Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Steve in Pudsey - 09-02-2024

I'm always surprised that the BBC don't put the radio comms on the AD channel

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - James2001 - 09-02-2024

Isn't the AD channel on some platforms mixed in with the regular audio rather than being an entirely separate channel? So it would be a cacophony if they did that.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-02-2024

(04-02-2024, 07:14 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  For the Six Nations specials, BBC Wales' Scrum V has moved set. I'm not sure if this will be permanent as they have moved to the atrium or similar for previous Six Nations.

I'm only on my phone, so I can't see whether it's in the atrium or in the green screen studio (like MOTD Wales moved to)?

And what is that desk?? At least it's the right logo, unlike the usual desk which was wrong even on day one (Sport in Gill Sans in 2020).

https://twitter.com/BBCScrumV/status/1754204883538886891?t=k0lHC7oi9DIJqjKdYGFuRQ&s=19 

Clwb Rygbi covering the Under 20s game on S4C is also in that studio, with the Clwb Rygbi logo on the front of the desk. So it looks likely this is the newlook home for the BBC Wales produced rugby coverage going forward, not just a tempoary location.

Not sure how or why they can't make it all the way to Bath from Cardiff to host onsite though.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 09-02-2024

Do MOTD Wales and Scrum V not use the same studio as Wales Today?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Transmission - 09-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 03:40 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  ITV will trial audio description commentary of tomorrow's England v. Wales Six Nations match. This in partnership with Guinness.

Good to hear the coverage will be more accessible.

https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/news-and-resources/guinness-and-itv-make-sporting-history-by-trialling-live-descriptive-audio-commentary-for-the-guinness-six-nations 

I'm fairly sure this is a first - putting out live AD via the AD track. Live audio description has been done before, for example on BT/TNT for the FA Disability Cup or on the BBC for Strictly Come Dancing, but using a red button channel. I might be wrong but I can't think of a time it's been done this way before.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-02-2024

Unsurprisingly, Matt Newsum is set to lead the BBC TV rugby league commentary for their first Super League game. Tanya Arnold will host next Saturday.

There is still no deal I believe to televise the Championship. The previous deal with Viaplay (well Premier Sports) came to an end last season, and that was expected to be the end of their involvment. But apparently they could be interested again. The Championship starts a month later than Super League though, so not a mjor concern at this stage.

https://x.com/rugbyleagueontv/status/1756073806165151813?s=20 

(09-02-2024, 08:33 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Do MOTD Wales and Scrum V not use the same studio as Wales Today?

No they don't. When Newyddion and Wales Today (almost) clash, one does come from what looks like a green screen studio, but it looks far smaller than the one in use for the rugby coverage this past week and MOTD Wales recently. I think the Wales Today studio and what was used by Scrum V and Clwb Rygbi were on seperate floors to each other and were also definitely not the same studio.

(09-02-2024, 06:18 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I'm always surprised that the BBC don't put the radio comms on the AD channel

Apparently the approach of tomorrow's commentary will be a bit different to the standard radio style, "radio plus" is how Nick Heath is calling it.

https://x.com/nickheathsport/status/1756071858942734796?s=20 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 10-02-2024

Catching up with the Rugby Special highlights from last weekend. Once again it's in the BBC football studio and is using the MOTD 'background'. For me the cityscapre is the best look used in that studio.

The match edits are somehow using outdated BBC Sport graphics, and by extension the wrong BBC logo alongside the world feed scoreboard. These graphics are around 20 months out of date now so it is quite inexplicable that they are being used incorrectly for a second Six Nations in a row. The studio elements are all using the correct graphics.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/RhysJR/TVLF%20327.jpg 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - thegeek - 10-02-2024

(09-02-2024, 10:51 PM)Transmission Wrote:  I'm fairly sure this is a first - putting out live AD via the AD track. Live audio description has been done before, for example on BT/TNT for the FA Disability Cup or on the BBC for Strictly Come Dancing, but using a red button channel. I might be wrong but I can't think of a time it's been done this way before.

I think ITV used the AD track for the Coronation, though their approach there was to squeeze descriptions in between the existing commentary rather than a whole new mix. I guess if you left the AD control track set to fully fade out the main audio for the whole match, you could put a full mix + effects on the AD audio track it would work - though the AD audio track tends to be very low bandwidth, so perhaps they've managed to allocate some more to it. (Also last time I looked into it, there wasn't anything commercially available which could generate the AD control track live, but perhaps they've got something custom made.)

As you say, BT/TNT and the BBC's approach has been to use a Red Button channel with an entirely separate mix.

BT Sport had an Ofcom ruling against them in their very early days for not hitting their AD quotas on ESPN UK (under its previous ownership). They said they'd considered using radio commentary as an AD track, but had deemed it not suitable because they're trying to achieve different things.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - SuperSajuuk - 10-02-2024

(08-02-2024, 12:26 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  BBC Wales' coverage of the Welsh Open snooker next week will for the first time start at 10am for the first few days, rather than at 1pm. This is helped by Politics Live not airing next week. The evening sessions will have an hour on BBC Two Wales, and will air in full on the Red Button and iPlayer nationally (all BBC Two Wales coverage is simulcast on the Red Button as well).
BBC Wales' Catrin Heledd and Ian Hunt are the two presenters billed all week.

Eurosport's linear coverage dosn't begin until 12:30 at the start of the week. Looking at the schedule, it looks like their studio coverage doesn't kick in until the Friday once again.

Am I right in thinking BBC Wales are the host broadcaster for this event? It's a bit hard to establish as it uses the WST graphics package rather than the BBC's own on matches, and the Eurosport studio is usually in the prime location overlooking the tables, with BBC Wales in a corner of the practice room out of the way.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001wf9k 
(Thanks to Nick Metcalfe on Twitter for spotting the change to the BBC coverage)

Eurosport have never generally broadcast the morning session as they keep that on Discovery+. So the Welsh Open being fully covered on FTA via the BBC is a win for them.

The tournament itself is a combined production from both BBC Wales and Eurosport. While the BBC get dibs on the commentary box on-site and partially produce the coverage (ensuring 50fps transitions and high audio quality on table one), they don't get control over the scoreboard graphics, the actual stinger transition graphic that is used, and have a separate "birds eye" view camera (as Eurosport use a separate camera that ensure the advertising boards are in shot as much as possible). They also get some partial control over the table one matches (making sure Welsh players are on there for example), but thats about it, and they're also only able to focus on Table One (ie there isn't commentary for any other match).

Also as a side note: anyone on satellite platforms can access BBC Two Wales via channel 968, so it'll be where I'm watching once the coverage begins (before moving to Red Button and/or Eurosport). 👍

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 10-02-2024

ITV presenting from pitchside again at Twickenham, so it looks like they have ditched all types of studios for their Six Nations coverage.

Following my note that Rugby Special was using out of date graphics, ITV have likewise done similar with their AR graphics in the style of their old Six Nations graphics style.