Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - lookoutwales - 04-01-2024

Probably needs some verifying but one or two people quoted a figure of around eight million for when Keith Deller beat Eric Bristow to win the 1983 BDO title.

Quite a lot of parallels with the run up to this final, when you think about it (Deller had just turned 23)

Might have been even higher for one or two finals - the early 80s seemed to represent the peak of interest.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Medianext.MX - 05-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 10:41 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Following on from the Commonwealth Games losing its 2026 host last year, another major multi-sport event has had its future put in doubt with Barranquilla withdrawing as the host of the 2027 Pan-American Games.

I'm from outside the regions which are part of the PanAm Games, but it does feel like a rather minor or forgotten event. Gymnastics and rugby sevens aside, I can't remember seeing any mention of any big name athletes or those that I follow competing in Santiago last autumn.

https://x.com/duncan_itg/status/1742652937325654354?s=20 

In sorts, the PanAm Games is rather minor outside of the Americas, but in the continent it is still a very significant event given most of the events serve as qualifiers for the Olympics. Nevertheless, it has a lesser known following compared to the Olympics, particularly in a continent where football and American sports are very much the dominant sports there. For the host countries and cities, the Games are designed to provide a sporting legacy to the population, and there is a significant amount of events that were at nearly full capacity and television coverage of the event is often very complete.

In Santiago, for example, nearly every major local TV channel aired events, with TVN (Televisión Nacional de Chile) serving as official broadcaster in partnership with Mediapro (host broadcaster). Both in turn redistributed the rights to Chilevisión (owned by Paramount), Canal 13, UChile TV (digital channel owned by the University of Chile), plus cable networks TNT Sports Chile, DSports Chile (owned by Vrio, which operates the DIRECTV service in South America) and the Chilean Olympic Channel.

Particularly for a niche event, viewer figures were high, and these continued during the Para Pan American Games which followed:

https://www.tvenserio.com/2023/11/06/el-podio-de-las-transmisiones-de-los-panamericanos-fue-encabezado-por-chilevision/ 
https://www.tvenserio.com/2023/11/27/chilevision-lidera-las-transmisiones-de-los-juegos-parapanamericanos/ 

Although many broadcasters do not offer or provide the same level of coverage, many sports channels do provide some coverage, such as edited highlights and selected live events. Many major sports broadcasters were onboard, including CBC in Canada, fuboTV in the US and CazéTV in Brazil (a streaming-oriented sports service administered by popular vlogger Casemiro and operated by LiveMode, a sporting rights agency focused on digital entertainment environments). At the last minute América Móvil (the company of telecom mogul Carlos Slim) also got a rights deal and distributed the Games region-wide through its Claro Sports operation. In many of these countries and also globally, the PanAm Sports Channel also provided more throughout coverage (9 channels in both English and Spanish), with the Olympic Channel, FEI TV and even Red Bull TV also carrying selected events (either globally or in specific markets).

https://santiago2023.org/en/noticias/sport-agency/detalle/1923/this-is-how-the-santiago-2023-games-will-be-watched-in-the-americas-and-the-world 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 05-01-2024

ITV have issued a statement in response to comment made by Joey Barton about their FA Cup coverage last night.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDGEQJKXIAANM5V?format=jpg&name=900x900 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 05-01-2024

I'm not sure I would have even given him the satisfaction of passing comment but ITV had no choice really.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 06-01-2024

For some reason Football Focus airs at 11:30-12:15 this Saturday rather than the standard 12:00-13:00 slot. I can't think of any reason why apart from not wanting to clash with the early FA Cup kick-offs, though clashing with live FTA football hasn't been an issue before (I think it clashed with an England game in the Women's World Cup on ITV last summer) and the FA Cup is on ITV anyway. There doesn't look like there is anything special on BBC One that necessitates a move - Bargain Hunt, Planet Earth III and a film are between the early finish and Final Score.

I think ITV got what the deserved for picking Crystal Palace v. Everton and Tottenham v. Burnley - two rather dull and uneventful all Premier League ties that looked like wasted picks when they were announced. At least Palace, Everton and Spurs (and to a lesser extent Burnley) were close to full strength and both stadia were almost full.

A note on the FA Cup, it is believed this will be the final season with replays in the 3rd and 4th rounds, with the time needed to bloat UEFA's ego and bank balance instead. This presumably will have some schedule considerations with extra time lpotentially eating into Saturday and Sunday primetime on BBC One an/or ITV 1. I'm a bit mixed on this development: on one hand it is a shame that another traditional element is being lost for financial reasons; though, on the other it will be nice to have ties decided on the day and it theoretically lends itself to more shocks (it doesn't require the minnow to replicate their good performance if they only get a draw).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 06-01-2024

Four extra midweeks are required for the Champions League next season (two extra league stage weeks in January and two in February for the extra knock out round). I really don’t know how there’ll be room for teams in Europe to also play in the EFL Cup, I know in principle the dates don’t clash but there has to be a question of the amount of game time expected at the stage.

Now here’s a trivia question I’ve been racking my brain about - the PGA Tour is back this week, and it strikes me that the US Golf opening titles must now be the single longest in use piece of Sky Sports presentation (maybe apart from their use of Carpe Diem in rugby league). How long has it been in use? I think it dates back to the late 2000s at this juncture!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 06-01-2024

Presumably two of the extra four weeks will be found by all teams playing in the same week in the last 16 rather than them currently being split across two weeks.

Losing replays shouldn't even be a consideration really, especially as it's only a handful of teams the European structure affects. If the've not got time to play the replay they can forfeit it, and they all generally have squads big enough to put two completely different teams out anyway.

I think the season usually works out around 38 weeks, so once you take out Premier League games that's 38 fixture dates to play with. Up to 17 for Europe, and 8 removed for internationals - so that leaves 13 for domestic cup comps, up to 5 of which would be for the League Cup. So we then have 8 for the FA Cup, which without replays through to the final would be 6 dates and two for replays, which in theory is enough for the 3rd/4th round to have replays.

I do think UEFA are getting cold feet about the Swiss League format and have already been reports they're looking at keeping some form of group stage. I've said ever since it was announced that rather than playing 8 random teams out of 36 that having 4 groups of 9 with 4 home and 4 away fixture would make more sense (but would need to be played over 9 weeks rather than 8).

Of course for many years UEFA had the extra last 16 group stage anyway so back then there were 17 weeks of fixtures anyway, so this is just a return to that.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 06-01-2024

You’re right, that’s exactly the case - the Round 16 is indeed played over two weeks instead of four (out of five) weeks. Under the present timings the Round of 16 must have the most drawn out single stage of any knockout tournament, so good to see that getting condensed.

A professional club in England, qualified for Europe, will have a minimum of 38 league, 1 FA Cup, one EFL Cup, and eight CL matches - 48 guaranteed competitive games. Making it all the way in tournaments could see them play another 5 FA Cup, 5 EFL Cup, 9 CL (if they are unlucky enough to end up in the knock out play off round and then go on to win the whole thing) and potentially the Super Cup and Community Shield - a total of a potential 69 competitive matches. Of course that’s an extreme case but not implausible for the Liverpools or Man Citys of the world.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 06-01-2024

And funnily enough the Man Citys and Liverpools of the world don't moan about fixture congestions when it comes to pre-season and playing matches two matches in three days, sometimes on different continents.

The irony of course is it is the domestic cup competitions that do build in some natural breaks into the season - obviously not for the teams that go all the way, but strip out the replays and you strip out a couple of weeks potentially without midweek fixtures.

BTW, is the Premier League mid-season break still a thing where they play one round of fixtures over two weeks, in February I think?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Transmission - 06-01-2024

(06-01-2024, 12:58 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  BTW, is the Premier League mid-season break still a thing where they play one round of fixtures over two weeks, in February I think?

Yes, this season it's January, the next round of fixtures actually over the next two weekends. All games televised with Sky Sports getting their usual picks for a weekend spread between the two and TNT getting everything else.