Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 10:22 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  As reported previously, TNT Sports have confirmed they are going to be showing the rugby Autumn Internationals this year. They also mention that there will be a FTA element which they are yet to confirm.

https://www.tntsports.co.uk/rugby/tnt-sports-and-discovery-to-exclusively-show-2024-autumn-nations-series-including-england-v-new-zeal_sto10080946/story.shtml 

You'd think sporting bodies would have enough sense to not announce something like this until they can stem the negative PR and be able to announce the FTA partner(s) simultaneously. There is no need to rush to announce this today. But, I do wonder how much of a coincidence it is that is TNT Sports involved in this and the FA Cup announcement.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 08-04-2024

It was certainly a dumb move by the FA but not so much of an issue in this case - indeed makes TNT look like the good guys offering some coverage back on FTA TV having been absent for a couple of years compared to the FA Cup where announcing early made them look like the bad guys taking away something that had been completely free for the last few years.

Remains to be seen what the FTA component is but the schedule works out quite nicely to give an FTA broadcaster one match each week covering each home nation against decent, but not flagship, opposition with matches against Fiji, Argentina and Japan, plus a fixture in week 2 involving Wales.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 08-04-2024

RTÉ have a rare sport clash tomorrow, with the national women's football team playing England, whilst they also have UEFA Champions League action featuring Real Madrid and Manchester City.

RTÉ Two will show the women's international, whilst the UCL will be moved to RTÉ News Channel. Not surre how much complaints on the ordering of those two matches is purely sexist, but some is down to RTÉ News not being available in HD I believe, and the lesser coverage the UCL will receive.

https://x.com/RTEsport/status/1777260119526404237 

(07-04-2024, 11:53 AM)Rdd Wrote:  It’s an awful turnaround, gives clubs very little time to sell tickets. Leinster would fill the Aviva for the visit of La Rochelle next week (apparently a Saturday evening kick off) if they had more than 5 days to sell tickets.

Good to see Premier (and Viaplay presumably, on their penultimate day of broadcasting) carrying Connacht and Ulster’s Challenge Cup games today. It’ll be interesting to see how the UK and Irish operations of Premier get re-integrated (or not?) in due course following Tuesday’s rebrand back to Premier. (Nothing’s changed, by the way, pres wise with Premier since they exited the UK).

Thankfully ticket sales are doing well for Leinster, but I do wonder, bar Gloucester v. Ospreys that is quite local, how much this will be replicated elsewhere.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1777345954338779323?t=ICyicdMVxwkPCJ6aL23vZg&s=19 

(08-04-2024, 04:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It was certainly a dumb move by the FA but not so much of an issue in this case - indeed makes TNT look like the good guys offering some coverage back on FTA TV having been absent for a couple of years compared to the FA Cup where announcing early made them look like the bad guys taking away something that had been completely free for the last few years.

Remains to be seen what the FTA component is but the schedule works out quite nicely to give an FTA broadcaster one match each week covering each home nation against decent, but not flagship, opposition with matches against Fiji, Argentina and Japan, plus a fixture in week 2 involving Wales.

I have seen some complaints relating to TNT being far more expensive than Amazon, but overall I see what you mean this is a better PR situation. As long it's not the fourth picks (i.e. all the Tier 2 games) a decent schedule for a FTA broadcaster should be easily acheivable. Like the Champions Cup has proved, nobody is really complaining that only Northampton v. Munster was on yesterday, despite it not being the first pick.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - bkman1990 - 08-04-2024

There will also be UCL highlights straight after the Women's Qualifier at the Aviva Stadium on Tuesday night at 10pm on RTÉ2.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 08-04-2024

35k by 3:40pm is amazing considering tickets only went on general sale at 2pm.

The RTE News Channel isn’t in HD on traditional platforms no, but there should be an option with the RTE Player.

Elsewhere, the Club Rugby World Cup story has come out of the woodwork again this evening, with talks apparently at advanced stage for a tournament which would take place in June every four years and replace the knockout stages of the Champions Cup, incorporating the top 8 EPCR, top 6 Sanzaar and top 2 Japanese clubs.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 08-04-2024

(08-04-2024, 06:40 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  RTÉ have a rare sport clash tomorrow, with the national women's football team playing England, whilst they also have UEFA Champions League action featuring Real Madrid and Manchester City.

RTÉ Two will show the women's international, whilst the UCL will be moved to RTÉ News Channel. Not surre how much complaints on the ordering of those two matches is purely sexist, but some is down to RTÉ News not being available in HD I believe, and the lesser coverage the UCL will receive.

https://x.com/RTEsport/status/1777260119526404237 
You'd think UEFA would be more conscious now of their top tier events not clashing.

(08-04-2024, 07:21 PM)Rdd Wrote:  35k by 3:40pm is amazing considering tickets only went on general sale at 2pm.

The RTE News Channel isn’t in HD on traditional platforms no, but there should be an option with the RTE Player.

Elsewhere, the Club Rugby World Cup story has come out of the woodwork again this evening, with talks apparently at advanced stage for a tournament which would take place in June every four years and replace the knockout stages of the Champions Cup, incorporating the top 8 EPCR, top 6 Sanzaar and top 2 Japanese clubs.
First I've heard of that and it sounds a terrible idea, especially book ending a single season (2027/28) with the actual World Cup and a
Micky Mouse World Cup

(08-04-2024, 08:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  You'd think UEFA would be more conscious now of their top tier events not clashing.

Not much they can do really. Most weeks when there's no men's UCL, there is UWCL action, and it's almost impossible to find room to have any other clash really. And it will get even worse next year with the UCL overflowing with extra matchdays.
Maybe the internationals this week should have been Friday-Monday, or Thursday-Monday. The UWCL fixtures are scheduled quite well some of the time, taking place on Tuesday/Wednesday ahead of the men's internationals, and the Wednesday/Thursday afterwards.

ARD and ZDF in Germany got criticised in the autumn when women's internationals clashed with live DFB-Pokal ties, with the DFB-Pokal matches airing on the linear TV channels and the Germany women's games online only (they remained steadfast that only the one channel show live sport at once).

(08-04-2024, 08:30 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  First I've heard of that and it sounds a terrible idea, especially book ending a single season (2027/28) with the actual World Cup and a
Micky Mouse World Cup

How that would look like for players. They will all be dead on the floor.

https://x.com/willgkelleher/status/1777389455218774073 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-04-2024

And so Premier Sports is here again in the UK. No sign of any app yet, but the website and social media is up and running/rebranded. I don't think Viaplay had channels streams on their website, but they are on the new Premier website. La Liga TV I think has also returned as a stand alone stream. (PS The favicon below is still the Viaplay logo).

The Irish website (which is without streaming) remains. But their Twitter account (which I don't think had posted since Wimbledon having only launched in May last year) has had all activity deleted.

https://twitter.com/PremSportsTV/status/1777611349117333996?t=Gz7EGrmZjVkU5rYYM87jwg&s=19 

https://premiersports.com/gb 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 09-04-2024

The nature of the wholesale deal with Sky is that Premier Sports, just like TNT, can’t market direct to consumer in Ireland. So no streaming service for us. The linear channels are on Now but with no on demand content or red button streams (same goes for TNT).

Whether that arrangement will survive the current FAPL rights cycle will probably be more down to TNT and whether they want to retail D2C in Ireland themselves, as Premier has effectively piggy backed on their deal (in Ireland, you can’t take TNT Sports without also taking Premier Sports, and vice-versa).

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-04-2024

(06-04-2024, 08:27 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Tuesday’s game against Kosovo is probably a little more in S4C’s favour with it being a 1pm kick off, but yes, not terribly ideal when there’s a quick turnaround between the final whistle and a fixed 10pm start for highlights.

I think some of the women’s commentaries went out on Radio Cymru 2 last year but with Sport now out-of-bounds, the main RC will be taking commentary from 12.45 - giving their lunchtime news programme ‘Dros Ginio’ the day off as it can’t interrupt the RC2 opts.

Likewise, Ifan Jones Evans’ show will start at 2pm on RC2 before normal service resumes at 3.15pm.

On a little side note, I was covering the game for radio last night (non-rights holder) - shared the Racecourse press room with make-up!

Busy weekend for Sioned Dafydd (S4C presenter - lovely to chat to her) as she was heading off afterwards to do Pres for two online-only games at Aberystwyth and Cardiff.

Bit more sensible from Radio Wales compared to Radio Cymru, with the football going out on AM and Radio Wales Extra (i.e. a secondary stream on Sounds that is rarely anything other than a simulcast of the main station). Normal programming on FM, DAB and the primary Sounds stream.

The S4C highlights tonight are at 6pm, and then repeated at 10pm.