Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - Isonstine - 09-08-2022

In an alternate universe, I always imagined Scott ending up at Heart despite the tight format.

I too have been a bit disappointed with his cover for Ken Bruce recently. It felt very much like he was phoning it in but I'm sure one or more of the recent stints involved him still presenting his Radio 1 show later in the day so it's obvious where the efforts were focused. Scott is a very talented broadcaster and given the chance to the Radio 2 show his own, I think he will take the afternoons to a good place.

As for Steve Wright - he's a legend and the formulaic nonsense is still incredibly popular. I fell out of love with him over recent years but during lockdown I found his show to be a great comfort and learned to appreciate the familiarity once again. He's deaf as a post though with headphones far too loud that you can hear the feedback when he speaks. I don't know what processing is in play when he's on air but it's so 'punchy' that it makes some songs sound mono. At times it feels like the headache inducing days of GWR stations. Definitely time for something new but he produced a lot of good radio. For all his faults, he has rarely been "that was, this is".

RE: Radio 2 - Lester - 09-08-2022

I know it's a part of the Zoo format but the constant false hilarity and hijinks with fake laughter on Steve Wright's show has run its course. I will miss the theme though. 

Hopefully in the autumn, R2 will come up with some new jingles after they sliced up the current ones, removing the sung FM references with a really awful BBC sounds voice-over.

RE: Radio 2 - Toby brown - 09-08-2022

Scott is a great broadcaster I will miss his radio 1 show but he deserves a radio 2 gig. I'm probably going to tune in as I'm sure dean his replacement is a nice person but I find him very hard to listen to

RE: Radio 2 - JexedBack - 10-08-2022

(09-08-2022, 08:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Long thought Claudia Winkleman would be a good bet for a regular Radio 2 weekday show. Her weekend show is great, and she’s bang on target for the demographic. Same goes for Liza Tarbuck and possibly Dermot O’Leary.

Liza Tarbuck is brilliant! Very underrated.

RE: Radio 2 - Steve in Pudsey - 11-08-2022

I thought Scott was excellent when he covered Pick of the Pops for Gambo. It shouldn't be a surprise that the guy who has been covering the Radio 1 chart show for over 20 years should be totally comfortable in that format, but he seemed to bring a real energy to it. (And he had already done the 5Live show that morning).

I'm sure that with his name above the door and his own format he'll be great.

RE: Radio 2 - DavidWhitfield - 11-08-2022

(10-08-2022, 08:29 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  
(09-08-2022, 08:48 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Long thought Claudia Winkleman would be a good bet for a regular Radio 2 weekday show. Her weekend show is great, and she’s bang on target for the demographic. Same goes for Liza Tarbuck and possibly Dermot O’Leary.

Liza Tarbuck is brilliant! Very underrated.

I was first introduced to her eclectic nature on Taskmaster, and have since begun listening to her Radio 2 programme when possible. I can only agree - I think she's marvellous.

RE: Radio 2 - bilky asko - 11-08-2022

(11-08-2022, 01:53 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I thought Scott was excellent when he covered Pick of the Pops for Gambo. It shouldn't be a surprise that the guy who has been covering the Radio 1 chart show for over 20 years should be totally comfortable in that format, but he seemed to bring a real energy to it. (And he had already done the 5Live show that morning).

I'm sure that with his name above the door and his own format he'll be great.

As much as Paul Gambaccini clearly has the knowledge, I don't think he was a patch on the way Tony Blackburn did it, or even when Mark Goodier covered it for a while. I hadn't realised Scott Mills had covered it, but it does make complete sense that he'd be good for it.

RE: Radio 2 - Clean Feed - 14-08-2022

For those who may be interested, a reminder that Paul O'Grady's final show on BBC Radio 2 airs this evening.

It also marks the end of the road at the BBC for Paul's producer, Malcolm Prince, who has decided to leave the BBC after 22 years:

https://twitter.com/malprin/status/1558349100646547457?s=20&t=HhtGarzptmP4l1Y0nxz7Bg 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChPUs2rjcjG/?igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY%3D 

RE: Radio 2 - all new phil - 14-08-2022

O’Grady is terrible on the radio. Rob Beckett was a breath of fresh air in the Sunday evening slot.

RE: Radio 2 - Liam - 17-08-2022

(14-08-2022, 11:27 PM)all new phil Wrote:  O’Grady is terrible on the radio. Rob Beckett was a breath of fresh air in the Sunday evening slot.

I often enjoyed it, does anyone know if his Christmas Day show will continue?