Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - News Engineer - 07-03-2024

(06-03-2024, 11:45 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Do you really think TNT would be so lovely and buy these FA cup rights just to end up with third and fourth pick matches. They are a greedy company. I am 99% Certain that BBC will end up with the scraps. Lets just hope they haven't paid millions to TNT because I bet TNT would then use that money for Six Nations rights. If they were that nice they would have given BBC all Quarter finals and both Semi finals.
I’d hang on before making such definitive statements, because they aren’t backed up by previous deals - even if this one is being done in a different way. It is quite possible, verging on likely, that the FA deal with TNT has stipulations about the minimum and amount and ‘quality’ / picks that would need to be included in a FTA deal. The mistake has been made before (albeit 20 years ago) about how a poor FTA deal doesn’t do the competition any good.

This isn’t about TNT being ‘lovely’ - striking the right FTA deal is both a requirement and won’t do them much damage at all. They’re going to have a huge quantity of matches.

If the assuming reports are correct) BBC deal gives them first and third / fourth pick - which I suspect is most likely, and similar to the last shared FTA / Pay TV deal, TNT are still going to get some very good matches, along with being able to promote how they have every other game.

Also, this deal will have zero impact on what happens with the Six Nations rights. If they were to go TNT that would still have happened event without them getting a bit of money from the Beeb for an FA Cup deal they knew they’d have to make. (Whether it was with the BBC or ITV.)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 07-03-2024

Look all I am saying is I find TNT very greedy in all of this, In my honest opinion I would Bet they have brought up all the best FA Cup matches leaving BBC with say something like Gillingham V Southampton and Stoke V Brighton. TNT seem to only do things for their own gain like they have done with the Olympics, they had to sublet to a free to air channel like BBC but only let them have 2 streams so BBC can't show every event.

With the Australian Open tennis final highlights where to they put them, on a small channel like Quest (Why not give them to BBC) Sky seem to do well with the free to air broadcasters where they do deals to put big events like Cricket world cups on free to air tv but if a British player got through to one of the finals of Australian and French which TNT have I bet they would keep all of it for themselves I do not trust £NT one bit

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 07-03-2024

The BBC deal in recent years has been alternate first picks. Prior to that they did have first picks, but there was a period when Sky had first picks and ITV had second picks.

Obviously this new deal will likely favour TNT but I'd be surprised if the BBC didn't at least have 2nd and 4th pick. TBH the way the BBC pick compared to commercial broadcasters means they might get away with it as they like the potential giant killings rather than all Premier League ties.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 12:13 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The BBC deal in recent years has been alternate first picks. Prior to that they did have first picks, but there was a period when Sky had first picks and ITV had second picks.

Obviously this new deal will likely favour TNT but I'd be surprised if the BBC didn't at least have 2nd and 4th pick. TBH the way the BBC pick compared to commercial broadcasters means they might get away with it as they like the potential giant killings rather than all Premier League ties.

The best thing about the FA cup as we get into the rounds is the big matches though. Who is really going to be that interested in Wolverhampton V Coventry and Chelsea V Leicester. More people are going to watch Man City V Newcastle and Man United V Liverpool £NT will know this and this is why they made this deal with BBC, BBC with the scraps and £NT with the big money spinning matches

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 07-03-2024

Tennis...

Netflix's second foray into live sport took place on Sunday with the Netflix Slam in Las Vegas between Rafael Nadal and Carlos Alcaraz. Unlike its venture into golf, this event used top tennis stars and had no gimmicks, with commentary from standard tennis voices and faces as well. As a result, the feedback I've seen (personally didn't watch it) was broadly positive. Viewing data, though naturally limited, suggests good viewrship as well. It will be interesting where next the Netflix eye turns to next when it comes to live sport.

https://x.com/josemorgado/status/1764850779326718195?s=20 

Today saw Indian Wells begin - the first joint ATP/WTA Masters of the season and the first ever to be shown live on Sky Sports. It appears Sky's coverage will take a similar pattern to their US Open coverage, with Gigi Salmon and guests (Tim Henman and and Laura Robson today) anchoring from London, before going out to California for the latter stages. Karthi Gnanasegaram is onsite reporting for Sky. I'm surprised Sky's commentary roster is still quite small - today has seen Jonathan Overend and Naomi Cavaday commentating (presumably offtube) alongside Tim Henman and Laura Robson; though, as of yet, it has been Sky-exclusive commentary on all matches shown on the main channel. I'm not sure what studio Sky are using; I don't think it's the MNF studio that they also used for the US Open.

Though the move from Amazon is an obvious disappointment, especially on cost grounds, for tennis viewers, today would be a good case study in why it is benficial for the sport to have moved to Sky. Coverage has been simulcasted on SS Main Event either side of live football, with promos airing during other popular broadcasts like live PL coverage in the build-up.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 12:04 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  More news about the Irish rights for the UEFA Champions League, Europa League & Conference League rights.

Saran Media International, who are the owners of Livescore, have signed a new contract with UEFA to stream matches to these competitions from 2024 to 2027.

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/028b-1a566cbc0cb3-fbdd84c4c8c7-1000/2024-27_ucl_media_rights_sales_2024.03.05.pdf 

https://editorial.uefa.com/resources/028b-1a566d2b95ba-3807fcdd3381-1000/2024-27_uel_uconfl_media_rights_sales_2024.03.05.pdf 

We still haven't heard anything whether RTÉ have gained something for the UCL from these new rights deals.

The same should be said for VMTV on the UEFA Europa League & Conference League in the near future.

I don’t think LiveScore Group is owned by Saran - they are a spin off of Gamesys and owned by gambling company Anzo, who also own Virgin Bet.

Saran Media are a Turkish firm, who are in the business of buying up sports rights and selling or sub licensing them on. They did the deal last time round for LiveScore.

I can’t see LiveScore remaining in the mix this time, not least because we know VMTV have picked up the lions share of the rights, but also because as a player they have been absolutely anonymous - nobody talks about their coverage and they hardly promote it now. TNT’s coverage has much higher profile, as do RTE and VMTV obviously.

In summary what we know about the Irish Champions League rights for 2024-27 are as follows: Premier have first pick on a Tuesday and at least one pick on a Wednesday - reports differ as to whether it is the first pick - and the final. VMTV have four of the remaining picks each on a Tuesday and Wednesday, with two games to be broadcast on one of the FTA VMTV channels and two on VMTV More, which is only available to VM cable customers. Finally RTE have not announced anything, but are understood to be in the mix. (If there are nine games a night, then that would still seem to leave room for another player - or it may be Premier have access to those matches?)

What’s odd about it all is that the pay broadcaster seems to have gotten the package tailored to FTA, and the FTA broadcaster the pay package.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Scratch_Perry - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 12:34 AM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  The best thing about the FA cup as we get into the rounds is the big matches though. Who is really going to be that interested in Wolverhampton V Coventry and Chelsea V Leicester. More people are going to watch Man City V Newcastle and Man United V Liverpool £NT will know this and this is why they made this deal with BBC, BBC with the scraps and £NT with the big money spinning matches

Which is like in Scotland with the Scottish FA and Viaplay/BBC deal for the Scottish FA Cup, where Viaplay have the first 2 picks up to and including the quarter final (and surprise surprise, it's always the Rangers and Celtic ties which are chosen by them) and first pick for the semi-final, with both showing the final live.

Incidentally a Celtic v Rangers Scottish FA Cup tie has only been shown live on free-to-air television once this century, which was the 2002 final. For a comparison, the Man United v Liverpool FA Cup quarter-final tie on Sunday week on ITV will be the fourth such meeting over the same period of time and all have been shown live on FTA (2006, 2021 on BBC and 2011 on ITV).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 02:42 PM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Which is like in Scotland with the Scottish FA and Viaplay/BBC deal for the Scottish FA Cup, where Viaplay have the first 2 picks up to and including the quarter final (and surprise surprise, it's always the Rangers and Celtic ties which are chosen by them) and first pick for the semi-final, with both showing the final live.

Incidentally a Celtic v Rangers Scottish FA Cup tie has only been shown live on free-to-air television once this century, which was the 2002 final. For a comparison, the Man United v Liverpool FA Cup quarter-final tie on Sunday week on ITV will be the fourth such meeting over the same period of time and all have been shown live on FTA (2006, 2021 on BBC and 2011 on ITV).

Didn't BBC Scotland have primary live rights around 20 years ago?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-man-utd-everton-32265925 

Looks like TNT have signed Rooney up as a pundit, not sure if it is only going to be for this match or if he will appear for other matches like on BBC or Sky. Hopefully BBC or ITV will sign him up for the euros as I thought he was quite good

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - JACKLUFC1998 - 07-03-2024

(07-03-2024, 05:08 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/wayne-rooney-man-utd-everton-32265925 

Looks like TNT have signed Rooney up as a pundit, not sure if it is only going to be for this match or if he will appear for other matches like on BBC or Sky. Hopefully BBC or ITV will sign him up for the euros as I thought he was quite good

Has he ever done any games for Sky, and did he ever do any games for BT? I hope Channel 4 have him as a pundit on any of their final four England games