Pres Café
Radio 2 - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Radio 2 (/showthread.php?tid=91)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

RE: Radio 2 - Brekkie - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 07:42 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 07:05 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I think he also could do with someone to bounce off more, he went from having a co-presenter to being solo. However that sort of thing happens organically and presumably would cost more. I imagine his show is a lot cheaper that Steve's was. 

It does go to show again though that generally people are more loyal to stations than presenters, I know Steve didn't go to another station but there hasn't been a mass slump in audience as some predicted. The same when Simon Mayo and Chris Evans left - they didn't take their big audience figures with them and Radio 2 didn't see a big drop. 

Whether the same happens with Ken Bruce we'll see in 3 months, I suspect it'll be a similar story.

Also a thing that I think has helped a lot in this instance is that his fans from over on Radio 1 have followed him over. So whatever depletion of listenership that occurred when they - the eternal naysayers and doommongers that I proverbially bang my head against an imaginary wall at - said "that's it I'm off" doesn't seem to have come to pass.

As I have have said over on the Blue Bird Place when responding to this and I quote:

Quote:I guess one could safely say Helen Thomas' first gambit has paid off.

But the next litmus test will be Ken Bruce & Vernon Kay come August 3rd when the next set of figures are due out.
I'd already say Vernon is the best host on the station from what I've heard so far - though helps he's replaced Gary rather than Ken directly.   He even seems to make Ten to the Top work.

RE: Radio 2 - AaronLancs - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 08:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 07:42 PM)AaronLancs Wrote:  Also a thing that I think has helped a lot in this instance is that his fans from over on Radio 1 have followed him over. So whatever depletion of listenership that occurred when they - the eternal naysayers and doommongers that I proverbially bang my head against an imaginary wall at - said "that's it I'm off" doesn't seem to have come to pass.

As I have have said over on the Blue Bird Place when responding to this and I quote:

But the next litmus test will be Ken Bruce & Vernon Kay come August 3rd when the next set of figures are due out.
I'd already say Vernon is the best host on the station from what I've heard so far - though helps he's replaced Gary rather than Ken directly.   He even seems to make Ten to the Top work.
Also given that last week (May 8th-12th) Davies had Kay on for his Tracks Of My Years. A radio baton it seems to have been passed on more naturally than most at least.

RE: Radio 2 - Critique - 18-05-2023

(17-05-2023, 10:20 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  I wonder how much leeway presenters had to play around with the 'up to news' line.

I noticed some presenters seemed to deliver it absolutely word-for-word every time, while others seemed to go off-piste regularly. Jeremy Vine often used to shorten it to something akin to "smart speaker, Sounds app, and 88 to 91 FM".

(Tarbuck in a league of her own in that regard though. An absolute gem.)

I can’t remember where I read this but allegedly it used to just be Steve Wright and Liza Tarbuck who had dispensation from the standard script at the TOTH. Why it would just be the two of them I do not know though!

As you’ve noted, that didn’t stop other presenters from going off-script occasionally - a lot of the ex-Radio 1 DJs seem to struggle at first with how they don’t have to mention the upcoming news bulletin in the TOTH script. Jo Whiley in particular went through a phase of either occasionally missing the TOTH altogether or doing a somewhat garbled link that often linked directly to the news or spoke about the music on the way (which was, and still is, generally the format of the intro to Newsbeat bulletins to Radio 1). I guess old habits die hard!

https://youtu.be/yuPRS72N5Nw 

RE: Radio 2 - Jsnbts - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 07:40 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  All that ''final nail in the coffin for Radio 2'' hysteria turned out to be complete bollocks again.

Hopefully he will now be allowed to cut loose a bit and really make the show his own.

It really feels like he’s in his element right now with what seems like a never-ending back catalogue of music to choose from, features like the Wonder Years just work so much better and he feels more relaxed now compared to when he made the move, and understandably so. 

Also agree with the other comments that they seem to have the exact right mix at the moment, as it definitely appeals to 36 year old me that wants to relive the R1 glory days alongside a nice mix of music, news and travel! 😂

RE: Radio 2 - Moz - 18-05-2023

Stooky Bill Wrote:
Brekkie Wrote:Job done as far as Scott Mills is concerned - growing his own audience and matching the audience of Steve Wright, but with the desired younger demos.

It is a much better show now than when it started but still needs stronger format points IMO - something he had no trouble with on Radio 1. 

https://twitter.com/back_the_BBC/status/1658986685726638084 
I think he also could do with someone to bounce off more, he went from having a co-presenter to being solo. However that sort of thing happens organically and presumably would cost more. I imagine his show is a lot cheaper that Steve's was. 

It does go to show again though that generally people are more loyal to stations than presenters, I know Steve didn't go to another station but there hasn't been a mass slump in audience as some predicted. The same when Simon Mayo and Chris Evans left - they didn't take their big audience figures with them and Radio 2 didn't see a big drop. 

Whether the same happens with Ken Bruce we'll see in 3 months, I suspect it'll be a similar story.
To be fair Scott Mills was a solo presenter for many many years before he started bringing Chris Stark more into his show.

RE: Radio 2 - Jon - 18-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Moz Wrote:  
Stooky Bill Wrote:I think he also could do with someone to bounce off more, he went from having a co-presenter to being solo. However that sort of thing happens organically and presumably would cost more. I imagine his show is a lot cheaper that Steve's was. 

To be fair Scott Mills was a solo presenter for many many years before he started bringing Chris Stark more into his show.
Wasn’t Chappers (Mark Chapman) basically his co-host at one stage? Not sure if he relied on others at any time between them parting company and him forming an air bond with this Stark fellow.

RE: Radio 2 - Jon - 18-05-2023

Quote:Stooky Bill

Simon Mayo is a bit bland so not surprising in that regard, and it probably didn’t help they stuck him on a station with a widely different format. Because even if listeners were prepared to go with Mayo unless you were in a the small percentage of the audience who was prepared to swap pop for classical, you were never going to make switch. 

As for Chris Evans, the fact when he started he had a million listeners I think was mightily impressive and you’d imagine beyond the expectations of the Virgin. I think he couldn’t have taken anymore.

RE: Radio 2 - chris - 18-05-2023

The jingles have grown on me over the last few days, though Vine’s is a significant downgrade and the News could do with better timing so the jingle is audible in full (or lose the pre-rec presenters).

But honestly what were they thinking with that bland travel bed? That needs to be changed pronto!

RE: Radio 2 - Steve in Pudsey - 19-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 09:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Moz Wrote:  To be fair Scott Mills was a solo presenter for many many years before he started bringing Chris Stark more into his show.
Wasn’t Chappers (Mark Chapman) basically his co-host at one stage? Not sure if he relied on others at any time between them parting company and him forming an air bond with this Stark fellow.

And Laura and then Beccy, his assistant producers at various times

RE: Radio 2 - NI92 - 19-05-2023

(18-05-2023, 09:42 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(18-05-2023, 09:33 PM)Moz Wrote:  To be fair Scott Mills was a solo presenter for many many years before he started bringing Chris Stark more into his show.

They had Chris Moyles and his team in the morning and they did the same with Scott Mills and his team during Drive as others stated you had Laura, Becky & Chappers and we essentially co-hosts first then Chris started featuring as a mate of Scott and then became a fully fledged team member/co host in later years.