Pres Café
The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (/showthread.php?tid=97)

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - NI92 - 16-04-2023

(16-04-2023, 07:47 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Have they still got a third presenter - Radzi used to do the morning slot IIRC.

Rishi Persad is on BBC Four now, he returned last year and mainly did the morning slot with Seema & Jason sharing the evening on BBC Four & Hazel mainly afternoons on BBC Two but doubt we will see Seema as she is pregnant and must be due to go on maternity leave

to reply to RhysJR
Phil Haigh who hosts the Talking Snooker Podcast reported in the Metro that Taylor was staying on as well as JV, suppose it is a wait and see
https://metro.co.uk/2023/03/29/bbc-u-turn-as-john-virgo-to-stay-on-snooker-coverage-for-foreseeable-future-18524565/ 

In other WSC news Mark Allen made his World Championship Co-Commentary debut today alongside Dennis Taylor for the conclusion of the Bingham v Gilbert match, he did a few matches for the BBC at the UK Championship which he won in December and interestingly if Allen wins his 1st round match he will play Stuart Bingham in the 2nd Round.  I know it has been getting some mixed reaction on twitter but I think it is good the BBC are involving current names in the coverage the last few years with Jack Lisowski, Joe Perry, Judd Trump & Shaun Murphy all being part of their World Championship coverage the last few years

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Robinho02 - 16-04-2023

I searched for this new BBC Snooker podcast ‘Snookered’ mentioned in the Metro article on BBC Sounds.

I found it, plus another BBC Snooker podcast called ‘Framed’, which has been weekly since October 2022.

Nice to have one BBC Snooker podcast on BBC Sounds - but two?

One seems to be made by BBC Scotland and the other by BBC Essex, but both seem to be aimed at a UK wide audience.

Seems like a very weird way to spend the BBC’s very limited resources. And shouldn’t they be spending their resources at content aimed for audiences in Scotland and Essex? Are they just all chasing as many listeners as poss and appealing to a nationwide audience gives them that?

And where’s the coordination at BBC Sounds?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 17-04-2023

Snooker the latest sport to be disrupted by protesters.

https://twitter.com/OOCSnooker/status/1648029424736952322?s=20 

Worth noting that the broadcast has kept away from showing the protesters exstensively and cut away to a wide shot as soon as the disruption began.

Contrasting with Saturday, I do question why ITV gave so much coverage to the protests during the broadcast, as the policy across all sports coverage generally is to avoid showing protestors and give oxygen to their cause. Granted this protest was against the thing being shown on the broadcast (the horse racing) which is different to a climate protestor in the Premier League for example, so it could justify a bit more of a mention to not brush the issue under the carpet.

BBC Four sticking with highlights of previous action from the day. Rishi Persad quite the unlucky charm when it comes to sporting events being disrupted these last few days.

Table 1 was damaged by what Rishi said they believe is dried paint, Table 2 unaffected but both table suspended.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - RhysJR - 17-04-2023

Update: Table 2 has resumed, Table 1 (the one damaged with the orange powder) will need to be reclothed which can't be done whilst there's action on the other table. Plan is that if one match finishes quickly, the other can move onto that table.

Presumably if the Milkins v. Perry (from Table 1) can't be concluded tonight, they can try and fit it in at the end of another session tomorrow. There's no morning session on Thursday if they're really struggling to fit it all in.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - harshy - 17-04-2023

Looks like they cut away from the world feed as the co commentator was still commentating on the terrible scenes.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - Brekkie - 17-04-2023

Could they have chosen a lower profile event to protest at - the final or semi-final I'd understand, but a round 1 match that doesn't even feature a big name, and is on BBC4 rather than BBC2 (if it was even the match being shown) doesn't suggest much thought.

As for ITV and the Grand National - there has always been protests about that and I think it is right they are covered, though it seems they were dismissive of protests in a way they weren't at the Qatar World Cup for example.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - bkman1990 - 17-04-2023

I had missed out on seeing the protestor live on TV at The Crucible this evening. But I am very surprised that the protestors actually tried to damage a snooker table to somehow get their point across to the audience.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - harshy - 17-04-2023

I never been to one of these events but surely they check for stuff these days before entering the zone ?

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - bilky asko - 17-04-2023

(17-04-2023, 08:20 PM)harshy Wrote:  I never been to one of these events but surely they check for stuff these days before entering the zone ?

The protest consisted of a T-shirt and a bag of orange powder. Very easy to conceal, and I doubt the security would be looking for such items anyway.

RE: The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own - jlmiller - 17-04-2023

Seems that the BBC Sport website is reporting that the protesters are from the Just Stop Oil group - definitely not related to the protests at the Grand National over the weekend - also mentions that another protester tried to glue themselves to the other table.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/65305903