Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 08:27 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Well that news is a very big blow for Channel 4.

I wonder what will happen to their own team of analysts and presenters for this current deal of matches. I would assume that ITV will still use their existing team of football analysts for their new rights deal for these matches. Jules Breech would still be with ITV to present the Carabao Cup highlights for ITV as she still does it on some weekends.
Nowadays no channel really has a team - pundits and presenters just go where the rights are, whether that's free to air, pay TV or steaming.   Many of ITV's Rugby World Cup team have spent the summer at Amazon and were with the BBC rather than ITV for the Six Nations.

What will be interesting though is whether ITV look towards Laura Woods rather than Mark Pougatch to front the England's mens matches.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 08:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nowadays no channel really has a team - pundits and presenters just go where the rights are, whether that's free to air, pay TV or steaming.   Many of ITV's Rugby World Cup team have spent the summer at Amazon and were with the BBC rather than ITV for the Six Nations.
What will be interesting though is whether ITV look towards Laura Woods rather than Mark Pougatch to front the England's mens matches.

Is Laura Woods association (maybe outside of major tournaments) done with ITV as Seema Jaswal is listed to host the England Women's match this weekend, your quite right about the freelance thing as Ugo Monye, John Barclay & Sam Warburton seemed to be on Rugby Special for the BBC and all on ITV for this tournament.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 18-09-2023

Its similar with the Super League coverage on Channel 4 - most of the pundits they use on that also either appear on the Super League coverage on Sky or the Challenge Cup coverage on BBC

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Gary McEwan - 18-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 08:27 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Well that news is a very big blow for Channel 4.

I wonder what will happen to their own team of analysts and presenters for this current deal of matches. I would assume that ITV will still use their existing team of football analysts for their new rights deal for these matches. Jules Breech would still be with ITV to present the Carabao Cup highlights for ITV as she still does it on some weekends.

Jules Breech I would imagine will no doubt pick up the some of the Champions League work on CBS as well (which is actually better coverage than we've got in the UK).  She frequently stands in for Kate Abdo when she's not available.

(18-09-2023, 08:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Nowadays no channel really has a team - pundits and presenters just go where the rights are, whether that's free to air, pay TV or steaming.   Many of ITV's Rugby World Cup team have spent the summer at Amazon and were with the BBC rather than ITV for the Six Nations.

I wouldn't say that's true in all cases.  Take the Champions League coverage on CBS, they've all been contracted again for the next few seasons.  Kate Abdo has just signed a new 4 year contract with them to front the coverage and I would imagine the 3 pundits would be the same.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Transmission - 18-09-2023

Erm, I think Jules is already a bit busy on Champions League nights with TNT!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - eyeTV - 18-09-2023

It was a bit strange Channel 4 getting the rights for England games for only 2 years. Aren't they normally sold on a 4 year cycle?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 19-09-2023

(18-09-2023, 11:27 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  It was a bit strange Channel 4 getting the rights for England games for only 2 years. Aren't they normally sold on a 4 year cycle?
Well the non-England rights were for six years with England being the exception.   A shorter deal perhaps suggests UEFA weren't happy with the offers for the full term so they put a short term deal to the market hoping they'd be more interest a couple of years later.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Ste - 19-09-2023

BeIN Sports France unable to show Young Boys vs RB Leipzig due to Young Boys' sponsor (500Plus) being against French advertising rules.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 19-09-2023

I’m really surprised that should only come up now. What about Heineken’s sponsorship of the EPCR Champions Cup? Yes it was removed/modified for matches actually taking place in France but surely this would have meant matches being held elsewhere couldn’t have been shown on French TV?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Ste - 19-09-2023

(19-09-2023, 09:26 PM)Rdd Wrote:  I’m really surprised that should only come up now. What about Heineken’s sponsorship of the EPCR Champions Cup? Yes it was removed/modified for matches actually taking place in France but surely this would have meant matches being held elsewhere couldn’t have been shown on French TV?

Some more background here (sorry for DM link) - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11679307/Monaco-games-banned-broadcast-France-advertising-regulations.html 

A competitor of Plus500 complained and took court action about it and "It finally ended in 2021 with the administrative judge declaring in their decision: 'The advertisement for the investment provider Plus500, visible in the form of the flocking of the players' jerseys and broadcast to French viewers, was indeed an advertisement for risky and legal financial contracts, banned by the Consumer Code".