Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - AaronLancs - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 05:46 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(26-05-2023, 07:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I wonder how Ken is doing on GHR? Didn't he pull in over 8 million listeners a week on BBC Radio 2?  I wonder how many of that 8 million weekly listeners have moved over to GHR - as I have a feeling with Radio 2 available everywhere in the UK on every platform, and GHR not exactly in the same position, his listening figures might be low. Anyone know?

Radio ratings are only released quarterly so we won't find out until July/August.

According to my Radio Today Wallplanner that is up in my bedroom. The date for your diaries is Thursday August 3rd. That'll be the first proper 'snapshot' of how things are playing since the changes at both BBC Radio 2 & GHR have settled in.

Then the next proper comparison date for your diaries is Thursday October 26th. Assuming Bauer don't tinker about with their stable of frequencies in trying to get more stations GHR-ised that is.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 27-05-2023

(26-05-2023, 07:36 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I wonder how Ken is doing on GHR? Didn't he pull in over 8 million listeners a week on BBC Radio 2?  I wonder how many of that 8 million weekly listeners have moved over to GHR - as I have a feeling with Radio 2 available everywhere in the UK on every platform, and GHR not exactly in the same position, his listening figures might be low. Anyone know?
He started in April. The latest Rajar figures were for Q1 so Jan/Feb/Mar. No one will really know until the Q2 figures come out, presumably in July. 

It won't be anywhere near his Radio 2 audience, the lady experience of DJs like Chris Evans, Graham Norton and Simon Mayo has proved that. 

One thing to consider is that GHR had a big increase in audience in Q1, possibly partly the publicity from Ken Bruce's signing even though he hadn't started yet. So any increase he makes might not look as good as it should do

RE: Radio 2 - Ant - 27-05-2023

Not to mention the seven Scottish stations that became Greatest Hits Radio in April. Not sure how that'll affect the figures.

RE: Radio 2 - AaronLancs - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 08:57 AM)Ant Wrote:  Not to mention the seven Scottish stations that became Greatest Hits Radio in April. Not sure how that'll affect the figures.

Exactly my point. The only time that we may be able to compare more favourably would be Thursday October the 26th more likely for the Q3 figures moreso than the Q1 figures.

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 27-05-2023

It's interesting to ask why when presenters leave the BBC for commercial radio, that their listeners don't travel with them?

Now of course I know there are a number of factors, but if people loved Ken Bruce at 9.30am on BBC Radio 2, then surely they would move with him to GHR, as it is a widely receivable station.

However, for someone not clued up on this, can anyone explain the factors that lead their fans to not leave with them? Thank you.

RE: Radio 2 - alfiejmulcahy - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 09:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It's interesting to ask why when presenters leave the BBC for commercial radio, that their listeners don't travel with them?

Now of course I know there are a number of factors, but if people loved Ken Bruce at 9.30am on BBC Radio 2, then surely they would move with him to GHR, as it is a widely receivable station.

However, for someone not clued up on this, can anyone explain the factors that lead their fans to not leave with them?  Thank you.
Many reasons. Radio 2 seems to mean more as a station than any individual presenter on it. Chris Evans did exactly the same thing as Ken, leaving Radio 2 for Virgin and whilst some listeners left, there was no mass exodus. For many tuning to Radio 2 is a habit no matter who presents on it.

There is also a lot to be said for the ad-free nature of BBC Radio. Moreso than TV, radio advertising is far more intrusive (in my opinion) and puts a lot of people off.

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 10:39 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 09:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It's interesting to ask why when presenters leave the BBC for commercial radio, that their listeners don't travel with them?

However, for someone not clued up on this, can anyone explain the factors that lead their fans to not leave with them?  Thank you.
Many reasons. Radio 2 seems to mean more as a station than any individual presenter on it. Chris Evans did exactly the same thing as Ken, leaving Radio 2 for Virgin and whilst some listeners left, there was no mass exodus. For many tuning to Radio 2 is a habit no matter who presents on it.

There is also a lot to be said for the ad-free nature of BBC Radio. Moreso than TV, radio advertising is far more intrusive (in my opinion) and puts a lot of people off.
Isn't that why Chris Evans initially on Virgin Radio had no commercials, and was sponsored by Sky, which I think still sponsors his show. I am not sure if that ad free agreement is still in place. 

Graham Norton's Virgin Radio show is sponsored by Waitrose, I wonder if that is ad free too?

RE: Radio 2 - alfiejmulcahy - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 12:35 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 10:39 AM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Many reasons. Radio 2 seems to mean more as a station than any individual presenter on it. Chris Evans did exactly the same thing as Ken, leaving Radio 2 for Virgin and whilst some listeners left, there was no mass exodus. For many tuning to Radio 2 is a habit no matter who presents on it.

Isn't that why Chris Evans initially on Virgin Radio had no commercials, and was sponsored by Sky, which I think still sponsors his show. I am not sure if that ad free agreement is still in place. 

Graham Norton's Virgin Radio show is sponsored by Waitrose, I wonder if that is ad free too?
Evans' show is now sponsored by Cinch and the programme carries far fewer adverts than the rest of the network, but Evans' now has a couple of advert breaks towards the end of the programme but not many. Norton's I believe is still ad-free, but I only tend to listen to the first hour or two.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 27-05-2023

Would be interesting to see how they stack up financially and whether the fewer ad slots in the programme go for a much higher rate than if they had the full quota.

RE: Radio 2 - Gary Baldy - 27-05-2023

As a regular listener of Virgin, Chris’s breakfast show in the mornings is mostly ad-free bar a couple of breaks at the end.

But if he has a stand-in in for him, there seems to be a load of breaks… so the Chris Evans Breakfast Show doesn’t tend to have adverts when Chris Evans is on it, but does when Chris Evans isn’t on it. Even though they still call it the Chris Evans Breakfast show when he’s not there.