Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 06-04-2024

(05-04-2024, 09:13 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I think RTÉ 2 used the World Feed intro for their coverage of the France v Republic of Ireland match. It’s short but quite nice with all the national flags breaking up and morphing into the Qualifiers logo.

Courtesy of S4C, here is the Women's European Qualifiers world feed intro. Very short.

Odd that the UEFA wordmark is not in the official logo, with that also the case for the men's qualifiers ever since they were centralised.

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/RhysJR/Fideo%20dideitl%20(4).mp4 

PS I don't see much point in S4C having same day highlights of a match that was on BBC Wales. I get it the other way around to an extent due to language accessibility (i.e. BBC Wales' highlights of the men's matches that was on S4C), but see little benefit this way round. This is the only regular BBC Wales prdouced football coverage for S4C (though it is the same on-air personnel involved).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 06-04-2024

Language accessibility works both ways - not sure if the BBC had Welsh language coverage too.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 06-04-2024

It’s the same in the men’s, no “Uefa” in the logo (though there is a “Uefa Presents” in the titles). Presumably that’s a concession to the fact that these are used for the World Cup qualifiers too, which is a FIFA competition.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 06-04-2024

(06-04-2024, 06:21 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Language accessibility works both ways - not sure if the BBC had Welsh language coverage too.

There was live commentary on Radio Cymru (and Radio Wales). Before the S4C highlights began last year, there was a Welsh language commentary feed on iPlayer/BBC Cymru Fyw, and no Welsh language radio coverage. The same commentary team has transferred over to the radio, and the only live feed with pictures is the English language broadcast shown on BBC One/Two Wales.

Not sure what best serves the audience, but the current opinion is live radio and TV highlights in Welsh.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - lookoutwales - 06-04-2024

Tuesday’s game against Kosovo is probably a little more in S4C’s favour with it being a 1pm kick off, but yes, not terribly ideal when there’s a quick turnaround between the final whistle and a fixed 10pm start for highlights.

I think some of the women’s commentaries went out on Radio Cymru 2 last year but with Sport now out-of-bounds, the main RC will be taking commentary from 12.45 - giving their lunchtime news programme ‘Dros Ginio’ the day off as it can’t interrupt the RC2 opts.

Likewise, Ifan Jones Evans’ show will start at 2pm on RC2 before normal service resumes at 3.15pm.

On a little side note, I was covering the game for radio last night (non-rights holder) - shared the Racecourse press room with make-up!

Busy weekend for Sioned Dafydd (S4C presenter - lovely to chat to her) as she was heading off afterwards to do Pres for two online-only games at Aberystwyth and Cardiff.

It comes across as a little odd that S4C say during their build-up of the Challenge Cup rugby union that they can't offer English language commentary due to other rights holders having the English language rights in the UK, only for no other broadcaster to show the game in the UK...
Factually correct no doubt, there are other games on Viaplay this weekend.

PS Typical that the grand return of live pro rugby to Bridgend for the first time since the New Year's Day washout is on a day with a named storm coming in, and the weather being getting increasingly more horrible in South Wales all day. Touch wood/fingers crossed etc., but the pitch and the broadcast is holding up better than NYD through to half-time.

(06-04-2024, 08:27 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Tuesday’s game against Kosovo is probably a little more in S4C’s favour with it being a 1pm kick off, but yes, not terribly ideal when there’s a quick turnaround between the final whistle and a fixed 10pm start for highlights.

I think some of the women’s commentaries went out on Radio Cymru 2 last year but with Sport now out-of-bounds, the main RC will be taking commentary from 12.45 - giving their lunchtime news programme ‘Dros Ginio’ the day off as it can’t interrupt the RC2 opts.

Likewise, Ifan Jones Evans’ show will start at 2pm on RC2 before normal service resumes at 3.15pm.

On a little side note, I was covering the game for radio last night (non-rights holder) - shared the Racecourse press room with make-up!

Busy weekend for Sioned Dafydd (S4C presenter - lovely to chat to her) as she was heading off afterwards to do Pres for two online-only games at Aberystwyth and Cardiff.

That makes more sense on Tuesday indeed. I think on at least one occasion last year, the S4C highlights was on the following evening which allows a bit more break to relive the game.

Radio Cymru a few years back, before they used RC2 as an overspill, put occasional out-of-hours sport on Radio Cymru DAB only. I wonder why they wouldn't do that again. The BBC Sounds stream only having one of the broadcasts apossible reasons, but the sport commentary could easily be picked up on the BBC Sport website/app only.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Newshound47 - 06-04-2024

As far as I can tell Ireland v England on Tuesday is only on ITV with no radio coverage.

(06-04-2024, 08:48 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  It comes across as a little odd that S4C say during their build-up of the Challenge Cup rugby union that they can't offer English language commentary due to other rights holders having the English language rights in the UK, only for no other broadcaster to show the game in the UK...
Factually correct no doubt, there are other games on Viaplay this weekend.

PS Typical that the grand return of live pro rugby to Bridgend for the first time since the New Year's Day washout is on a day with a named storm coming in, and the weather being getting increasingly more horrible in South Wales all day. Touch wood/fingers crossed etc., but the pitch and the broadcast is holding up better than NYD through to half-time.

The broadcast survived this time!

It seems to be an open secret what next week's schedule should be in the Champions Cup and Challenge Cup. A few times today, most recently by the S4C commentary team at full time, I've heard it confirmed the kick-off time next week for the quarter-final fixture of the winning team (Bulls are playing Sunday afternoon, Ospreys on Friday night). Good to see the organisers are being proactive to mitigate against the silly and tight turnaround between the two knockout fixtures.

ITVX did indeed only use the world feed on their live Serie A live coverage.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 07-04-2024

It’s an awful turnaround, gives clubs very little time to sell tickets. Leinster would fill the Aviva for the visit of La Rochelle next week (apparently a Saturday evening kick off) if they had more than 5 days to sell tickets.

Good to see Premier (and Viaplay presumably, on their penultimate day of broadcasting) carrying Connacht and Ulster’s Challenge Cup games today. It’ll be interesting to see how the UK and Irish operations of Premier get re-integrated (or not?) in due course following Tuesday’s rebrand back to Premier. (Nothing’s changed, by the way, pres wise with Premier since they exited the UK).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 07-04-2024

(07-04-2024, 11:53 AM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s an awful turnaround, gives clubs very little time to sell tickets. Leinster would fill the Aviva for the visit of La Rochelle next week (apparently a Saturday evening kick off) if they had more than 5 days to sell tickets.

Good to see Premier (and Viaplay presumably, on their penultimate day of broadcasting) carrying Connacht and Ulster’s Challenge Cup games today. It’ll be interesting to see how the UK and Irish operations of Premier get re-integrated (or not?) in due course following Tuesday’s rebrand back to Premier. (Nothing’s changed, by the way, pres wise with Premier since they exited the UK).

Summed up by ITV unable to plug their match next week because the schedule and TV split hasn't been decided yet.

I wonder how they could rectify it? They could have swapped last week and this week (so have a URC/Premiership/Top 14 match between the two knockouts). But on the other hand, it's nice that the Champions Cup Round of 16 is on a Women's Six Nations bye week this year. It's good that either got lost amongst the other's publicity, which was the case last year.