Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 07-02-2024

Still a bit of logic in the name there though. Just shows though how reliant the industry is on the BBC for developing talent though - doubt there are many on the nations most popular podcasts who haven't passed through the BBC at some point in their career.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 07-02-2024

Super League deal finally confirmed with 10 matches on BBC TV and 5 on the iPlayer only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/bbc-sport-super-league-tv-rights-deal-challenge-cup-digital 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 02:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Super League deal finally confirmed with 10 matches on BBC TV and 5 on the iPlayer only.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2024/bbc-sport-super-league-tv-rights-deal-challenge-cup-digital 

Are there less linear matches from the Challenge Cup there as well? I'm not completely au fait with the format, but I think the fifth and sixth rounds have had BBC One and Two coverage in the past, and now look like they are relegated to online only.

If so, maybe they have payed the same or similar to before, got more matches, but less on linear TV? That would make sense considering BBC Sport's financial situation.

That's what it seems like, and didn't they have two matches most rounds too.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 02:37 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Are there less linear matches from the Challenge Cup there as well? I'm not completely au fait with the format, but I think the fifth and sixth rounds have had BBC One and Two coverage in the past, and now look like they are relegated to online only.

If so, maybe they have payed the same or similar to before, got more matches, but less on linear TV? That would make sense considering BBC Sport's financial situation.

Seen another Forum saying 5th and 6th rounds usually 2 matches - 1 on BBC One on Saturday and the other on BBC Two on Sunday but Challenge Cup format may be changing from next year, also said on the BBC Sport report which I am not sure if people noticed this that the Super League Show is to end.

Suppose the positive if your a League fan is there will still be between 15-20 linear matches on BBC TV between Super League, Challenge Cup (Men & Women) and Internationals as well as matches 5-10 matches on iplayer from the Super League & early rounds of the Challenge Cup. Good if your a Rugby League fan that doesn't have Sky.

Odd they've picked up these rights but now axed the Super League Show, with next day online highlights only. Assumed the whole point of the BBC getting the rights would be to have free to air live coverage and highlights in one place.

Chappers and Tanya Arnold will share hosting duties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68229917 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 07-02-2024

A shame that the Super League Show has been axed as it was an easy way to follow the league for semi-casual followers. It presumably would have been a bit easier to produce this year as well with all matches having a multicamera broadcast set up.

Sports highlights show seem to be dying out generally at the moment. Apart from a few like the MOTD rights, it does feel like any left are a contractual obligation rather than done for the benefit of the audience. It is likely cheaper, and there probably is some market research saying people prefer the extra freedom or something, to put edits up on a website or YouTube for the viewer to curate and watch in their own time. But it is often a shame to miss the extra insight and context from a well produced highlights show, especially for something not massively mainstream like Super League.

Anyway, you could easily make an argument that the BBC would have always wanted to axe the Super League Show at the first chance they got, with it airing after 11pm on BBC One in the regions and Tuesday daytime on BBC Two - hardly peak viewing hours.

Finally, it's funny that the only presenter of a British domestic football cup final for Sky can host top football and rugby league for the BBC, but one of Sky's rugby league commentators can't contribute to the BBC. Saying that, Mark Chapman is very much an outlier in personnel that appear on Sky Sports, there's not many like him that also have a relatively big profile on a rival channel.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 06:45 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  A shame that the Super League Show has been axed as it was an easy way to follow the league for semi-casual followers. It presumably would have been a bit easier to produce this year as well with all matches having a multicamera broadcast set up.

Sports highlights show seem to be dying out generally at the moment. Apart from a few like the MOTD rights, it does feel like any left are a contractual obligation rather than done for the benefit of the audience. It is likely cheaper, and there probably is some market research saying people prefer the extra freedom or something, to put edits up on a website or YouTube for the viewer to curate and watch in their own time. But it is often a shame to miss the extra insight and context from a well produced highlights show, especially for something not massively mainstream like Super League.

Anyway, you could easily make an argument that the BBC would have always wanted to axe the Super League Show at the first chance they got, with it airing after 11pm on BBC One in the regions and Tuesday daytime on BBC Two - hardly peak viewing hours.

Finally, it's funny that the only presenter of a British domestic football cup final for Sky can host top football and rugby league for the BBC, but one of Sky's rugby league commentators can't contribute to the BBC. Saying that, Mark Chapman is very much an outlier in personnel that appear on Sky Sports, there's not many like him that also have a relatively big profile on a rival channel.

Why the BBC didn't keep the Super League Show, but move it permanently to BBC2 (or even BBC3 for that matter) is beyond me. Will they still have highlights of the play off matches though?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 06:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Odd they've picked up these rights but now axed the Super League Show, with next day online highlights only. Assumed the whole point of the BBC getting the rights would be to have free to air live coverage and highlights in one place.

Chappers and Tanya Arnold will share hosting duties.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/68229917 

I'm guessing they'll use their usual pundits (such as Jonathan Davies, Robbie Hunter-Paul etc) as well

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 07-02-2024

(07-02-2024, 07:05 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Why the BBC didn't keep the Super League Show, but move it permanently to BBC2 (or even BBC3 for that matter) is beyond me. Will they still have highlights of the play off matches though?

I thought it said semi final and final highlights on the BBC

(07-02-2024, 06:45 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Finally, it's funny that the only presenter of a British domestic football cup final for Sky can host top football and rugby league for the BBC, but one of Sky's rugby league commentators can't contribute to the BBC. Saying that, Mark Chapman is very much an outlier in personnel that appear on Sky Sports, there's not many like him that also have a relatively big profile on a rival channel.

Chappers held all the cards as he wanted to keep his BBC commitments, weird in this day and age where most Sky/TNT pundits move between channels even if only for tournaments like Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville and you have very few exclusive pundits nowadays.

Surprised Dave Woods gave up the Challenge Cup and England Internationals as well.

(07-02-2024, 07:06 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  I'm guessing they'll use their usual pundits (such as Jonathan Davies, Robbie Hunter-Paul etc) as well

I assume so, I guess that is why Davies is still with the BBC as most of the old guard when they had the 6 Nations exclusively like Inverdale, Guscott, Moore, Nicol etc are all gone from the BBC with only Davies remaining, I don't mind Davies just as long as he isn't on Wales Rugby Union matches