Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Transmission - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 01:20 PM)harshy Wrote:  Strange in the sense I’ve never seen Dazn boxing on sky sports box office considering there’s already a Dazn Uk. There must still be a clause in Joshua’s contract which allows his fights to be shown on Sky.

As mentioned, it's not unusual for a fight elsewhere in the world, it's just that instead of the graphics saying e.g. Showtime or ESPN, it's a broadcaster that also operates in the UK. What is a bit unusual but seems to be happening more often recently, is that this fight was available on two PPV channels here. It also happened with Joshua's previous Saudi fight in December, which was on DAZN and TNT Sports Box Office. DAZN's graphics as host broadcaster were seen on TNT, including their apology caption for the loss of sound they were experiencing (but TNT weren't!).

There's also the Tyson Fury fight which was due to go ahead last month but now hopefully will be in May, which is due to be shown in the UK on all three PPV channels- Sky, TNT and DAZN!

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 02:55 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  And next year's men's Six Nations fixtures have just been published. The tournament will open on Friday January 31st in Paris and conclude at the same venue on the 15th of March.

No news yet on where this will be broadcasted.

https://www.sixnationsrugby.com/en/m6n/news/2025-guinness-mens-six-nations-matches-announced 
Is that the first time it's begun in January?

Have the BBC announced anything about the women's tournament? Pretty much mirrors the mens now with 2.15/4.45pm kick offs, then usually 3pm on Sunday.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 09-03-2024

The BBC/ITV contract for the Six Nations runs till 2025. It’s 2026 where matches could be on Sky/Amazon/TNT (And where a major backlash could occur).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 09-03-2024

I think the status quo will likely remain, or ITV take it exclusively. Can't see Sky or Amazon being interested given where they are - TNT a possibility having taken the Autumn Internationals but now they have the FA Cup I don't think it's probably worth it for them.

Back to presentation and a huge shame they're not presenting from Rome - cutting from the electric atmosphere in the stadium to the silence of the stadium really takes viewers away from the atmosphere.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 03:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is that the first time it's begun in January?

Have the BBC announced anything about the women's tournament? Pretty much mirrors the mens now with 2.15/4.45pm kick offs, then usually 3pm on Sunday.

First time in the Six Nations era (last time was in 1997). Used to be a regular occurence in the Five Nations.

(09-03-2024, 04:00 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  The BBC/ITV contract for the Six Nations runs till 2025. It’s 2026 where matches could be on Sky/Amazon/TNT (And where a major backlash could occur).

Not sure why I thought this was the final year for this contract, thanks for the correction!

Of course, the 2016 deal kicked in a year early with ITV coming in instead of the final year of the BBC-exclusive deal, so if something has to shift to keep pay TV away, this could be it.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 09-03-2024

(09-03-2024, 05:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think the status quo will likely remain, or ITV take it exclusively. Can't see Sky or Amazon being interested given where they are - TNT a possibility having taken the Autumn Internationals but now they have the FA Cup I don't think it's probably worth it for them.

Back to presentation and a huge shame they're not presenting from Rome - cutting from the electric atmosphere in the stadium to the silence of the stadium really takes viewers away from the atmosphere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see TNT getting it but they will want the England matches exclusive I think otherwise I don't think they would get they many more subscriptions

(09-03-2024, 05:42 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised to see TNT getting it. They seem to be the sort of company to take things away from free to air. ITV left with the Italy, Scotland and Wales matches but TNT getting all England matches. Just look what they have done to FA Cup taken it away from FTA TV and BBC only being left with the scraps
We're still to know the fine print of that deal when it comes to what picks the FTA partner has. Yes, TNT on-selling the rights raises concerns will save the outrage for when we know what the actual deal is, although we have seen the BBC too many times prop up pay-TV deals with weaker free to air offerings.

Ultimately since 1991 the FA Cup has only been on free to air exclusively over four seasons - in 2009/2010 when Setanta folds and ITV took their matches and for the last three seasons when ITV picked up what is technically the pay-TV package.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 09-03-2024

The rugby authorities want Pay - Tv so I don’t think it will remain fully free to air. Sky would love it I suspect even with their cutting rugby

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 09-03-2024

Well I hope you are right Brekkie but to be we have not seen any Willing from TNT to putting on the national events on Free to air TV. Look at Sky they did deals with Channel 4 for the Formula 1 last season and the Cricket World Cup Finals with England plus Channel 5.

If TNT were that nice they would have put the Champions league on Free to Air instead of making people go on You Tube who may not have internet connection, The Australian and French open tennis could have been Shown. All TNT have done is sold 2 matches to the BBC with 1 Semi Final in the FA Cup and given the BBC only 2 channels for the Olympics. I do hope the BBC don't even thank this broadcaster

Other than perhaps a deal for the odd Champions League Final I don't think BT/TNT have had much behind a paywall worthy of striking a deal for, and they've always offered the CL Final for free. I'm old school and think for live sport especially streaming is no substitute for broadcast but 2023 data showed 99.7% of the UK population had access to at least 10 Mbps internet compared to 94% having a TV Licence.

And yes, that BBC Discovery deal is awful for viewers but I blame the BBC for that one - they panicked and took the bare minimum whilst broadcasters in France and Germany held out and got a better deal for 2020 at least. Also its where regulation has failed - the "crown jewels" list states events on it are protected in their entirety so this deal should never have been permitted. The BBC and ITV aren't permitted to sell the simultaneous group games at a World Cup to a pay-TV provider so I see no reason why a pay TV provider can have exclusivity on simultaneous Olympic events.

The worst thing though was Discovery coverage just wasn't very good and the interface for accessing additional Olympic coverage was just not as intuitive to navigate as what the BBC previously provided, with the curated extra channels clearly focused on continental Europe. IIRC they had one day where they broadcast one sport with commentary from another.