu was far less contagious and deadly than Covid, and there wasn’t the likelihood of the NHS becoming totally overwhelmed, so there wasn’t a need for a lockdown then. We didn’t just have lockdowns in Covid because we somehow liked the idea of them more than we did eleven years beforehand.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 25-05-2023

Boom is interesting, it was started by a couple of former radio execs and has done extremely well. It's a format and a target demographic that's been tried a lot of times, both by little online only operations and big organisations like Saga.

The last set of Rajars make it very commercially viable in terms of ad sales. However I wonder if any of the big radio companies are looking at it eagerly because of that?

One issue it will have if it's to have a very long term future is that it's specifically targeting a particular generation rather than a demographic, it's even named after it. How that works as that generation gets older and smaller in number I don't know

RE: Radio 2 - London Lite - 25-05-2023

I don't think the Saga brand helped targeting listeners as it's comes over old. What Boom has mastered which the others don't is that older adults are still active, whether they're working or retired and still enjoy the music of their youth with presentation which is missed from Radio 2.

(25-05-2023, 01:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
NickyBoy Wrote:While is different to most of the big players in that respect, it isn't unique. There are a few stations, whether smallscale DAB or online that have presenters presenting from thier homes or remote locations.
It’s not just the small stations. Nation Broadcasting, who have some fairly sizeable FM licences across the country have also done away with studios, and have all presenters broadcasting from home.

JMT1985 Wrote:Actually lockdown would have never happened 20 years ago, as the attitude to flu and pandemics was very different then - in 2003 working from home was really not achievable compared to now - and the attitude by governments to pandemics was simply to tough it out - people got sick, that was it. Remember the 2009 swine flu pandemic, we never locked down for that. So I don't see anything on the same scale as we had in 2020 and 2021 happening, broadcasting would have continued as normal.

Swine flu was far less contagious and deadly than Covid, and there wasn’t the likelihood of the NHS becoming totally overwhelmed, so there wasn’t a need for a lockdown then. We didn’t just have lockdowns in Covid because we somehow liked the idea of them more than we did eleven years beforehand.
Was there lock downs in 1918 for the Spanish Flu? What about the Hong Kong Flu of 1968 or the Russian Flu of 1977? I think lock down for the Covid pandemic was the first full lock down, as the world changed into an online world, which could mean work done online, and people had a slightly better time staying indoors, with all the online entertainment etc available. 

Just an opinion - and I know I have veered off course here, sorry - I will go back on course about BBC Radio 2 now, I promise.