Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - bilky asko - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 05:16 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 01:48 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It’s not just the small stations. Nation Broadcasting, who have some fairly sizeable FM licences across the country have also done away with studios, and have all presenters broadcasting from home.

Swine flu was far less contagious and deadly than Covid, and there wasn’t the likelihood of the NHS becoming totally overwhelmed, so there wasn’t a need for a lockdown then. We didn’t just have lockdowns in Covid because we somehow liked the idea of them more than we did eleven years beforehand.
Was there lock downs in 1918 for the Spanish Flu? What about the Hong Kong Flu of 1968 or the Russian Flu of 1977? I think lock down for the Covid pandemic was the first full lock down, as the world changed into an online world, which could mean work done online, and people had a slightly better time staying indoors, with all the online entertainment etc available. 

Just an opinion - and I know I have veered off course here, sorry - I will go back on course about BBC Radio 2 now, I promise.

There were maritime quarantines, school closures, banning of mass gatherings, theatre and church closures for the Spanish Flu in some areas. The reason measures weren't undertaken in the UK was because there was a World War on at the time. News of it was supressed in many countries to keep up morale - the name "Spanish flu" came about because Spain reported on the flu, and people wrongly assumed that was where it must have originated.

In reference to your earlier post, Mexico instituted a lockdown for Swine Flu in 2009.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 25-05-2023

And back in the 17th century theatres were closed for 78 months over a 10 year period due to the plague, with 40 day quarantine periods for arrivals into the country. Shakespeare had to work from home.

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2020/mar/22/shakespeare-in-lockdown-did-he-write-king-lear-in-plague-quarantine 

As with most things the flexibility that doing things from home or anywhere offers can only be a good thing and I suspect though far from the norm that some elements of the radio industry were doing it pre-covid occasionally. Indeed radio was arguably an advert for working from home decades ago with pirate stations etc.

As for the wider demos debate one oddity with radio compared to TV is an expectation people stick to one station - and very little cross promotion if any between stations. They'll be no mention of Radio 1 Big Weekend on Radio 2 for example despite it likely being of interest to some listeners - not just the recently converted but older fans of live music too.

RE: Radio 2 - XIII - 25-05-2023

I'm not sure how this thread went from Radio 2's audience to lockdowns....

RE: Radio 2 - steve - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 07:02 PM)XIII Wrote:  I'm not sure how this thread went from Radio 2's audience to lockdowns....
Thats how the Jeremy Vine show goes most days…

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 25-05-2023

Back on track now - Back to BBC Radio 2 everyone, sorry for the slight detour. Can happen at times on here.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 25-05-2023

Going back to Boom, I was just listening to Chris Hawkin's podcast How to DJ which interviewed Nicky Horne. He mentioned the set up at Boom and there is some uniqueness in the way they do the planning for their programmes. However he said that he isn't (yet) able to present from home live, he voice tracks his daily show. I don't know if every DJ is limited like that or if it's just issues with some

RE: Radio 2 - Spencer - 25-05-2023

Stooky Bill Wrote:Going back to Boom, I was just listening to Chris Hawkin's podcast How to DJ which interviewed Nicky Horne. He mentioned the set up at Boom and there is some uniqueness in the way they do the planning for their programmes. However he said that he isn't (yet) able to present from home live, he voice tracks his daily show. I don't know if every DJ is limited like that or if it's just issues with some
As I understand it, they typically voice track slightly ahead of schedule, dropping the links into the running order as they go along. So what you’re hearing was probably only recorded a few minutes beforehand, allowing them to respond to listeners’ messages and anything topical that’s going on.

I did the same from our spare room when doing a bit of cover on my former colleagues’ new station about a year ago. It was quite handy being able to get about half an hour ahead of schedule at one point so I could take the dog out for a quick walk.

RE: Radio 2 - Studio7 - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 06:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And back in the 17th century theatres were closed for 78 months over a 10 year period due to the plague, with 40 day quarantine periods for arrivals into the country.  Shakespeare had to work from home.

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2020/mar/22/shakespeare-in-lockdown-did-he-write-king-lear-in-plague-quarantine 
As was very timely depicted in Upstart Crow's 2020 Christmas special. Big Grin

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 09:45 PM)Spencer Wrote:  
Stooky Bill Wrote:Going back to Boom, I was just listening to Chris Hawkin's podcast How to DJ which interviewed Nicky Horne. He mentioned the set up at Boom and there is some uniqueness in the way they do the planning for their programmes. However he said that he isn't (yet) able to present from home live, he voice tracks his daily show. I don't know if every DJ is limited like that or if it's just issues with some
As I understand it, they typically voice track slightly ahead of schedule, dropping the links into the running order as they go along. So what you’re hearing was probably only recorded a few minutes beforehand, allowing them to respond to listeners’ messages and anything topical that’s going on.

I did the same from our spare room when doing a bit of cover on my former colleagues’ new station about a year ago. It was quite handy being able to get about half an hour ahead of schedule at one point so I could take the dog out for a quick walk.
That sounds likely, after all they'd want some listener interaction (I haven't listened to hear what sort of thing they do) . He said he normally prepares 40mins to an hour for a 2 hour show and you can VT a 2 hour show in 20 mins, but he didn't say what sort of VT is done for Boom. 

Presumably the inability to do it live is down to Internet bandwidth?

RE: Radio 2 - TVfan23 - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 06:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And back in the 17th century theatres were closed for 78 months over a 10 year period due to the plague, with 40 day quarantine periods for arrivals into the country.  Shakespeare had to work from home.

As with most things the flexibility that doing things from home or anywhere offers can only be a good thing and I suspect though far from the norm that some elements of the radio industry were doing it pre-covid occasionally.  Indeed radio was arguably an advert for working from home decades ago with pirate stations etc.

As for the wider demos debate one oddity with radio compared to TV is an expectation people stick to one station - and very little cross promotion if any between stations.  They'll be no mention of Radio 1 Big Weekend on Radio 2 for example despite it likely being of interest to some listeners - not just the recently converted but older fans of live music too.
They've been playing out trails for Radio 1's Big Weekend on Radio 2 across the past week, if that counts?