Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 19-03-2024

A potential nightmare for rugby and ITV with the Champions Cup final kicking off at 14:45 on the same day as the FA Cup final, which last year the police moved to 15:00. The FA Cup final could be a Manchester derby again. Both events would expect to air on ITV 1, and you can see the Champions Cup final is scheduled to avoid a clash with the usual post 5pm FA Cup final kickoff time (CC usually at 16:45).

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/sport/football/article/why-all-manchester-fa-cup-final-would-cause-headache-for-rugby-js75c3g3w 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 19-03-2024

Would the Met allow a Chelsea/Manchester United final at 17.15/17.30 as well? They didn’t allow Liverpool v Dheslea at 16.30 on a Sunday for the League Cup final.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 19-03-2024

I thought the FA Cup Final returning to 3pm had pretty much been confirmed.

It's an issue but ITV have previously aired the final on ITV4 and that is likely what will happen here, with racing moved to ITV3. The complication will come if there is a fourth event in the mix (i.e. darts or snooker) - but I suspect bumping the fourth event to ITVX would be seen as a bonus rather than a problem nowadays.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 19-03-2024

It’s a particularly bizarre one because the Champions Cup final has kicked off at 4:45pm since forever (certainly the late 2000s) and I don’t know if TNT have anything that particular day requiring it to be moved to an earlier slot?

I know London’s a big enough city and Wembley and Tottenham are a bit away from each other but it’s still a lot for two big finals to be on simultaneously

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 19-03-2024

(15-03-2024, 09:58 AM)Rdd Wrote:  Not sure if it’s any indication that announcement of a broadcast deal is imminent but Ireland yesterday announced its Autumn Nations Series matches with fairly unorthodox kick off times of Friday 8:10pm and Saturday 3:10pm. (Ireland are virtually unknown to play a home international on a Friday night).

Scotland's fixture also confirmed today, with kick-offs at 10 minutes past the top/bottom of the hour.

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam/status/1770076521283137974?t=3V1FFX42rD_RF39FcogDCw&s=19 

(19-03-2024, 02:29 PM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s a particularly bizarre one because the Champions Cup final has kicked off at 4:45pm since forever (certainly the late 2000s) and I don’t know if TNT have anything that particular day requiring it to be moved to an earlier slot?

I know London’s a big enough city and Wembley and Tottenham are a bit away from each other but it’s still a lot for two big finals to be on simultaneously

My thinking was it purely to allow ITV 1 to show both, to get the best UK FTA audience. Can't see any other reason without looking further.

Slightly bizarre they are both on the same day, especially with them both on ITV 1 and in London. ITV have been a bit unlucky with their rugby finals, the Premiership final had to be on ITV 4 because of a clash last year or the year before.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 19-03-2024

Why can't they just go that extra 5 minutes to quarter too/past.

Ad wise now it may make sense not to have top of the hour kick offs - the length halves run nowadays for a 3pm kick off you can basically end up with just one ad break in the 3pm hour and one in the 4pm hour, whilst if you bring it forward 15 (or 20 minutes) you get both half time breaks in the 3pm hour and at least a couple of most match breaks in the 4pm hour too. Same with football too.

I know F1 moved their start times to 10 past for at least one season but then dropped it again, but again it was something that made sense in terms of ads within the clock hour, meaning those airing it uninterrupted could get at least one ad break in the 2pm hour before the start of the race.

(19-03-2024, 02:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Why can't they just go that extra 5 minutes to quarter too/past.

Ad wise now it may make sense not to have top of the hour kick offs - the length halves run nowadays for a 3pm kick off you can basically end up with just one ad break in the 3pm hour and one in the 4pm hour, whilst if you bring it forward 15 (or 20 minutes) you get both half time breaks in the 3pm hour and at least a couple of most match breaks in the 4pm hour too. Same with football too.

I know F1 moved their start times to 10 past for at least one season but then dropped it again, but again it was something that made sense in terms of ads within the clock hour, meaning those airing it uninterrupted could get at least one ad break in the 2pm hour before the start of the race.

I guess it's for broadcasters that aren't having extended build-up (i.e. those taking world feed commentary only) to begin their show at the top/bottom of the hour just in time for the anthems. In a similar vein, BBC Wales always used to come on air at 19:00/19:30 for 19:05/19:35 kickoffs in the PRO14 (these days build-up is more normally at 19:20, but that means displacing far more of the network schedule).

The 2032 Olympics could be in danger.

The two big questions here is for Australia's reputation on being able to host major sporting events after the 2026 Commonwealth Games. And for the IOC, the first Games awarded under their new process of a preferred bidder (which was supposed to be a cheaper, albeit less democratic and open process) to fall apart doesn't look good.

Anyway, I'm sure Doha or Riyadh will be willing to step in(!) Those would be a better timezone for the UK audience at least...

https://twitter.com/9NewsQueensland/status/1769999194012442891?t=zJT-PMJWw6gNs6tsex0-Ew&s=19 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 19-03-2024

I don’t know if those two could step in without the IOC having to pay NBC a lot of money because those places can’t host in July so it would have to be January - March or November or December,

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - News Engineer - 19-03-2024

(19-03-2024, 02:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I know F1 moved their start times to 10 past for at least one season but then dropped it again, but again it was something that made sense in terms of ads within the clock hour, meaning those airing it uninterrupted could get at least one ad break in the 2pm hour before the start of the race.
That coincided with ESPN getting the US rights for F1 and initially saying there’d be no pre or post race show, that it’d just be world feed from the FOM intro until the podium. Starting at 10 past would mean they could come on air for the top of the hour.

Once ESPN changed their mind and took the Sky pre race show there was no need for the later start time, so it reverted to the top of the hour. They’re now gone further and are taking more of the sessions on the main channels, with less being streaming only.