Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Jon - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 01:16 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Makes sense as the studio wouldn't be able to see any feeds so would be a bit redundant.
That’s a pretty rubbish excuse. Since I don’t think the viewers care whether it’s someone in the studio telling them what’s going on or someone at the ground.

I think it’s the simple fact they value the greater interest the Premier League has, that is more likely behind the decision.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 01:39 PM)Jon Wrote:  That’s a pretty rubbish excuse. Since I don’t think the viewers care whether it’s someone in the studio telling them what’s going on or someone at the ground.

I think it’s the simple fact they value the greater interest the Premier League has, that is more likely behind the decision.

You still get that with that 5 Live Final Score programme, which will be using many of the same reporters and have the same graphics on screen. The studio pundits wouldn't be able to add anything because they can't see any action, so firing up a studio and paying some additional reporters and a presenter for a more basic TV Final Score seems like a waste of money and resources for me. The only differences will be no BBC One coverage (the BBC wouldn't bee too concerned with their prioritising of iPlayer) and no classified results just after 5pm.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - SuperSajuuk - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 03:44 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Dennis Taylor has been absent this week, though John Virgo has done his first Masters in quite a few years. It was the other way at the UK Championships. It looks that both do 2/3 of the BBC tournaments now, following their un-sacking last year (I think Dennis did all three last season).
Yes, this is something that Dennis and JV agreed to personally do going forward (after their unsacking iirc): they will always do the World Champs together, but they alternate the UK and Masters. This season it was Dennis for UK and JV for Masters, so next season it'll be the inverse, and so on, until they retire. At least this way, JV knows he's in the UK a lot in 2024 and doesn't need to come over until the 2025 Worlds, which is a pretty fair thing to do at their ages.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 02:02 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  You still get that with that 5 Live Final Score programme, which will be using many of the same reporters and have the same graphics on screen. The studio pundits wouldn't be able to add anything because they can't see any action, so firing up a studio and paying some additional reporters and a presenter for a more basic TV Final Score seems like a waste of money and resources for me. The only differences will be no BBC One coverage (the BBC wouldn't bee too concerned with their prioritising of iPlayer) and no classified results just after 5pm.

If they're reporting for 5 Live though they might as well report for BBC1. I get not doing the full programme but they could surely do the BBC1 portion, which would likely begin with a report on the early Premier League kick-off anyway.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 03:44 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Seema Jaswal starting the week on primetime ITV (The FA Cup draw) and ending it on primetime BBC. Shaun Murphy was tonight's pundit and on air at close to 00:30 despite him having to play at 13:00 today.
I'm still not sure how to judge active players being pundits/commentators on tournaments they are playing in; on one hand, I'd rather them concentrate on their playing and preperations, but on the other it adds a different perspective and more recent experience to the coverage, which should be a positive. It hasn't done any harm to the two player-pundits this week as they have both made the semi-finals

On Seema she presented the FA Cup draw last Monday evening on ITV then presented the snooker highlights after Newsnight on BBC Two

As for snooker pundits the BBC is damned if they do or don't, they got complaints a few years ago from Judd Trump himself they had no current players then they got the likes of Trump himself, Kyren Wilson & Jack Lisowski involved in the World Championship. Most of those names are still involved but they don't commentate until they go out of the tournament. Mark Allen did some matches early in the week on the Masters but he wasn't due to start until Wednesday and as for Murphy he seems to be the only one involved the whole way through and he seemed to replace Alan McManus when he went exclusively to Eurosport. Hendry has said on his excellent cue tips channel he doesn't know how Murphy does it where he can commentate in the morning at the Crucible and play in the evening. He made the point Murphys recent TV tournament wins were on ITV when he hasn't been commentating.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 13-01-2024

It does seem odd but if they are a player who likes to study the competition and they can get paid for it as well they might as well get paid for watching the matches.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 03:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  If they're reporting for 5 Live though they might as well report for BBC1. I get not doing the full programme but they could surely do the BBC1 portion, which would likely begin with a report on the early Premier League kick-off anyway.

They could put the Red Button broadcast on BBC One/Two, yes. It wouldn't be the first time this week that a Radio 5 Live show was broadcast on the main channels...
But, for better or for worse, the attitude seems to be that all BBC Sport programming on One, Two, Three and Four, must have proper studio presentation, with plenty of stuff that could fill daytime BBC Two or primetime BBC Three being shown online only without any extra effort required.

They might have got away with it if the snooker coverage had taken the slot as scheduled, but it will look a little silly that there will be emergency repeats between 16:30-17:30.

(13-01-2024, 03:52 PM)NI92 Wrote:  On Seema she presented the FA Cup draw last Monday evening on ITV then presented the snooker highlights after Newsnight on BBC Two

Where are the ITV draws filmed? Most of London will be with in a two hour tube journey of Alexandra Palace I guess, but surprised they didn't use Rob Walker or Steve Davis or John Parrott like they have done in the past when they were short.

(13-01-2024, 03:52 PM)NI92 Wrote:  As for snooker pundits the BBC is damned if they do or don't, they got complaints a few years ago from Judd Trump himself they had no current players then they got the likes of Trump himself, Kyren Wilson & Jack Lisowski involved in the World Championship. Most of those names are still involved but they don't commentate until they go out of the tournament. Mark Allen did some matches early in the week on the Masters but he wasn't due to start until Wednesday and as for Murphy he seems to be the only one involved the whole way through and he seemed to replace Alan McManus when he went exclusively to Eurosport. Hendry has said on his excellent cue tips channel he doesn't know how Murphy does it where he can commentate in the morning at the Crucible and play in the evening. He made the point Murphys recent TV tournament wins were on ITV when he hasn't been commentating.

It is difficult with such a small pool of recent talent in snooker to get a team of good pundits with up-to-date and relevant knowledge etc. Even Stephen Hendry is over a decade since he was competing for major titles, and he is probably the youngest A-team figure on BBC's and ITV's rosters.

It reminds of a sexist complaint last year of Naomi Schiff being on the Sky F1 team, with the complainant saying they should only have world champions. The amount of eorld champions that are well enough and heve not been on Sky must be in single figures, and even the available ex-F1 drivers who are English first-language must been very small (hence their first choice co-comm has been retired for 35ish years for example).

The story at Reading this afternoon would have given Final Score much to discuss.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - SuperSajuuk - 13-01-2024

(13-01-2024, 05:22 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  It is difficult with such a small pool of recent talent in snooker to get a team of good pundits with up-to-date and relevant knowledge etc. Even Stephen Hendry is over a decade since he was competing for major titles, and he is probably the youngest A-team figure on BBC's and ITV's rosters.

It reminds of a sexist complaint last year of Naomi Schiff being on the Sky F1 team, with the complainant saying they should only have world champions. The amount of eorld champions that are well enough and heve not been on Sky must be in single figures, and even the available ex-F1 drivers who are English first-language must been very small (hence their first choice co-comm has been retired for 35ish years for example).

One of the problems the BBC have is that they seem to, for the most part, only focus on those who've won the world championship, or had notable success in the Triple Crown events (ie reaching the final of one or more of them at least once or twice). This means that they have a pretty limited pool of people to ask for doing punditry/commentary, which is fair enough for their events, but does limit them a lot in who will get involved.

I don't think its helped much when Eurosport keep driving their marketing slogan of "the home of snooker" everywhere, so most current players just think the BBC is irrelevant to the coverage, and thus don't try to get involved with anything they cover. It would be nice to see more current players swapping the cue for the microphone, but I'm of the opinion they should only do that once they've exited a tournament (unless they have a long wait to "start" their match, as happens with Round 1 of the TC events)