Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 20-12-2023

How long have the current Sky Sports graphics been around - is it since the rebrand into genre based channels? It must be one of their longest looks - didn't they used to refresh basically every Premier League cycle, but like most of TV now if it's good enough for a year it's good enough for a decade.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 20-12-2023

(19-12-2023, 11:06 PM)Rdd Wrote:  I don’t think it’s new and it’s definitely not the same as the darts but the EFL Cup graphics, which used to be the same shade of red as the EFL, are now a much darker colour, almost but not quite black.

I think the EFL Cup graphics changed with last season's final. That was also the first time it used the Premier League style scoreboard with logos rather than three letter codes (though that did return for the earlier rounds of this season).

Not sure why night blue (apart from it kind of matches the titles night-like background). Green and white are the competition's colours, and as before, red is the Sky Sports Football channel brand colour.

(20-12-2023, 09:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  How long have the current Sky Sports graphics been around - is it since the rebrand into genre based channels? It must be one of their longest looks - didn't they used to refresh basically every Premier League cycle, but like most of TV now if it's good enough for a year it's good enough for a decade.

Yep, exactly that. So, since the summer of 2017. That's so long ago the preview images below feature Lionel Messi in La Liga and ATP Tennis (which has left Sky and returned in that time). They even survived the mini rebrand/new logo of 2020/21. I was never the biggest fan of them at the start, and they haven't grown on me, but they haven't aged particularly badly methinks.

https://www.itsnicethat.com/news/sky-sports-rebrand-nomad-sky-creative-180717 

First time for UK viewers tonight to experience the new Bundesliga inovation for this season: the Goal Arena konferenz show. This will show all the action from the five 19:30 GMT kickoffs. As with most shows of this type, quite enjoyable and action packed from what I've seen of it this season.

https://www.youtube.com/live/pNb1r2bWp1E?si=y37GUH5oRorRJ6nF 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 20-12-2023

(20-12-2023, 09:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  How long have the current Sky Sports graphics been around - is it since the rebrand into genre based channels? It must be one of their longest looks - didn't they used to refresh basically every Premier League cycle, but like most of TV now if it's good enough for a year it's good enough for a decade.

They’re not quite the same graphics unveiled in July 2017, they’ve had a bit of an evolution (not quite a total revamp) since, with as you say that new scorebar with logos, new team sheet graphics, and some other changes, including some more use of the custom channel fonts that were brought in during that big revamp. I can’t remember when that was done, it may have been around 2021, I’m not sure, and there was a phased introduction across different sports. But yeah, July 2017 was the last big overhaul for Sky Sports.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 20-12-2023

Must say I though the genre channels had been around a bit longer. Any news yet on when Sky Sports Tennis launches as the new season pretty much kicks in straight after Christmas.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 20-12-2023

Phil Clarke is to step down from Sky Sports' Super League Rugby coverage

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JamieMurph25 - 20-12-2023

(20-12-2023, 01:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Must say I though the genre channels had been around a bit longer.  Any news yet on when Sky Sports Tennis launches as the new season pretty much kicks in straight after Christmas.
I know that NBC News Now recently closed on all Sky platforms (satellite and IPTV) and E! about to close, probably the reason it needs the spectrum for the launch.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 20-12-2023

(20-12-2023, 01:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Must say I though the genre channels had been around a bit longer. Any news yet on when Sky Sports Tennis launches as the new season pretty much kicks in straight after Christmas.

In time for Indian Wells in early March. In the meantime most coverage will be on Sky Sports Arena.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - AJB39 - 20-12-2023

(20-12-2023, 07:11 PM)dvboy Wrote:  In time for Indian Wells in early March. In the meantime most coverage will be on Sky Sports Arena.
Sky Sports have published details of their Tennis coverage for January on their website. They will be showing coverage of the build-up tournaments for the Australian Open in Brisbane, Adelaide, Auckland and Hobart. The Adelaide tournament was previously shown on Eurosport.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/tennis-on-sky 

With the ATP 250s now included in the Sky deal not many opportunities for Eurosport to pick up rights outside of the grand slams other than exhibition events - they seem to have lost interest in the Davis/Fed Cup too, and no wonder considering the changes to the format in recent years. There is the United Cup mixed team event in Australia prior to the Australian Open - that's a combined ATP/WTA effort but not sure if it is sold with the tour.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 20-12-2023

(20-12-2023, 08:57 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  With the ATP 250s now included in the Sky deal not many opportunities for Eurosport to pick up rights outside of the grand slams other than exhibition events - they seem to have lost interest in the Davis/Fed Cup too, and no wonder considering the changes to the format in recent years. There is the United Cup mixed team event in Australia prior to the Australian Open - that's a combined ATP/WTA effort but not sure if it is sold with the tour.

Eurosport have ATP Tour rights in other countries. It was very rare in recent years that they would pick them up for the UK. Most likely the few ones they had they let expire.

Davis and Billie Jean King Cup coverage is on Tennis Channel International these days, that's where you'll find the upcoming United Cup also. Add in some junior events and several exhibitions. Not bad for £2.49/month but some months the content will be sparse.