Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - JMT1985 - 27-05-2023

I wonder if having a radio show sponsored would help to off set commercial breaks - maybe other shows on other stations could follow a similar path, which might help reduce the commercial breaks and maybe bring in more listeners, maybe Bauer could do this with Ken's show on GHR in the future?

RE: Radio 2 - Jon - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 03:55 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  maybe Bauer could do this with Ken's show on GHR in the future?
There is a difference between a single sponsor ‘buying out’ all the advertising for a single Digital feed of a station, than one that has dozens of local opt outs with hundreds of advertisers on FM across the country. Basically the advertising space is Bauer’s main product, the other being their subscription service which wouldn’t serve any purpose with your idea. 

Yes, they could increase audiences massively by ditching advertising, but there is no point to having the highest listening figures if you can’t make money from them.

RE: Radio 2 - AaronLancs - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 04:09 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 03:55 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  maybe Bauer could do this with Ken's show on GHR in the future?
There is a difference between a single sponsor ‘buying out’ all the advertising for a single Digital feed of a station, than one that has dozens of local opt outs with hundreds of advertisers on FM across the country. Basically the advertising space is Bauer’s main product, the other being their subscription service which wouldn’t serve any purpose with your idea. 

Yes, they could increase audiences massively by ditching advertising, but there is no point to having the highest listening figures if you can’t make money from them.

That is the thing no-one thinks about with GHR in essence is this. It isn't strictly a "national" station but one that is made up of tons of local frequencies here and there. In Cleveleys where I live, the local FM frequency is what was the old Radio Wave one on 96.5FM. I'm sure that those who advertise locally still on these "stations" would be too pleased with having their adverts ripped from the airwaves because the need to get Ken - or anyone really - more listeners.

RE: Radio 2 - London Lite - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 04:22 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 04:09 PM)Jon Wrote:  There is a difference between a single sponsor ‘buying out’ all the advertising for a single Digital feed of a station, than one that has dozens of local opt outs with hundreds of advertisers on FM across the country. Basically the advertising space is Bauer’s main product, the other being their subscription service which wouldn’t serve any purpose with your idea. 

That is the thing no-one thinks about with GHR in essence is this. It isn't strictly a "national" station but one that is made up of tons of local frequencies here and there. In Cleveleys where I live, the local FM frequency is what was the old Radio Wave one on 96.5FM. I'm sure that those who advertise locally still on these "stations" would be too pleased with having their adverts ripped from the airwaves because the need to get Ken - or anyone really - more listeners.

The same could be said for every commercial national radio station except Classic FM and TalkSport which have national INR licenses. However while GHR, Capital, Heart and Smooth are made up of local ILR and regional licences, they're one station each overall with opt-outs. France has a similar issue with the likes of NRJ and Nostalgie which are made of of networking local transmitters across the country, but they're national with some regional opt-outs depending on the market.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 08:57 AM)Ant Wrote:  Not to mention the seven Scottish stations that became Greatest Hits Radio in April. Not sure how that'll affect the figures.
Not just those, but Lincs FM and CFM in Cumbria both became GHR In April. That will increase it's overall network figures, but I think they also report the local stations individually.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 09:55 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  It's interesting to ask why when presenters leave the BBC for commercial radio, that their listeners don't travel with them?

Now of course I know there are a number of factors, but if people loved Ken Bruce at 9.30am on BBC Radio 2, then surely they would move with him to GHR, as it is a widely receivable station.

However, for someone not clued up on this, can anyone explain the factors that lead their fans to not leave with them?  Thank you.
A lot of it is because people are generally loyal to stations rather than presenters. People connect their personality with their choice in radio station. This is a major difference between how people consume TV and radio - you never get someone saying they're a BBC2 viewer but they do say they're a Radio 2 listener. 

Once you get in a routine of listening to a station it's often difficult to change it, and a lot of radio listening is passive - you get in the car, chick the radio on and listen. For most the fact its Gary or Vernon or Ken doesn't really matter

RE: Radio 2 - London Lite - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 07:52 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 08:57 AM)Ant Wrote:  Not to mention the seven Scottish stations that became Greatest Hits Radio in April. Not sure how that'll affect the figures.
Not just those, but Lincs FM and CFM in Cumbria both became GHR In April. That will increase it's overall network figures, but I think they also report the local stations individually.

Lincs FM is still going as a full service station on DAB.

RE: Radio 2 - alfiejmulcahy - 27-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 02:59 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  As a regular listener of Virgin, Chris’s breakfast show in the mornings is mostly ad-free bar a couple of breaks at the end.

But if he has a stand-in in for him, there seems to be a load of breaks… so the Chris Evans Breakfast Show doesn’t tend to have adverts when Chris Evans is on it, but does when Chris Evans isn’t on it. Even though they still call it the Chris Evans Breakfast show when he’s not there.
As an aside, I do find Tom Allen's insistence on saying "You're listening to Tom Allen in for the Chris Evans Breakfast Show with Cinch" really quite annoying. It's just so clunky, I understand that it's vital from a brand perspective, but there must be a slightly smoother way.

RE: Radio 2 - Gary Baldy - 28-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 10:27 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 02:59 PM)Gary Baldy Wrote:  As a regular listener of Virgin, Chris’s breakfast show in the mornings is mostly ad-free bar a couple of breaks at the end.

But if he has a stand-in in for him, there seems to be a load of breaks… so the Chris Evans Breakfast Show doesn’t tend to have adverts when Chris Evans is on it, but does when Chris Evans isn’t on it. Even though they still call it the Chris Evans Breakfast show when he’s not there.
As an aside, I do find Tom Allen's insistence on saying "You're listening to Tom Allen in for the Chris Evans Breakfast Show with Cinch" really quite annoying. It's just so clunky, I understand that it's vital from a brand perspective, but there must be a slightly smoother way.
I don’t understand why they don’t just rename it to the Tom Allen Breakfast Show when he stands in- no need to name a show after a presenter who’s not there. Radio are normally more sensible about that than TV (with TV, both Lorraine and Jeremy Vine seem to be off their shows more than they’re on them), but not Virgin- Tom could simply just say he’s standing in for Chris then try to segue into the Cinch sponsorship naturally, but it’s just odd hearing the show being called the Chris Evans Breakfast Show when he’s not there- if I was none the wiser, I’d assume he’d died and it had been renamed in tribute.

RE: Radio 2 - Stooky Bill - 28-05-2023

(27-05-2023, 09:09 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 07:52 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Not just those, but Lincs FM and CFM in Cumbria both became GHR In April. That will increase it's overall network figures, but I think they also report the local stations individually.

Lincs FM is still going as a full service station on DAB.
Indeed, how that is going we'll see in future Rajars. I suspect it won't be as 'full service' for very long

The addition of that big area on FM will certainly bolster their total audience