Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Scratch_Perry - 24-02-2024

(24-02-2024, 02:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  John Inverdale had to step down when he became involved in the RFU and Clare Balding has stayed away from rugby league coverage whilst she was president of the RFL too, so the precedent is there.

Clare Balding hasn't been anywhere near rugby league TV presentation since she became the main presenter for horse racing on Channel 4 from 2013 (until their exit 3 years later). Mark Chapman took over from Balding as the main rugby league presenter and remains in that role to date.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 24-02-2024

God, has it been that long. Does feel like shes gone from hosting everything every week on every channel to just doing Crufts, Wimbledon and the Olympics and Paralympics now.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 24-02-2024

(24-02-2024, 06:32 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ugo Monye on punditry for BBC today - think he had that role on ITV a couple of weeks back.

Monye was on ITV for Italy v England then on BBC on Rugby Special the next day on the 1st weekend and Benjamin Kayser was on ITV for the 1st weekend then BBC for the 2nd weekend. I think Parisse is due to be on the BBC for the Wales v Italy match having already worked for ITV a few times this year.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 25-02-2024

How did Mark Chapman's day transpire in the end?

I heard him on air on Radio 5 Live at midday and he hosted the rugby league on BBC Two from 19:30 until after 10. So he did indeed leave 5 Live Sport early to travel from Salford to Wigan. Now a late night or early morning journey to the other end of the country to be at Wembley at lunchtime!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 25-02-2024

(25-02-2024, 12:13 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  How did Mark Chapman's day transpire in the end?

I heard him on air on Radio 5 Live at midday and he hosted the rugby league on BBC Two from 19:30 until after 10. So he did indeed leave 5 Live Sport early to travel from Salford to Wigan. Now a late night or early morning journey to the other end of the country to be at Wembley at lunchtime!

Checking on BBC Sounds seems he left at half time just after 4pm (and it was referenced). The football crossed straight to the rugby at 4.45pm, but Chappers was back at half time in the rugby at 5.30pm (possibly from Wigan), then straight to the second half of the late football kick off.

Did C4 show the World Club Challenge last season - surprised this is in the FTA deal TBA, though perhaps Sky put less value on it than an actual Super League Match.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 25-02-2024

(25-02-2024, 12:39 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Checking on BBC Sounds seems he left at half time just after 4pm (and it was referenced). The football crossed straight to the rugby at 4.45pm, but Chappers was back at half time in the rugby at 5.30pm (possibly from Wigan), then straight to the second half of the late football kick off.

Did C4 show the World Club Challenge last season - surprised this is in the FTA deal TBA, though perhaps Sky put less value on it than an actual Super League Match.

Yes C4 showed it, as Adam Hills hosted but they took the Fox League commentary with Andrew Voss (as did Sky - but Sky didn't have any presentation for that one)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 25-02-2024

(25-02-2024, 12:39 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Checking on BBC Sounds seems he left at half time just after 4pm (and it was referenced). The football crossed straight to the rugby at 4.45pm, but Chappers was back at half time in the rugby at 5.30pm (possibly from Wigan), then straight to the second half of the late football kick off.

Thanks

Channel 4 did show it live last year. It was a around 7am kick-off, but they presented it from pitchside of the stadium that was hosting their lunchtime kick-off.

You could imagine a one-off game at the start of the season wouldn't be a big money spinner for Sky, whilst the governing bodies you can imagine would see it as a good game to show to garner general interest (a de facto World Cup final, England v Australia tie etc. are buzzwords for a casual audience). Before its hiatus and COVID, it was usually shown via a networked highlights show on BBC Two (like the playoffs and Grand Final) rather than being on the Super League Show.

Anyway, it has worked out quite well for the sport that both that have been shown on FTA TV have gone down to the wire and saw a Super League winner. Sounds like a dream scenario for almost any sporting event for the title to go down to the final play and be shown on BBC Two at near 10pm on a Saturday night.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 25-02-2024

I still can't get my head around them dropping the Super League Show - it would be like picking up live Premier League matches and dropping Match of the Day.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Steve in Pudsey - 25-02-2024

The algorithms have led me to this - Kate Abdo presenting CBS's Champions League coverage and live translating post-match player interviews from French, Spanish and German.

https://twitter.com/HLTCO/status/1588092088532467714?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1588092088532467714%7Ctwgr%5Ec67b36d54770b398d9ed249cbf3853929fbaf6a2%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sportbible.com%2Ffootball%2Fkate-abdo-mbappe-valverde-champions-league-cbs-sports-20221103 

Seriously impressive stuff (and I appreciate the the congratulatory fist bump from Thierry Henry), I gather that she has a degree in modern languages, lived in Spain and studied translation and interpretation at Malaga Uni, so I have nothing but respect for her putting in the graft to be able to do that so effortlessly, and fair play to whoever at CBS saw the potential to use her language skills - I guess qualified language interpreter isn't a standard item on the job spec for a sports TV presenter.

But what I wonder is how does the language issue work for broadcasters who don't have that kind of skill in their presentating teams. Does the host broadcaster provide translations for pooled post match interviews?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - robertclark125 - 25-02-2024

When, up until 1988, both the BBC and ITV simulcast the FA cup final, did they take it in turns to be host broadcaster for the final, or did both have OB units and cameras at Wembley each year, with one showing a replay of an incident, whilst another was showing a player?