Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - excel99 - 21-08-2023

I'm afraid I'd have to disagree on both points. Jeanette Kwakye does a very good job, but Gabby Logan is very at ease presenting in a noisy stadium and is an 'A List' presenter/known face, which is particularly important when trying to attract a primetime BBC1 audience. Maybe the way things have worked out this year is ideal - Jeanette has had a primetime BBC1 opportunity, but Gabby will do most of the evening coverage

And I'm rather pleased BBC1 haven't gone 1900-2100 all week. Firstly as a devoted Eastenders fan who watches on linear and who watches athletics it's perfect for me. But secondly, and far more importantly, the 1900-2000 hour of athletics is mostly semi finals on the track and the early stages of field event finals - probably better to focus on the 'finals hour' 2000-2100 for a BBC1 audience. Tonight the 100m Semi's were probably enough to justify the 1930 BBC1 switch, but not many semi's could justify that. Wednesday is probably because BBC2 has CrIcket and Friday night is a quiet night for BBC1 anyway

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 09:19 PM)excel99 Wrote:  I'm afraid I'd have to disagree on both points. Jeanette Kwakye does a very good job, but Gabby Logan is very at ease presenting in a noisy stadium and is an 'A List' presenter/known face, which is particularly important when trying to attract a primetime BBC1 audience. Maybe the way things have worked out this year is ideal - Jeanette has had a primetime BBC1 opportunity, but Gabby will do most of the evening coverage

And I'm rather pleased BBC1 haven't gone 1900-2100 all week. Firstly as a devoted Eastenders fan who watches on linear and who watches athletics it's perfect for me. But secondly, and far more importantly, the 1900-2000 hour of athletics is mostly semi finals on the track and the early stages of field event finals - probably better to focus on the 'finals hour' 2000-2100 for a BBC1 audience. Tonight the 100m Semi's were probably enough to justify the 1930 BBC1 switch, but not many semi's could justify that. Wednesday is probably because BBC2 has CrIcket and Friday night is a quiet night for BBC1 anyway

They are very long days, and Jeanette has done the first three on her own, surely it makes sense to have two presenters anyway but obviously Gabby was committed elsewhere at the weekend.

Presumably if the cricket is rained off on Wednesday they will move the red button coverage over to BBC Two until 19:00.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 22-08-2023

Appears Sky are on the verge of picking up a three year renewal for Super League, with the new deal involving the live broadcast of all games.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3667/update-on-broadcast-rights 

(Very unusual btw for a league to make a public announcement like this when a deal isn’t yet done).

Some reports elsewhere that Super League are taking a cut in the rights fee - not sure how true that is.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NB Guy - 22-08-2023

https://www.mediaguru.cz/clanky/2023/08/sport-5-muze-prijit-o-licenci-udelal-proto-ocekavany-tah/  In the czech republic Sport 5 Has been Off Air for about a month (Since July 12) Peter Schreier, the executive director of Sport 5 Said it is a technical problem that indicates an interruption of the broadcast for a longer period of time. However, the operator does not justify what caused the situation and why it marks the situation as "complicated". But however Must of the operator have been removeing Sport 5 channel on their line up (Includes the removal of Their terrestrial broadcasting And also on Skylink As well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OwAbXVcV_k  This is the moment when Sport 5 temporaly off air it stopped in a middle of a teleshopping ad

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 22-08-2023

US Open qualifying world feed coverage bouncing around various courts, would be fine if there was an option on Sky Sports to choose other matches but there isn't.

Sky don't seem to be getting any indication of when to take an ad break, so they're taking them a points where the world feed isn't providing an opportunity for them, so they're cutting or re-joining commentary mid-sentence.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 22-08-2023

Can we also deduce from the fact the World Athletics is on location in Budapest that Paris 2024 will be on location as well.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 22-08-2023

Gabby Logan has arrived at Budapest for the athletics today. Jeanette Kwakye has been relegated/moved back to being trackside reporter, with Sarah Mulkerrins now joining the Radio 5 Live team.

I kind of agree with the previous comments on why they have bothered bringing Gabby to Budapest as Jeanette did a great job, and also got to host the first and possibly only British gold medal as well as the flagship events in the 100m finals. On the other hand, you can see why they would want one of their biggest presenters hosting coverage on primetime on BBC One, though Jeanette is more than capable as she has proved this week. It makes more sense than last year when Andrew Cotter missed the opening weekend due to The Open Championship, so Steve Cram coped fine with doing the first four/five days (last year started on a Friday) as the only lead commentator with Cotter flying across the Atlantic and the American continent for half of the event.

Interesting to see the Sarah Mulkerrins feature on her travelling to Budapest by train in an effort to be more sustainable. In an ideal world this is something you would certainly like to see more of for broadcasters and journalists travelling to events in Europe, Inevitably I feel that offtubing events would be a more profitable alternative than travelling by air, which is less ideal for the quality of coverage etc.

(22-08-2023, 06:20 PM)dvboy Wrote:  US Open qualifying world feed coverage bouncing around various courts, would be fine if there was an option on Sky Sports to choose other matches but there isn't.

Sky don't seem to be getting any indication of when to take an ad break, so they're taking them a points where the world feed isn't providing an opportunity for them, so they're cutting or re-joining commentary mid-sentence.

Inevitably I'm starting to see online complaints and disquiet about all of this. Amazon's coverage is/was cheaper and easier set-up for multi-court streaming so a bit of a test for Sky to keep the complaints on the ease of coverage for the next three weeks.

On the other hand, I think I've seen more adverts for this year's US Open watching Sky Sports programmes over the last few weeks than I ever saw for Amazon's coverage across the media in the build-up to the editions of the US Open they broadcasted. The move of most tennis coverage to Sky is definitely a retrograde step for any tennis fantic, but can certainly see a larger casual sports audience drawn in based on the level of promotion through Sky's network.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 22-08-2023

Sky Sports Arena has switched to the court 12 court feed to take Watson vs Yastremska from the start, and luckily for them Laura Robson is the co-commentator alongside the excellent Nick McCarvel.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 22-08-2023

(22-08-2023, 05:07 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Appears Sky are on the verge of picking up a three year renewal for Super League, with the new deal involving the live broadcast of all games.

https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3667/update-on-broadcast-rights 

(Very unusual btw for a league to make a public announcement like this when a deal isn’t yet done).

Some reports elsewhere that Super League are taking a cut in the rights fee - not sure how true that is.
So Sky get more for less. Whilst leagues moving towards broadcasting all matches seems inevitable you'd think Super League would be concious to protect their stadium attendances, though I think the nature of the sport means that fans wouldn't give up watching it in person to watch it on Sky.

(22-08-2023, 06:38 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Can we also deduce from the fact the World Athletics is on location in Budapest that Paris 2024 will be on location as well.
I think that was a given. Tokyo is the only summer Olympics since the 80s not to be anchored on location, and with Paris being as near as the games could be without being in the UK it would be ridiculous not to be based there. Probably easier to get staff from London to Paris than from London to Salford.

(22-08-2023, 06:51 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Gabby Logan has arrived at Budapest for the athletics today. Jeanette Kwakye has been relegated/moved back to being trackside reporter, with Sarah Mulkerrins now joining the Radio 5 Live team.

I kind of agree with the previous comments on why they have bothered bringing Gabby to Budapest as Jeanette did a great job, and also got to host the first and possibly only British gold medal as well as the flagship events in the 100m finals. On the other hand, you can see why they would want one of their biggest presenters hosting coverage on primetime on BBC One, though Jeanette is more than capable as she has proved this week.
I know I'm agreeing with you agreeing with me but I'd actually say Jeanette comes across as more knowledgeable in these circumstances too - viewers know Gabby's attentions have been elsewhere the last few weeks and whilst I suspect she's done a few mens tournaments then gone on to cover an athletics tournament a few days later it just doesn't quite sit well.

I guess they've the Olympics in mind but even if Gabby remained on the athletics next year, which presumably she will, I think Jeanette getting the gig this year would be fine and build up her profile to give her a presenting slot on the games next year if she isn't doing the athletics herself - although as I've said before for me I think Gabby would be more useful in a general presenting role rather than limited to the second week of athletics with virtually no studio shifts. I would hope that if they can have Clare on location at the swimming for the first week they have Gabby anchoring the evening shift from the studio, then they basically switch roles when the athletics begins.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - IanJRedman - 22-08-2023

Seemingly no UHD for next year's Euros.

https://www.techradar.com/streaming/entertainment/euro-2024-scores-a-huge-own-goal-by-lacking-4k-tv-broadcasts