Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - MajesticBass - 18-02-2024

I'm quite surprised they didn't go for a 12:30 start for the Wolves game and then let the SPFL game clash with the Carabao cup final (or have the EPL and SPFL clash)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 12:22 AM)TIGHazard Wrote:  In addition at half-time it seems like they are allowed to show highlights footage from other games in progress - complete with Sky DOG.

https://i.imgur.com/vFiLfV0.png 

IMO something other sports with FTA/Pay splits should think about doing.

I'm assuming it will be the Sky scoreboard that the BBC will use for the World Club Challenge next week too.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 02:19 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  More people watched the rugby league yesterday on the BBC than they did on Channel 4 last season. Though the number is not massively impressive, a net win there for the new arrangement.

https://twitter.com/rugbyleagueontv/status/1759204082089148849?t=iwzvhvUU1WTj7cnhscEOxA&s=19 

Do we know the Sky ratings?

Am I right in thinking other than the play offs the C4 games were exclusive to them?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 18-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 06:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Do we know the Sky ratings?

Am I right in thinking other than the play offs the C4 games were exclusive to them?

Here's some partial figures. No details for Saturday from this as Main Event was covering the Premier League

https://x.com/rugbyleagueontv/status/1759220454500274405?s=20 

Channel 4 regular season matches were exclusive to them. In theory, the BBC matches will be on the new streaming option by Sky come the summer, so the BBC would have exclusive linear coverage I would think.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Scratch_Perry - 19-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 05:24 PM)MajesticBass Wrote:  I'm quite surprised they didn't go for a 12:30 start for the Wolves game and then let the SPFL game clash with the Carabao cup final (or have the EPL and SPFL clash)

Unfortunately, due to the late confirmation of the Carabao Cup Final kick-off time, they decided to keep the 1.30pm kick-off for the Wolves-Sheffield United PL game and have coverage solely on Sky Sports Premier League. Even if they brought the kick-off forward to 12.30pm, it would only give them around half an hour build-up to the Carabao Cup final, whereas usually it's an hour build-up.

It now seems like the days of teatime kick-offs for FA Cup semi-finals and Carabao/FA Cup finals are now coming to an end with the Met Police now having shifted last year's FA Cup final and the upcoming Carabao Cup final away from the late afternoon to the earlier 3pm slot. Interestingly, Wembley is hosting this year's Champions League final, so they must be praying it's not going to be Man City v Arsenal, or one of those two clubs up against an Italian club, given that their fans have serious beef with fans of English clubs. The Met can't go to UEFA to say "we can't have this game at 8pm UK time (9pm CET), it'll have to be 3pm (4pm CET)" Big Grin Big Grin

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 19-02-2024

(18-02-2024, 06:13 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  I'm assuming it will be the Sky scoreboard that the BBC will use for the World Club Challenge next week too.

Also just remembered this will be a busy weekend for Mark Chapman - given that he will be doing both 5 Live work and hosting the rugby on BBC2 on Saturday, and hosting the Carabao Cup Final on Sky on Sunday.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 12:09 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Unfortunately, due to the late confirmation of the Carabao Cup Final kick-off time, they decided to keep the 1.30pm kick-off for the Wolves-Sheffield United PL game and have coverage solely on Sky Sports Premier League. Even if they brought the kick-off forward to 12.30pm, it would only give them around half an hour build-up to the Carabao Cup final, whereas usually it's an hour build-up.

It now seems like the days of teatime kick-offs for FA Cup semi-finals and Carabao/FA Cup finals are now coming to an end with the Met Police now having shifted last year's FA Cup final and the upcoming Carabao Cup final away from the late afternoon to the earlier 3pm slot. Interestingly, Wembley is hosting this year's Champions League final, so they must be praying it's not going to be Man City v Arsenal, or one of those two clubs up against an Italian club, given that their fans have serious beef with fans of English clubs. The Met can't go to UEFA to say "we can't have this game at 8pm UK time (9pm CET), it'll have to be 3pm (4pm CET)" Big Grin Big Grin

With the recent history of the last two Champions League finals being complete organisational disasters (one likely criminal) and the last UEFA men's final at Wembley (Euro 2020), and your abive points, there could be a perfect recipe for disaster! Let's hope the draw is lucky and lessons have been learnt by all.

I guess it is Euro 2020 why the Police is being extra cautious with Wembley matches in particular. I can remember around a decade ago we had a Tottenham v. Chelsea FA Cup semi-final at 6pm on a Sunday; I wouldn't imagine that being after midday at the moment!

(19-02-2024, 12:15 AM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Also just remembered this will be a busy weekend for Mark Chapman - given that he will be doing both 5 Live work and hosting the rugby on BBC2 on Saturday, and hosting the Carabao Cup Final on Sky on Sunday.

I'd wager Steve Crossman (most likely) would be drafted in for 5 Live Sport on Saturday, possibly with Sonja McLauchlin anchoring the rugby. Though, it is Mark Chapman is still down on the schedule

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 01:47 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  With the recent history of the last two Champions League finals being complete organisational disasters (one likely criminal) and the last UEFA men's final at Wembley (Euro 2020), and your abive points, there could be a perfect recipe for disaster! Let's hope the draw is lucky and lessons have been learnt by all.

I guess it is Euro 2020 why the Police is being extra cautious with Wembley matches in particular. I can remember around a decade ago we had a Tottenham v. Chelsea FA Cup semi-final at 6pm on a Sunday; I wouldn't imagine that being after midday at the moment!

I'd wager Steve Crossman (most likely) would be drafted in for 5 Live Sport on Saturday, possibly with Sonja McLauchlin anchoring the rugby. Though, it is Mark Chapman is still down on the schedule

Remember though, the rugby match on BBC2 that night is at Wigan, which is only about half an hour's drive from MediaCity. So maybe he could do the football and the first half of Scotland v England, with Sonja McLaughlan taking over at half time

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - tvfan123! - 19-02-2024

In a few weeks time (Sunday 3rd March) the Manchester derby will kick off at 15:30 with Burnley vs Bournemouth kicking off at 13:00 live on Sky Sports. This is an hour earlier than the games would usually start, does anybody know why Sky have done this?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 19-02-2024

(19-02-2024, 08:46 AM)tvfan123! Wrote:  In a few weeks time (Sunday 3rd March) the Manchester derby will kick off at 15:30 with Burnley vs Bournemouth kicking off at 13:00 live on Sky Sports. This is an hour earlier than the games would usually start, does anybody know why Sky have done this?

The GMP won’t allow a later kick off anymore.