Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: Gibsy - fusionlad - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 05:44 PM)Gibsy Wrote:  Watching one of the US Open court streams via SkyQ…does anyone know how to go full screen. A third of my screen is taken up with players rankings that I can’t seem to get rid of.

Press the backup button [arrow pointing to the left] to the left of the home button.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 28-08-2023

So far, so good from what I've seen of Sky Sports' coverage of the US Open.
The studio looks as good as it did for Monday Night Football. Gigi Salmon so far has been a great host, alongside Tim Henman and Martina Navratilova. I'm still liking the Sky Sports graphics less and less, but they have made a decent go at them with a nice touch of a white line reminiscent of a service line alongside the side. The build-up hour was very good, I think the first 25 minutes without an ad break is the longest Sky Sports has gone without sporting action or ads in a long while. So far only Jonathan Overend has appeared as a Sky lead commentator, with a lot of world feed commentary being taken. This is not necessarily a bad thing, with the world feed commentary a good quality, and featuring many voices familiar to a British audience, such as Nick Lester and Laura Robson who were heard on the Iga Swiatek match on Sky Sports Tennis/Main Event.

If I do have to nitpick, I would prefer if either the desk or the sofa used on MNF was brought into the studio because I'm not a fan of the studio team standing around and the studio can look a bit bare and too big. There has been a lot of DTL sections to New York which has disrupted the flow of the studio a bit, but I think I read that Gigi et al. will be onsite for the second week.

I do like the world feed scoreboard, but the other graphics are way too big despite often having less information (such as flags, macth/set lengths) that their counterparts at the other slams show despite being smaller.

Most of the complaints I've seen online are from people struggling to find the bonus streams - so most issues seem to be on the users end rather than problems on Sky's end.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - fusionlad - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 08:34 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Most of the complaints I've seen online are from people struggling to find the bonus streams - so most issues seem to be on the users end rather than problems on Sky's end.

Yea it's very odd. It seems you have to press 'backup' once you've pressed the red button and are in the 'app'.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 08:40 PM)fusionlad Wrote:  Yea it's very odd. It seems you have to press 'backup' once you've pressed the red button and are in the 'app'.

That seems to be the issue on Sky Q.

Some people seemed to expect them on Sky+ which doesn't support streaming channels.

On Virgin Media they are all on linear channels 561 and upwards (HD only)

On Now TV, lots of people annoyed they aren't available on certain devices, which has always been the case but it seems the Now TV developers made them visible on a dedicated page to all devices, on some of which they actually worked (my iPad for example), and they've since removed this. https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-features 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 28-08-2023

They don’t seem to be available on Now in Ireland. Not sure why that’s the case.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 09:47 PM)Rdd Wrote:  They don’t seem to be available on Now in Ireland. Not sure why that’s the case.

Tried to access the Ireland help pages but they just redirect to the UK ones
Is there anything about bonus streams in there?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 10:05 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Tried to access the Ireland help pages but they just redirect to the UK ones
Is there anything about bonus streams in there?

Its the opposite for me, the UK pages redirect to the Irish ones, and no there’s no mention there. I can’t think there’s a rights issue here since there’s no other rights holder.

Forgot to mention earlier that tomorrow's coverage on Sky Sports Arena is being simulcast on Sky Showcase, and will feature Andy Murray's match against Corentin Moutet.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 29-08-2023

Picture quality from Louis Armstrong Stadium has been poor the last few days, like the sharpness is turned right up or something,

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 29-08-2023

Sky using the world feed on an Andy Murray match is quite a choice.

I have been surprised at how much the linear Sky channels have used the world feed. It's understandable in a way as many of the commentaries feature British voices and all are onsite, but it can be viewed as cheap and as if Sky are not fully trying. I think there's been three commentaries from Jonathan Overend and one today from Pete Odgers - and all but one of those commentaries have been on British matches without world feed commentary available.