Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - thegeek - 19-08-2023

'phasey' is the word I'd go for.

It's fine on SD too, and the studio bits don't sound as bad as the VTs. My armchair engineer's verdict is that it's a problem with the 5.1 audio from the studio - perhaps the rear tracks are slightly delayed compared to the fronts.

On some platforms (eg Sky and Freeview), even if your STB is outputting stereo, you get a downmix of the 5.1. On others (apparently iPlayer and the SD channel) then you get the native stereo.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - IanJRedman - 19-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 10:50 PM)thegeek Wrote:  'phasey' is the word I'd go for.

It's fine on SD too, and the studio bits don't sound as bad as the VTs. My armchair engineer's verdict is that it's a problem with the 5.1 audio from the studio - perhaps the rear tracks are slightly delayed compared to the fronts.

On some platforms (eg Sky and Freeview), even if your STB is outputting stereo, you get a downmix of the 5.1. On others (apparently iPlayer and the SD channel) then you get the native stereo.

I think you've probably sussed it!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - IanJRedman - 19-08-2023

I think it's been fixed now? Unless I've just acclimatised to it!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 19-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 11:18 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I think it's been fixed now? Unless I've just acclimatised to it!

Just thought that too. Simon Brotherton sounding far clearer than his colleagues earlier.

Earlier I came across this article explaining the BBC Sport football rebrand a few years ago. Interesting to see that there was a full graphics package designed, using a font other than Reith, that I would argue would never make it to air because of the font and the (at the time) recently introduced graphics with Reith from 2017.

https://www.smorgasbordstudio.com/work/bbcfootball/ 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Scratch_Perry - 19-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 09:40 AM)Reith85 Wrote:  Surprised that BBC One isn't shifting its schedule tomorrow so that its World Cup final coverage can get started earlier, especially now that ITV have a 35 minute head start - very likely to impact on the ratings for the delayed BBC coverage.
Coverage on BBC One will now start at 9.45am, only 20 minutes after ITV.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 20-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 10:37 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I tried to find a BBC One West or BBC One England HD during the Liverpool v. Bournemouth highlights and I found silence.

BBC One HD on Freeview has had a sound (or lack of) issue ,at least in the West region, for some time.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - fusionlad - 20-08-2023

(20-08-2023, 12:10 AM)dvboy Wrote:  BBC One HD on Freeview has had a sound (or lack of) issue ,at least in the West region, for some time.

No sound on BBC One HD means you need to do a rescan. The new regionalised BBC One will work fine.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 20-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 11:21 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Earlier I came across this article explaining the BBC Sport football rebrand a few years ago. Interesting to see that there was a full graphics package designed, using a font other than Reith, that I would argue would never make it to air because of the font and the (at the time) recently introduced graphics with Reith from 2017.

https://www.smorgasbordstudio.com/work/bbcfootball/ 

Quite a bit to like there but understandable why many elements didn't go ahead, though I quite like relying on the ball logo more than the BBC logo, especially in the scorebar.   The tweaked Final Score layout looks good too.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 21-08-2023

Had it confirmed from producers that Sky Sports won't be showing all courts of the US Open qualifying, only one (mostly likely court 17 feed which is produced for ESPN)
Immediately a downgrade from Prime Video who had lots of complaints after they didn't show qualifying and all courts in their first year after Eurosport had done so before them.

Also, surprised that Sky aren't using their own original commentary on some of the classic matches this week from the time they definitely had the rights for (1991-2015).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 21-08-2023

The athletics seems to be running a bit late so unlikely the highglight of the night, the Womens 100m, will take place before the 9pm finish. Presumably BBC1 will just run a little late too, though with "World Athletics Extra" on BBC3 they'll be a knock on effect there too.

Will say again what a brilliant job Janette is doing - completely unnecessary to bring Gabby in later in the week to replace her. I think BBC1 should have gone all out Wimbledon style really on coverage this week and aired it from 7-9pm each night rather than airing it 90 minutes one night, an hour the next, two hours the next etc.