Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 08-04-2023

Think there's also a posibilty for all four corners to be filled with graphics at some point. The right hand corners contain graphics throughout the coverage, but I think I can remember the name/score graphic appear in the top left on occasion in previous years.

EDIT: There's a graphic in the top left corner here, so both top corners have graphics that can be obscured by a DOG.
https://twitter.com/rod27614/status/1644449825033981952?t=1TDr5_s5CPlpny1Xn_T_ag&s=19 

The BBC do not have linear highlights this year but they still do have digital clips.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/golf/65221447 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - dvboy - 09-04-2023

There's a bonkers amount of sport on the BBC next weekend with clearly not enough channels to show it all in full.
Meanwhile BBC News is being simulcast on BBC Parliament.
Surely there is a technical solution somewhere that could give some capacity over to an extended BBC Three or Four in the daytime during weekends and recess?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - bkman1990 - 09-04-2023

Leinster's tie with Toulouse in the Heineken Champions Cup Semi-Finals will take place on 28th of April.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-04-2023

Interesting suggestion here that in the medium-distant future, the Premier League could launch its own streaming service to broadcast games rather than hand rights to the likes of Sky and BT.

Two immediate points that come to my mind is that the Premier League has guaranteed income in the current system that it would not if it needs to court subscribers. Secondly, the article seems to suggest this would be great for the viewer with a reduction in necessary subscriptions, but this system would require more subscriptions if every competition and league would do likewise; there would be little chance of watching the Championship and the Premier League with one subscription like you can with Sky, or the Champions League and the Premier League with one subscription like you can currently with BT.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-sky-sports-plan-29660799#amp-readmore-target 

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 05:43 AM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Leinster's tie with Toulouse in the Heineken Champions Cup Semi-Finals will take place on 28th of April.

I haven’t seen that confirmed anywhere yet.

The FAPL…I think they’d be taking a big risk to move to D2C at this point, believe it or not there are many Sky Sports and BT subscribers who have no interest in the PL but all of them are paying for it. For Sky the FAPL has been the rock their entire house is built on and losing it would totally shake their business model to its foundations. I think the better view might be that at least at first they could try a hybrid model, with Sky at least retaining a share of the rights and games being televised by an in-house service in lieu of the secondary rights holder perhaps (or maybe being games that aren’t currently on TV). 

On a related note, this weekend is the start of the GAA championships in Ireland and their big experiment of moving to a D2C model began yesterday with the perhaps not heavily anticipated fixture of New York v Leitrim (although there was a shock result in it) but there will be bigger games to come. GAA Go, run by RTE with a 50% stake by the GAA is effectively replacing Sky as secondary rights holder while RTE itself retain their traditional majority share of the rights. This could be a model the FAPL could follow as I say through I’m not sure how it’s going to work out for the GAA.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 09-04-2023

(03-04-2023, 10:14 PM)Rdd Wrote:  The dates for 23-24 were announced today with four weeks for the pool stages, as in recent years, so seems safe to say we won’t be going back to four team groups next season at any rate.

But this particular TV rights deal is unusually short, only covering this season and next. That does give scope for a format change in 24-25. There has been reports in some media outlets that, at that point, the EPCR, PRL, and URC rights will be bundled together, at the behest of common PRL and URC shareholder CVC. The idea is that the winning broadcaster would become the U.K. and Irish “Home of Rugby” but it would be a mammoth task to take on that on a weekly basis. The URC is a tricky one as it effectively demands all games be broadcast; fans in each country mainly want to see games involving that countries teams.

Really wouldn't be great news for club rugby bundling everything together - and the URC would likely suffer the most.   It needs it's regional arrangement across the home nations to be relevant.

Already think international rugby coverage is suffering from being lumped together - of course the Six Nations should be but putting all the eggs into one broadcaster for the remaining coverage is just closing off options moving forward - granted Amazon were paying more but ensuring the BBC, Sky, BT and C4 had a foot in the door for the internationals meant that moving forward there would be interest in future rights.  

We've seen with Sky and cricket in particular that they'll pay up at first to keep the competition away but down the line those selling the rights don't have other options as the broadcasters who have been locked out for years are no longer interested in the product.

And on that note still think it's foolish County Cricket isn't debundled from the England rights.   Sky aren't interested in it, well certainly not the County Championship Games.   They are screening one this week but IPL takes priority on Sky Sports Cricket.    OK, maybe the market isn't there for it and nowadays counties have their own streaming arrangements, but if one broadcaster did take it on - even for a nominal fee - and gave one match coverage every week regardless of what was going on with England cricket and the shorter forms of the games it would raise the profile significantly.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 09-04-2023

ITV's rugby coverage this afternoon is using the green screen studio. I believe it's the first use outside of the Six Nations.

It's quite an effort from ITV concerning rugby, between the start of the year and the end of April they have only four weekends without any live coverage.

Champions Cup and Challenge Cup semi-finals confirmed.

All four matches on BT Sport.
Both ITV and RTÉ will show Leinster v. Toulouse on the Saturday.
Scarlets v. Glasgow from the Challenge Cup live on S4C.

Looks like RTÉ have a far better deal than Virgin Media did in the last rights cycle; they've showed an Irish team on every weekend and all three knockout rounds there has only been one match with Irish involvement, so they look to have first pick of sorts. Think the semi-finals will be the first weekend where ITV and RTÉ have showed the same match, which is a welcome change from Channel 4 and Virgin Media having to show the same match every weekend last year. 
ITV's deal are probably closer to the Channel 4 deal than the Irish equivalent; they possibly would have chosen Exeter* this week and next round but they have got very good matches with British/Irish involvement regardless.

Worth noting that it appears (via the likes of their commentary used internationally and on the YouTube highlights) that RTÉ and ITV have been host broadcaster for every match they've shown (bar ITV today). If that contonues, it could mean that BT will not be host broadcaster for any remaining Champions Cup games.

*Only English home team/only English team remaining

Usual caveat that French matches are in CEST, so kick-offs are Saturday 15:00 & 17:30, Sunday 12:30 & 15:00
[Image: FtSMY_8XgAQI8GH?format=jpg&name=large]
[Image: FtSM-EyWYAEafHV?format=jpg&name=medium]

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Rdd - 09-04-2023

Yeah I’m surprised about that, because up until now it’s been strictly an English team pick on ITV, Irish team pick on RTE, and the only Welsh team, Ospreys (while they were still in the tournament) had all their games on S4C. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d think BT as main rights holder were probably allowed to “protect” one of the games from FTA coverage, leaving RTE and ITV to have the other game - which obviously (if that is the case) worked out better for RTE than ITV.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Humphrey Hacker - 09-04-2023

(09-04-2023, 06:55 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Interesting suggestion here that in the medium-distant future, the Premier League could launch its own streaming service to broadcast games rather than hand rights to the likes of Sky and BT.

Two immediate points that come to my mind is that the Premier League has guaranteed income in the current system that it would not if it needs to court subscribers. Secondly, the article seems to suggest this would be great for the viewer with a reduction in necessary subscriptions, but this system would require more subscriptions if every competition and league would do likewise; there would be little chance of watching the Championship and the Premier League with one subscription like you can with Sky, or the Champions League and the Premier League with one subscription like you can currently with BT.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-sky-sports-plan-29660799#amp-readmore-target 

Yes I've seen that as well and I have to ask why?  It seems to me that the PL are biting the hand that feeds them. Sky and BT are likely concerned that without the PL their subs will drop a lot.

No disrespect to the Championship etc but the PL is the jewel in Sky's crown.