Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 17-03-2024

Being a "lovely company" doesn't come into it. I've said my piece on the Olympic deal and how I don't think it complies with the crown jewels rules, and I've little time for WB Discovery, but for me the blame lies in regulation not being enforced considering the "crown jewels" list specifies they are protected in their entirety.

On the flip side though with the 2026 expansion of the World Cup to 104 matches there is an argument the rules need relaxing on that - indeed potential an argument the BBC and ITV covering 52 matches each in a month isn't sustainable.

I think having 50% of all group and round of 32 and 16 matches FTA, including all featuring home nations and guaranteed first picks, then all matches from the QFs onwards protected might make practical sense. That should be extended to the Rugby World Cup too, where current just the final is protected.

With the Olympics full protection would be my ideal, but failing that every medal event and any session featuring GB participation. At the very least any medal event featuring Team GB should be protected.

As for the FA Cup the previous deal of nearly a decade had alternating first picks, which I think alternated by year, which is probably the fair compromise. As ITV have basically picked up the pay TV package yes Man Utd v Liverpool probably would have been on pay TV, but then Man City v Chelsea in the semi finals would likely have been FTA.

I would assume that would be the first pick for the BBC at the semi final stage but the potential of an upset in the other tie may be too much too resist.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Jon - 17-03-2024

I’m pretty sure the first picks in previous deals was always with the free to air broadcaster? Since the end of Sky/ITV split of the late night 90s?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 08:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  I’m pretty sure the first picks in previous deals was always with the free to air broadcaster? Since the end of Sky/ITV split of the late night 90s?

I might be getting mixed up with replays.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 08:59 PM)Jon Wrote:  I’m pretty sure the first picks in previous deals was always with the free to air broadcaster? Since the end of Sky/ITV split of the late night 90s?

They have been but why not announce it in the deal that the free to air broadcaster would get first picks? If the FA and TNT had both said the free to air will have the first pick it would have cleared up alot of confusion. I mean we might even end up where the draw for the FA Cup just ends up on radio

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - News Engineer - 17-03-2024

That’s right - the only deal that’s ever had first picks behind a paywall was the 1999-2002 Sky / ITV deal. Generally viewed as a very bad one for the competition and it’s never been repeated.

(17-03-2024, 09:26 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  They have been but why not announce it in the deal that the free to air broadcaster would get first picks? If the FA and TNT had both said the free to air will have the first pick it would have cleared up alot of confusion. I mean we might even end up where the draw for the FA Cup just ends up on radio

The draw isn't the event it was - suspect most get it online now. I didn't bother sticking around for it at the end of the match today and just read it a few minutes later.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - News Engineer - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 09:26 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  They have been but why not announce it in the deal that the free to air broadcaster would get first picks? If the FA and TNT had both said the free to air will have the first pick it would have cleared up alot of confusion. I mean we might even end up where the draw for the FA Cup just ends up on radio
Because when there are so many details of a deal to work it’s much easier to just to be very general and then have to issues corrections or confuse the issue. Maybe they have said the FTA partner mist have first picks, maybe they’ve said it can be alternating first picks. There will have been some kind of ‘minimum quality’ clause, because much as they want / need the money (and despite their previous statements on a ‘fully FTA’ competition), they know the competition needs the exposure, not least because their sponsors will demand it.

What’s in it for Discovery is clear - quantity of games, being able to say they have X number live, more than ever before etc. That they are the ‘home of the FA Cup’. A single game like Man Utd v Liverpool being FTA isn’t going to do much (or any) damage to the rest of what they can sell to people, that’s not what it’s about because virtually nobody is taking out / continuing a subscription because of one single game. It adds to what they offer week in week out, that’s what matters to them.

You honestly think the draw is such a major event Discovery would want it exclusively? I mean, really?! Some of your claims / complete misreadings of the deal have been way off base, but this really takes the biscuit.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 17-03-2024

(17-03-2024, 10:13 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  You honestly think the draw is such a major event Discovery would want it exclusively? I mean, really?! Some of your claims / complete misreadings of the deal have been way off base, but this really takes the biscuit.

TNT Sports (and BT Sport) have put every draw from the UEFA Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League from the group stage onwards available for free on YouTube, and in those competitions they offer the absolute bare minimum for free (only the finals and highlights on YouTube). So the likeliehood of them paywalling the FA Cup draw must be close to zero.

Anyways, in both instances, UEFA and the FA show the draws for free via UEFA.tv/UEFA.com and YouTube/Facebook/Twitter.

Next weekend's MotoGP will be shown by ITV as well as TNT Sports.

https://x.com/f1broadcasting/status/1769443540877111315?s=20 

Unverified but TNT also reportedly looking for a free to air partner for the Autumn International to air one match live per weekend, although suspect that would end up being the lesser fixtures.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - shropshireguy28 - 17-03-2024

I am always in the opinion that national sporting TV events should be on free to air TV, the cricket world cup sky have now subletted three Cricket world cups to FTA broadcasters. The Formula 1-Sky subletted live coverage of the final race to Channel 4. US Open-Amazon subletted the final to Channel 4.

What have TNT done (Olympics-Subletted to the BBC where they can only have 2 channels so not every event and FA Cup where we don't 100% know the deal but more then likely BBC but if and a big IF would they have picked Manchester United V Liverpool if they do have the first picks? BBC are not a broadcaster who are commercial so they might wrongly have picked Wolves V Coventry as top pick.

(17-03-2024, 10:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Unverified but TNT also reportedly looking for a free to air partner for the Autumn International to air one match live per weekend, although suspect that would end up being the lesser fixtures.

Of course it will be a lesser fixture. Makes me wonder why they want a free to air partner though but they will be doing it for their own gain yet again

I won't say anymore about the deal until its announced though. Hopefully my fears are wrong and a match like Manchester United V Liverpool earlier on ITV will always stay on Free to air tv.