Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - Ant - 15-05-2023

10 years (or 11 if you count the same package with the old motif) is a long time for a jingle package to be in place, it had a good run but was in need of a refresh.

I like how they’ve kept parts of the old package, such as Vine’s phone dialling sound effect within the theme. The news intros are quite commercial radio sounding - I do like them but not a fan of how the actual Radio 2 sonic logo is partly spoken over.

RE: Radio 2 - bilky asko - 15-05-2023

Clare Runacres often posts on Twitter with recordings of her doing the news bulletins - here's one from 5pm, and how a new jingle can cause teething troubles:

RE: Radio 2 - madmusician - 15-05-2023

Well I am not a fan of the new package. I think that the 2013 package was just so well done, and it’s been watered down over the years in any case (not least replacing the sung frequency with that awful ‘listen now on BBC Sounds’ spoken tag) but this isn’t a good enough replacement IMHO.

And it’s a real shame that the brilliant Jeremy Vine phone number jingle (over which he used to read the topics out after the first song) has been replaced by some dreadful dirge. There’s just no comparison. And I bet that there have been no orchestral recording sessions for this package, unlike in 2013:

https://youtu.be/yxhlvMC-5KE 

(The Vine jingle I refer to starts at 50 seconds)

Any idea who has done it? No sign of it on the Wise Buddah website, and I’ve googled ‘Radio 2 new jingle package’ and have got nowhere - no mention on RadioToday, for example.

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 15-05-2023

Aren't we supposed to hate these things on day one?

Only heard a little bit of today - mainly the new travel bed which yes, not as good as what it replaced on first hearing.

Refreshing though to see (or hear) an element of BBC presentation being completely refreshed- I'd much rather they refresh and it doesn't quite hit the mark than stick with what they have forever.

RE: Radio 2 - Critique - 15-05-2023

How long has ‘and on 88 to 91 FM’ featured in the TOTH sequence prior to today? I know they cut it out of most of the jingles a few years back in favour of pushing BBC Sounds, but it must be the first time in a very long time that no reference is made to it at all.

The new package is pretty weak IMO - the main logo just doesn’t have the same power behind it as the old one did. It used to always irritate me when presenters would crash the jingle before the news and now it’s baked in to the pre-recorded sequence! No logo at the start of the travel bed either, it just begins without fanfare and sounds very generic, and as posted above it’s a huge shame to lose that fantastic Jeremy Vine package.

RE: Radio 2 - Spencer - 15-05-2023

DeMarkay Wrote:They copied Global badly. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
The sequence does sound very commercial. All their previous news jingles going back decades had a certain unique air of BBC pomp about them. Rather a shame that’s now been lost.

RE: Radio 2 - London Lite - 15-05-2023

The new imaging reflects the modernisation of Radio 2, in a similar way to the LR package also sounds like commercial radio.

However it's surprising that the delivery of the news bulletins remains exactly the same as it did 40 years ago.

RE: Radio 2 - alfiejmulcahy - 15-05-2023

The new news jingle has grown on me and it does integrate so much better with the pips which is a massive plus, but it still feels so clinical with a pre-recorded message. The build up and sting are nice, and could so easily have the presenter read the line live. If they've tried to make it sound like a friendly family by introducing them, I'd argue it's done the opposite as there isn't as much connection with the current preseter.

RE: Radio 2 - madmusician - 15-05-2023

Of course, up until the Covid arrangements saw joint bulletins between various BBC radio stations, the pips would generally be played before the news jingle, rather than after it.

For example, the Chris Evans Breakfast Show would backtime their song up to 7am and 8am to hit the pips coming out of it, then Evans would do a very short link, then he’d play the news jingle and into the news we go.

They changed it a little when Zoe Ball took over, in that they didn’t go straight from the song into the pips, they had her do a menu over a bed leading up to 7am and 8am, and this was backtimed into the pips, then into the news jingle.

It was only when bulletins had to start strictly on the hour when shared between Radios 2 and 3 (and possibly some other stations, too?) during the Covid arrangements, that they would fire the news jingle to lead into the pips and then have the newsreader come straight in. Whilst I listen to a lot less Radio 2 than I used to five years ago, it seems as though this order of things has remained (jingle, pips, start the bulletin) and the new package is clearly geared up for this. And that’s fair enough - I’ll give it that.

RE: Radio 2 - Spencer - 15-05-2023

I’m of the firm belief that all news jingles on BBC radio should incorporate a hint of the David Lowe news elements to provide some consistent BBC News sonic branding.

It needn’t be anything too dominant. Radio Leeds’ 2004 IQ Beats package (also used by Kent and Stoke) incorporated the thunderclaps in their TOTH jingle which worked really well IMO.