Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 27-01-2024

I wholeheartedly agree with the above and can only echo what I said earlier in the week about today's commentary. Jo Durie also excellent, though that always is the case.

I don't want to speculate too much, but Chris Bradnam and Miles Maclagan haven't appeared since the Hurkacz v. Medevedev quarter-final on Wednesday. It's quite possible they are in isolation or something since working together then. That would explain the sudden promotion of Naomi and the Simon Reed solo commentary yesterday.

Also, I haven't seen much of the studio coverage, but I thought Rachel Stringer has done well. An upgrade on Alizé Lim for sure, though I think I still prefer Barbara Schett as anchor (though understandable that she is in Australia alongside her Australian husband for this event).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - TMD_24 - 27-01-2024

(26-01-2024, 09:24 AM)thegeek Wrote:  I've heard that part of the problem is studio availability - the two big green screen studios at Stockley are temporarily out of action, and the Cube is in use for the Aussie Open. The Champions Cup rugby over the last couple of weekends came from another of WBD's studios in *checks notes* Warsaw, which I guess is a bit harder to organise at short notice.

And now The Telegraph is reporting that the studio team for the second test will be based in Sweden!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2024/01/27/tnt-sports-alastair-cook-steve-finn-sweden-india-coverage/ 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 27-01-2024

(27-01-2024, 12:26 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I wholeheartedly agree with the above and can only echo what I said earlier in the week about today's commentary. Jo Durie also excellent, though that always is the case.

I don't want to speculate too much, but Chris Bradnam and Miles Maclagan haven't appeared since the Hurkacz v. Medevedev quarter-final on Wednesday. It's quite possible they are in isolation or something since working together then. That would explain the sudden promotion of Naomi and the Simon Reed solo commentary yesterday.

Also, I haven't seen much of the studio coverage, but I thought Rachel Stringer has done well. An upgrade on Alizé Lim for sure, though I think I still prefer Barbara Schett as anchor (though understandable that she is in Australia alongside her Australian husband for this event).

Nick Kyrgios is co-commentating on tomorrow's men's singles final. The matches he has done he has either been with Nick Lester in Melbourne or with Chris Bradnam remotely, so will be either of those situations again or with Simon remotely for the first time.

In other tennis news, Ireland play Austria in what's probably their biggest Davis Cup tie ever next weekend (a World Group 1 play-off), and it will be on Premier Sports 1/2 in Ireland and Viaplay in the UK. At £14.99/month I can't imagine it will get many new subscribers other than die-hard Dominic Thiem fans.

Tennis Channel International are showing six of the twelve Qualifiers over the four days of competition starting with Ukraine vs USA which is Thursday-Friday in Lithuania, starting early because there is also a home tie for Lithuania in the same venue over the weekend. Five of the TC-covered Qualifiers have world feed commentary from the ITF (who are doing commentary for six ties but TC aren't showing Czechia vs Israel according to their website). They'll have their own commentary for Hungary vs Germany, remotely from Germany but apparently in English.

Of those missing from TC, Netherlands vs Switzerland will likely be available on KNLTB's YouTube channel (simulcast of Ziggo Sport) as is usually the case.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 27-01-2024

It’s an interesting pick up alright, but Irish tennis suffers from having no pro players at present, basically, even though the sport is (as a participation rather then spectator sport) fairly popular here - there are plenty of tennis clubs. So, with nobody to shout for, tennis has basically disappeared off Irish television, except for Premier Sports, which now has the rights to Wimbledon (most would watch on the BBC instead though).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 28-01-2024

I suppose the rest of the tennis tour is on Sky and Eurosport which have UK/Ireland and pan-European rights respectively.

I've been told Czechia vs Israel will be on TC despite not being listed on their app and website along with the other ties.
And they will also have the World Group I Play-off between Pakistan and India, primarily aimed at TC Intl's Indian market, with commentary coming from Tennis Channel US in Los Angeles.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 28-01-2024

Nick Lester and Nick Kyrgios commentated the final but it sounds like Simon Reed was on standby in case the link failed, as he's done a live package voiceover after the match.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - AJB39 - 28-01-2024

(28-01-2024, 02:07 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Nick Lester and Nick Kyrgios commentated the final but it sounds like Simon Reed was on standby in case the link failed, as he's done a live package voiceover after the match.

Chris Bradnam returned to do the Women’s Doubles Final this morning with Jo Durie, having been missing for a few days. However it feels like there has been a changing of the guard not only on the court but in the commentary booth this tournament with Nick Lester and Naomi Cavaday very successfully taking over lead commentator duties for the two singles finals.

Yes, some good editorial decisions from Eurosport. Potentially risky but paid off

Naomi Cavaday is one of the lead world feed commentators (solo) for the Hua Hin Championships that start tomorrow. Nick Lester will be back in the UK by Wednesday and will be one of the world feed lead commentators for Linz, which has daily coverage on Sky. He's also doing one of the Davis Cup ties so double-shifting on Friday and Saturday.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 28-01-2024

Disruption to the West Brom v Wolves fixture has halted play in around the 80th minute. Interesting ITV have their A-team on this rather than the later Liverpool match - probably a practical decision due to the match last night.

They have this match to complete (or postpone) and the fifth round draw to get in before Liverpool vs Norwich City kicks off at 14:30.