Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - Spencer - 25-05-2023

Stooky Bill Wrote:
Spencer Wrote:As I understand it, they typically voice track slightly ahead of schedule, dropping the links into the running order as they go along. So what you’re hearing was probably only recorded a few minutes beforehand, allowing them to respond to listeners’ messages and anything topical that’s going on.

I did the same from our spare room when doing a bit of cover on my former colleagues’ new station about a year ago. It was quite handy being able to get about half an hour ahead of schedule at one point so I could take the dog out for a quick walk.
That sounds likely, after all they'd want some listener interaction (I haven't listened to hear what sort of thing they do) . He said he normally prepares 40mins to an hour for a 2 hour show and you can VT a 2 hour show in 20 mins, but he didn't say what sort of VT is done for Boom. 

Presumably the inability to do it live is down to Internet bandwidth?
The system I was using, Myriad, had the capability for live remote broadcasting, although it seemed rather more complicated and less foolproof than the voicetracking option.

It might just be that when the presenters don’t have any technical help on hand, they’ve decided to keep it as simple as possible, particularly when the presenters are of a generation that maybe less au fait with digital systems.

RE: Radio 2 - Steve in Pudsey - 25-05-2023

That kind of live voicetracking is how Bauer and Global networks drop in local links here and there.

This pigeon-holing of the target age group of each station doesn't help the BBC, just as it didn't when Moyles moved on and left a lot of people between the supposed age ranges of both stations feeling homeless.

I've been listening to a lot of a station called Monster Radio, which broadcasts in English on FM in Lanzarote/Fuerteventura. Many of the presenters are "of a certain age", but it seems to get a pretty diverse audience, both of people in the Canaries and those who found the station on holiday and continued to listen online. It's cheap and cheerful and prides itself on the eclecticness of music played, mainly because a huge majority of what they play is requests, it's like the 10 Hour Takeover. Just shows that giving people what they actually want is the way to get an audience.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 10:35 PM)TVfan23 Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 06:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And back in the 17th century theatres were closed for 78 months over a 10 year period due to the plague, with 40 day quarantine periods for arrivals into the country.  Shakespeare had to work from home.

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2020/mar/22/shakespeare-in-lockdown-did-he-write-king-lear-in-plague-quarantine 

As with most things the flexibility that doing things from home or anywhere offers can only be a good thing and I suspect though far from the norm that some elements of the radio industry were doing it pre-covid occasionally.  Indeed radio was arguably an advert for working from home decades ago with pirate stations etc.

As for the wider demos debate one oddity with radio compared to TV is an expectation people stick to one station - and very little cross promotion if any between stations.  They'll be no mention of Radio 1 Big Weekend on Radio 2 for example despite it likely being of interest to some listeners - not just the recently converted but older fans of live music too.
They've been playing out trails for Radio 1's Big Weekend on Radio 2 across the past week, if that counts?
I stand corrected then.   I flip between the two but can't say I've ever heard one station ever trailed on the other.

RE: Radio 2 - Jon - 25-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 10:41 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That kind of live voicetracking is how Bauer and Global networks drop in local links here and there.

This pigeon-holing of the target age group of each station doesn't help the BBC, just as it didn't when Moyles moved on and left a lot of people between the supposed age ranges of both stations feeling homeless.

I've been listening to a lot of a station called Monster Radio, which broadcasts in English on FM in Lanzarote/Fuerteventura. Many of the presenters are "of a certain age", but it seems to get a pretty diverse audience, both of people in the Canaries and those who found the station on holiday and continued to listen online.  It's cheap and cheerful and prides itself on the eclecticness of music played, mainly because a huge majority of what they play is requests, it's like the 10 Hour Takeover. Just shows that giving people what they actually want is the way to get an audience.
You say the audience gets what it want? The small percentage of the audience who phone in maybe get what they want once a day surely. Not sure that’s a way to run a National radio station. 

I also assume there is limited English language choice in the area so that presumably means they don’t really have to target one particular group.

RE: Radio 2 - Andrew - 25-05-2023

TVfan23 Wrote:
Brekkie Wrote:And back in the 17th century theatres were closed for 78 months over a 10 year period due to the plague, with 40 day quarantine periods for arrivals into the country.  Shakespeare had to work from home.

https://amp.theguardian.com/stage/2020/mar/22/shakespeare-in-lockdown-did-he-write-king-lear-in-plague-quarantine 

As with most things the flexibility that doing things from home or anywhere offers can only be a good thing and I suspect though far from the norm that some elements of the radio industry were doing it pre-covid occasionally.  Indeed radio was arguably an advert for working from home decades ago with pirate stations etc.

As for the wider demos debate one oddity with radio compared to TV is an expectation people stick to one station - and very little cross promotion if any between stations.  They'll be no mention of Radio 1 Big Weekend on Radio 2 for example despite it likely being of interest to some listeners - not just the recently converted but older fans of live music too.
They've been playing out trails for Radio 1's Big Weekend on Radio 2 across the past week, if that counts?

I wonder how much of that is because the BBC want to get their moneys worth out of the event and will subsequently play the live sets on the other stations as well - a bit of Lewis Capaldi on Radio 2, the Wet Leg set on 6 Music.

In regards to the age targets, I think they are much less obsessed about that on Radio 1 than they were in the Grimmy era. I think they’ve realised young people coming in the door are arriving much slower than older ones they’d be kicking out, so if you want to still have a decent reach in the Rajars, don’t alienate the oldies too much

Hence Radio 1 00s on a Sunday and blocks of ‘Anthems’ all over the place and Greg being perfectly relatable to people of a wide age group. I don’t relate to that ‘middle aged mums on a school run’ feel that Zoe Ball gives off

RE: Radio 2 - Steve in Pudsey - 26-05-2023

(25-05-2023, 10:45 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(25-05-2023, 10:41 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That kind of live voicetracking is how Bauer and Global networks drop in local links here and there.

I've been listening to a lot of a station called Monster Radio, which broadcasts in English on FM in Lanzarote/Fuerteventura. Many of the presenters are "of a certain age", but it seems to get a pretty diverse audience, both of people in the Canaries and those who found the station on holiday and continued to listen online.  It's cheap and cheerful and prides itself on the eclecticness of music played, mainly because a huge majority of what they play is requests, it's like the 10 Hour Takeover. Just shows that giving people what they actually want is the way to get an audience.
You say the audience gets what it want? The small percentage of the audience who phone in maybe get what they want once a day surely. Not sure that’s a way to run a National radio station. 

I also assume there is limited English language choice in the area so that presumably means they don’t really have to target one particular group.

There's this thing called the internet, you might have heard of it, it gives access to stations in any language from anywhere in the world.

My point was simply that having a broad playlist can attract a wide audience without having to pigeon hole by age.

RE: Radio 2 - Jon - 26-05-2023

Not really sure your point is based on anything other than a feeling. Yes, online radio exists but that’s still puts it at a massive disadvantage over those with a FM/digital reach in a given area. I’m not saying there is no market for a station that just plays random songs from any era and genre but that means the majority of people are going to be hearing music they don’t like most of the time, so when there is a choice of something more focused they’re more likely to stick with that.

I’m not suggesting BBC stations should become as restricted as Heart or Capital, but there needs to be some idea of who they’re trying to appeal to, otherwise they’ll appeal to hardly anyone.

RE: Radio 2 - Joe - 26-05-2023

Yes… targeting everyone usually means appealing to nobody.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 26-05-2023

First full house on Ten to the Top today. Yes, it's still not Popmaster but with a better host in charge of the format it's working so much better.

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 26-05-2023

So how's Vernon doing on Radio 2 - anyone listen in to see how his show is settling in? It's been two weeks now with him at the helm at 9.30am, what does people think?