Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - bai4943 - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 01:09 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  So how's Vernon doing on Radio 2 - anyone listen in to see how his show is settling in? It's been two weeks now with him at the helm at 9.30am, what does people think?

Personally I've been enjoying his show so far. I was a very long term listener of Ken Bruce and was anxious about how it would go! So far, so good. Got used to Ten to Top too - maybe just my impression, but it appears to be attracting more general contestants than the professional music quiz types that came onto PopMaster.

RE: Radio 2 - LargelyALurker - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 12:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  First full house on Ten to the Top today.  Yes, it's still not Popmaster but with a better host in charge of the format it's working so much better.

I think it's the third - at least one, if not two or more, with Gary Davies. But first with Vernon presenting. 

I'd say he's settling in well - I preferred Ken in many ways, but Vernon's doing what he needs to. I think it's, perhaps surprisingly, a much smoother transition than Steve Wright to Scott Mills, despite the latter being more experienced than Vernon and them having much more time to plan the transition.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 12:31 PM)Joe Wrote:  Yes… targeting everyone usually means appealing to nobody. 

Yes, the first thing you're taught is 'know your audience' 

The age ranges for the BBC stations mainly exist to prevent them infringing on their rivals, commercial stations have always had to stick to to a particular format or audience as a part of their license. Although they can be quite broad - Radio 2's has no maximum age. The other thing they do is prevent the sort of situation Radio 1 once found itself in whereby the supposed young station was attracting a big audience, but also a lot of old people. Radio 1 on a Saturday when I was a teenager was DLT playing 70s guitar based album tracks and pub games followed by vintage comedy clips and then AOR. Awful. 

But of course commercial radio has its own age ranges too, much tighter than those given to the BBC stations. They have to sell advertising to those groups.

RE: Radio 2 - Ant - 26-05-2023

On the topic of jingles, I notice that the new All Request Friday jingle isn’t being used and the previous one remains - I wonder why.

RE: Radio 2 - alfiejmulcahy - 26-05-2023

The change from Ken to Vernon via Gary felt much more natural than the shift from Wright to Mills in the afternoon. Both have settled in really well though and I'm really enjoying both of their programmes. In fact, thus far I am much preferring Vernon to Ken, he's faced criticism by some in the past for his radio skills but he really is a natural fit in that slot and certainly doesn't feel out of place.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 05:10 PM)Ant Wrote:  On the topic of jingles, I notice that the new All Request Friday jingle isn’t being used and the previous one remains - I wonder why.

Did someone request the old one?

Funny though how on the whole Radio 2 have rebranded it's overall identity and the identity of all it's individual programmes in the same week whilst on TV we're still getting new 2023 produced programming making it to aircwith a logo supposedly axed in 2021.

RE: Radio 2 - madmusician - 26-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 01:36 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 12:48 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  First full house on Ten to the Top today.  Yes, it's still not Popmaster but with a better host in charge of the format it's working so much better.

I think it's the third - at least one, if not two or more, with Gary Davies. But first with Vernon presenting. 

I'd say he's settling in well - I preferred Ken in many ways, but Vernon's doing what he needs to. I think it's, perhaps surprisingly, a much smoother transition than Steve Wright to Scott Mills, despite the latter being more experienced than Vernon and them having much more time to plan the transition.

I guess this is because there was a deliberate plan to change the presentation style (and music policy) of the afternoon show when they shifted it from Steve Wright to Scott Mills, and there wasn’t much desire to change the presentation style/music mix of the mid-morning show (they didn’t want to lose Ken, after all). So they’ve deliberately gone for the evolution-not-revolution route for the mids show, which has worked really well. 

And credit to the management of Radio 2, they have dealt with the whole ‘Ken leaving for commercial radio’ situation really, really well - taking him off at a sensible time (despite some criticism at the time, I do think they made the right strategic move here), to get a caretaker host (and new quiz format) in place before Ken’s GHR show launched, use a well-liked cover presenter to do a couple of months to allow Ken to settle in at GHR before bringing in the new permanent host, who was chosen well and suits the slot/show style, and not really change much about the structure, presentation or music of the show. Tremendous work in a tricky situation.

The afternoon situation was different - they clearly wanted a big ‘generational’ change in style, and decided not to evolve but to really shake it up. Yes, they used OJ Borg to fill the gap between Steve and Scott, but OJ was very much doing a show in the style of Steve Wright (not with the Big Show jingles, characters and features, sure, but lots of interviews and a similar music policy and show style) before there was a clunking change when Scott started. And that was their choice, which did jar a bit. They’ve proved now that they are capable of doing gentle evolution - and that clearly wasn’t the desire for the afternoon shift.

And, to be fair, the RAJARs have shown that the afternoon changes have largely done their job, getting the average age down whilst maintaining the audience.

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 26-05-2023

I wonder how Ken is doing on GHR? Didn't he pull in over 8 million listeners a week on BBC Radio 2? I wonder how many of that 8 million weekly listeners have moved over to GHR - as I have a feeling with Radio 2 available everywhere in the UK on every platform, and GHR not exactly in the same position, his listening figures might be low. Anyone know?

RE: Radio 2 - Scrotnig - 26-05-2023

I need to admit to rather liking the new jingles, they are growing on me.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 07:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I wonder how Ken is doing on GHR? Didn't he pull in over 8 million listeners a week on BBC Radio 2?  I wonder how many of that 8 million weekly listeners have moved over to GHR - as I have a feeling with Radio 2 available everywhere in the UK on every platform, and GHR not exactly in the same position, his listening figures might be low. Anyone know?

Radio ratings are only released quarterly so we won't find out until July/August.