Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 23-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 05:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  Bizarrely there is no BBC DOG part of the standard BBC Sport scoreboard. Despite the channel having a DOG I thought it was usually present as well.
There was a BBC DOG on their coverage last Thursday so not sure what has changed. There is some instances (the rugby league Challenge Cup coverage comes to mind) where the BBC DOG animates slightly seperately as the scoreboard itself is the world feed graphics and so the BBC logo only appears on the domestic feed. Even odder here is that the scoreboard is more left than normal, taking the BBC logo's place in the extreme top left.

(23-08-2023, 07:41 PM)excel99 Wrote:  As much as I hope she gets back to winning long jump medals, Jazmin Sawyers has fitted straight into the BBC athletics commentary box tonight - sounds very comfortable co-commentating on the Pole Vault

100% agree, it was great to have her insights on the men's long jump qualification this morning as well! Obviously this is not the first she has been on TV - she had an appearance on The Voice and I think has done VTs or reported from along the London Marathon in previous years.
Same goes for Jake Wightman in the studio, watching the event he is the defneding champion in for the next few minutes at least.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - bkman1990 - 23-08-2023

The Irish coverage of Molde v Galatasary was on Virgin Media Three tonight for a change.

The World Athletics Championships was still continuing it's coverage on Virgin Media Two until it finished at 9pm tonight.

Was VM2 using the bigger studio for their coverage of the Athletics tonight? The CL qualifier on VM3 was using the smaller studio setup.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 23-08-2023

Didn’t see. But it does bring up the fact that the continued central contracting of the play-off round is looking more and more anomalous - with only 12 teams in it and no clubs from the biggest countries now it is something tv companies are mostly fulfilling as a contractual obligation. RTE gave a 15 minute slot for build up last night (and that was with Rangers v PSV, probably the pick of a not terribly attractive bunch of ties). I don’t think it gets much better under the new format next year either.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - leewilliams - 23-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 11:08 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  And the Eurosport coverage, Radzi Chinyanganya is presenting onsite from the mixed zone. On commentary is Martin Gillingham (more often a rugby commentator rather than on athletics, but is former Olympic 400m hurlder) with former Paralympic medallist Stef Reid (I think) and another male lead commentator I don't recognise.
Believe it’s Richard Newman - who’s mainly a football journalist (not sure he’s ever done athletics before so to have him calling half the events seems a bold move by Eurosport).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 24-08-2023

Sky Sports caught off guard this afternoon, with the US Open qualifying starting an hour early at 15:00 BST, they crashed in at 16:00.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 24-08-2023

The channel changes between BBC One and BBC Two for the athletics are naturally as annoying as they usually are. One of the three men's 800m semi-finals wasn't shown live just now because it occured during the switch (not sure if it was shown on the 'uninterrupted feed' on iPlayer but that has had a coming up slide during channel changes earlier in the week). It does seem to be working in terms of ratings though.

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1694318910642815197?s=20 

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1694703235800412665?s=20 

It's getting very much like the Olympics with all the channel changes and athletes also beginning to thank the National Lottery.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - lookoutwales - 24-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 10:49 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Believe it’s Richard Newman - who’s mainly a football journalist (not sure he’s ever done athletics before so to have him calling half the events seems a bold move by Eurosport).

I more associate him with his radio work - he’s been freelance for a few years now (heard him doing news bulletin shifts on 5 Live and TalkSport more recently)

He was sports editor for Sky News Radio (IRN) for a long time, too - often heard him covering the Olympics, Paralympics and Wimbledon as a reporter.

Don’t recall him in a commentary role (asides when he’s done Premier League games for IRN)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 24-08-2023

Not the greatest view from the BBC Scotland studio at Hearts v. PAOK; you can just about see the opposite stand's roof, but mainly the backs of spectators on the way out.

The BBC DOG missing once again on the scoreboard.

(23-08-2023, 10:24 PM)Rdd Wrote:  Didn’t see. But it does bring up the fact that the continued central contracting of the play-off round is looking more and more anomalous - with only 12 teams in it and no clubs from the biggest countries now it is something tv companies are mostly fulfilling as a contractual obligation. RTE gave a 15 minute slot for build up last night (and that was with Rangers v PSV, probably the pick of a not terribly attractive bunch of ties). I don’t think it gets much better under the new format next year either.

It really should have been ditched a few rights cycles ago after the top four leagues fourth placed side got automatic qualification into the group stages. It's even more odd that it's part of the central contract when the same is not the case in the UEL and UECL.

As for next year, I dread to think how bad the qualifying system will be after trying to understand the format of the main competition on a number of occasions. It will probably start in January and feature ties over three legs to rival the absurdity of the new 'Swiss-style' format.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Transmission - 24-08-2023

(23-08-2023, 05:47 PM)Jon Wrote:  Bizarrely there is no BBC DOG part of the standard BBC Sport scoreboard. Despite the channel having a DOG I thought it was usually present as well.
Just a complete guess but these qualifying rounds have seen a variety of different graphics as everyone gets whatever is provided by the host broadcasters across Europe, so I wonder if there's some sort of stipulation from UEFA - use whatever graphics you want but don't put your logo all over it.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 24-08-2023

(24-08-2023, 08:12 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The channel changes between BBC One and BBC Two for the athletics are naturally as annoying as they usually are. One of the three men's 800m semi-finals wasn't shown live just now because it occured during the switch (not sure if it was shown on the 'uninterrupted feed' on iPlayer but that has had a coming up slide during channel changes earlier in the week). It does seem to be working in terms of ratings though.

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1694318910642815197?s=20 

https://twitter.com/LiamHamilton16/status/1694703235800412665?s=20 

It's getting very much like the Olympics with all the channel changes and athletes also beginning to thank the National Lottery.
I think they've handled them quite well - just think they should have kept it to 7pm each day and gone all in.